Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Cairo Signs 2 Year Deal (per Mark Sheldon)

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Cairo Close to Returning to Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cairo Close to Returning to Reds

I hope it's only a minor league deal. It's unlikely the Reds catch lightning in a bottle twice with Cairo.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I hope it's only a minor league deal. It's unlikely the Reds catch lightning in a bottle twice with Cairo.
    I agree, but I'd guess that it's likely a one-year deal worth close to $1MM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Can't imagine that it is.

Cairo exceeded expectations last year but even with a significant slip he's ok as a 25th player. Can't say I want him as the primary BU at 3rd and 1st though.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Hopefully there is still room on the bench for Cozart as I've read somewhere to be the primary defensive IF replacement/back up.

I like Miggy though and hope he has another productive year. He seems to love to play the game and that kind of spirit is infectious in a clubhouse.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Hopefully Cozart or Valaika are the primary MI backups, with Francisco or Alonso on the corners. I hope this deal is for $1MM or less.
    Go BLUE!!!

Well that would just lock up the division for us, I'd say.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Miguel Cairo Signs 2 Year Deal (per Mark Sheldon)

Re: Miguel Cairo Signs 2 Year Deal (per Mark Sheldon)

Wow. I don't think anyone saw two years. This goes to show how important certain people view intangibles.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

No problem bringing him back, but two years Walt? The guy will be 37 next year. Cairo is the position player version of Mike Lincoln, without the injuries. In an up year, he's solid. But betting on a string of good years probably isn't the greatest idea.

He must be one heck of an intangibles guy...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Two years is very surprising. I'm glad to have Cairo back but two years makes no sense at all.

I was on board with bringing him back, but not sure I get the 2-years aspect. Utilitymen shouldn't be signed to multi-year deals unless they're extremely valuable. But especially ones in their late 30s.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Fwiw, it's been said that he's an expert at finding out which pitchers are tipping pitches. That has a lot of value.
    nb4"then hire him as a coach instead"

I assume that we will find out that there is a team option or year 2 and this is a way to defer some money.

Turn Off Ads?