Jocketty on #reds: "We've had zero conversations with agents or clubs today."

This quote started a bit of a firestorm on ORD and a fair number of complaints. Some complained based on its possible truth... some complained on the fact that it was publicly announced and thereby disheartening the fan base.

I think quotes like this, stating a lack of action, are all too rare. This is a necessary Agent Control measure.

In other words, if GMs insinuate that they are working on multiple deals, it is the Agents that use this public data to drive up the price of clients. After the TX news report that the Reds might be talking to Cliff Lee, and so on, I thought it was wise for Jocketty to let other GM's know that they might be bidding against themselves... ESPECIALLY after the Jayson Werth deal.

Deals that vastly overpay hurt the entire league and therefor the fans as well. I wonder how many small market teams have upped the offer just on the rumor that some other team is gonna pay bigger bucks? If the Reds are not bidding on Lee and/or other players, it is better for baseball that they let everyone know that.

Secrecy on trades makes sense, but I never understood the secrecy on free agent signings. Its not like the agent is going to cut off the bidding before he gives ever team out there the chance to beat the best current offer.

That said, i guess you could say that you are helping your team by pulling resources from another... but i really think that is short sighted and leads to the unending salary inflation that is causing the realm of haves and have nots in baseball.