Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Bakersfield is a joke"

Re: "Bakersfield is a joke"

If you look at the link that I posted above you can see an aerial view of the stadium and the back of the wall. You can see that, even with batters in the shade, the fans sitting right behind home plate are still looking into the sun. That can't be good.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

This place looks like a neglected college ballpark.

But if the primary complaint is with the playing surface, then how difficult/expensive would it be to till, level and re-sod the field? The playing surface is independent of the surrounding ballpark structure, right?
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-11-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

But if the primary complaint is with the playing surface, then how difficult/expensive would it be to till, level and re-sod the field? The playing surface is independent of the surrounding ballpark structure, right?
    That would be correct I'd wager.

I can not believe any major league team would not invest the 1mm to fix a playing field for their future players.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

I imagine cost would vary depending on location. Two years ago the Carolina Mudcats club totally replaced the field at Five County Stadium. The original field had been in use since the Mudcats opened the park in 1991. Looking over some stuff I found, the cost two years ago here was around $800,000. That was a total replacement.

David Bell is gonna be able to tell his guys get it together or it's Bakersfield for you. The Double-A equivilent of "Scared Straight." Dayton guys are gonna play their butts off just to try to skip a level.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I imagine cost would vary depending on location. Two years ago the Carolina Mudcats club totally replaced the field at Five County Stadium. The original field had been in use since the Mudcats opened the park in 1991. Looking over some stuff I found, the cost two years ago here was around $800,000. That was a total replacement.
    $800,000, even as a ballpark estimation is completely worth reducing the risk of a serious injury. Even field turf, while it looks awful on a baseball field, is a uniform playing surface and can be installed starting around $1M. Again, it's a small investment to make, IMO. Professional ballplayers absolutely should not be playing on a sandlot.

Could the owners be held liable if such an injury occurred as a result of a poor playing surface?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Mudcats are moving to Pensacola in 2012 and will still be in the Southern League.

There was a post that I can't find where the poster likened the Reds/Bakersfield agreement as being the last 2 people in the bar. Seems to be accurate. Reds had all their teams from Low-A on up in reasonably close proximity to Cincy, in regions where there is significant following. I would love to see some way to locate this team in W.Va., there is such a loyal Reds following there.

If by some long shot (and I ain't giving up) the Bakersfield team ends up in Carolina in 2013, I believe it would be a very good fit for the Reds and the Carolina League.

Of the eight teams in the Carolina League, the Kinston Indians were last in attendance this year. They drew a total of 118,741 for an average of 1,799. Kinston is a very small market.

By comparison, the Mudcats were fifth in attendance in the Southern League out of ten teams with a total gate of 255,360. We averaged 3,811 a game. Keep in mind, the Mudcats are the most inconvenient road trip for most other teams in the league and vice versa. There is no visiting team interest when teams come here and when we go on the the road. (Exception: JaxRed) The Mudcats location currently is not a good one in the SL layout.

If the Reds were to put the Advanced A team here when we move to the CL we would, based on 2010 numbers, be fourth in the league in attendance. Keep in mind, Winston-Salem opened a brand new park in 2010 so I don't know that their attendance will be what it was in 2010 on a consistent basis. Also, the Mudcats will be in a league that is very suitable for their location.

I believe any team located here after 2012 would draw very well.
    Last edited by muddie; 12-18-2010 at 07:16 AM.

I was at a game in the Bakersfield stadium roughly 15 years ago. I didn't think it was that bad of a stadium at all, thought it was rather nice. Although, I was pretty young at the time, I remember it rather clearly.

Bob Feller was there signing autographs.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    David Bell is gonna be able to tell his guys get it together or it's Bakersfield for you. The Double-A equivilent of "Scared Straight." Dayton guys are gonna play their butts off just to try to skip a level.
    When the Indy Indians were the Milwaukee Brewers farm team, and the Brewers played in old County Stadium, I imagine the thrill of being called to the big leagues was tempered somewhat by the fact they were going to a colder city with a worse stadium and fewer fans.

Now that they're the Pirates triple A team. Well, at least the stadium's not a downgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Not all is lost in Bakersfield. They are hosting the ECHL All-Star game in January. That's right, California is hosting the EAST Coast Hockey League ASG. No wonder GPS's are so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Maybe for once the Dragons will make the playoffs.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?