Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Intersted In Bartlett

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds Intersted In Bartlett

Steve Phillips: Source says the Reds are in on Jason Bartlett, but that money is an issue

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Intersted In Bartlett

Just saw that. I really don't understand it. Offensively they're very similar (in terms of what one should expect in 2011) and by most accounts, Bartlett's defense has taken a step back. I guess it would be a good depth move, but if the idea is that he'd be a solution for our leadoff hitter and would take the job from Janish, I'd be disappointed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Just saw that. I really don't understand it. Offensively they're very similar (in terms of what one should expect in 2011) and by most accounts, Bartlett's defense has taken a step back. I guess it would be a good depth move, but if the idea is that he'd be a solution for our leadoff hitter and would take the job from Janish, I'd be disappointed.
    Bartlett is clearly better offensively than Janish IMO and would likely benefit from coming to the weaker league.

I still have a hard time believing Janish could OPS much over .600 if given 500 AB's. All you have to do is look at his monthly splits to see that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Ehh, just say no. Unless we get the Rays to pick up a bunch of salary.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Bartlett is clearly better offensively than Janish IMO and would likely benefit from coming to the weaker league.

I still have a hard time believing Janish could OPS much over .600 if given 500 AB's. All you have to do is look at his monthly splits to see that.
    From last year? He only had two months under .600 and I don't think that really means anything. He only had 19 and 15 PA in those months. He seemed to hit pretty well in the months that he was playing a lot. That said, I don't really think monthly splits mean much anyway.

I'm not all that high on Janish's bat, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to OPS over .600 over a full season given what he did last year, which was OPS over .700. I suspect the difference between his bat and Bartlett's isn't all that great. The difference between their gloves is probably sizable, though, as Bartlett has seemingly slowed down quite a bit over the last few years.

Bartlett doesn't appear to be a bad acquisition, just a bit of a puzzling one because he's probably not a clear upgrade over Janish and Cozart. If the FO isn't sold on Janish as an everday SS for half a season, I suppose Bartlett would make sense as a half season bridge to Cozart. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Ehh, just say no. Unless we get the Rays to pick up a bunch of salary.
    I still think the Reds should trade for Brendan Ryan. He is on the outs with LaRussa, and it seems like they are desperate to trade him. LaRussa said today that they won't release him... I was actually starting to wonder if they would. I'm afraid they will trade him for nothing though. They don't want him in the clubhouse anymore... I think that's all it comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I still think the Reds should trade for Brendan Ryan. He is on the outs with LaRussa, and it seems like they are desperate to trade him. LaRussa said today that they won't release him... I was actually starting to wonder if they would. I'm afraid they will trade him for nothing though.
    Him and Rasmus for a bag of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Him and Rasmus for a bag of balls.
    Not even LaRussa can get Rasmus out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    From last year? He only had two months under .600 and I don't think that really means anything. He only had 19 and 15 PA in those months. He seemed to hit pretty well in the months that he was playing a lot. That said, I don't really think monthly splits mean much anyway.

I'm not all that high on Janish's bat, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to OPS over .600 over a full season given what he did last year, which was OPS over .700. I suspect the difference between his bat and Bartlett's isn't all that great. The difference between their gloves is probably sizable, though, as Bartlett has seemingly slowed down quite a bit over the last few years.

Bartlett doesn't appear to be a bad acquisition, just a bit of a puzzling one because he's probably not a clear upgrade over Janish and Cozart. If the FO isn't sold on Janish as an everday SS for half a season, I suppose Bartlett would make sense as a half season bridge to Cozart. Maybe.
    I agree with your assessment there. I was very anti-Janish coming into this season, especially offensively. But he showed me a lot last year in that he can handle his own offensively against mediocre pitching. He is still going to get owned by great pitching, but I can live with that. Bartlett will probably get owned by good pitching as well.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Senor Votto

I still think the Reds should trade for Brendan Ryan. He is on the outs with LaRussa, and it seems like they are desperate to trade him. LaRussa said today that they won't release him... I was actually starting to wonder if they would. I'm afraid they will trade him for nothing though. They don't want him in the clubhouse anymore... I think that's all it comes down to.
    I'd rather have Dave Concepcion at the age of 62 playing shortstop for the Reds every day than Brendan Ryan. Okay I'm only half serious

Janish is a better hitter, a better defender, and is cheap. Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition.

Not even LaRussa can get Rasmus out of town.
    Alright.. Throw in a autograph CD from Bronson Arroyo then.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post

I'm talking more 2009-2010.

Basically he was pretty good in July and August of last year, other than that not so much. I'm just not buying it yet. I think bringing in Bartlett and letting the best man win in spring training seems like a good plan.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'd rather have Dave Concepcion at the age of 62 playing shortstop for the Reds every day than Brendan Ryan. Okay I'm only half serious
    Why? He probably has the same opinion of Chris Carpenter and Tony LaRussa as most members of Redzone do. lol

Besides, Dusty seems like the kind of manager that Ryan would play well for.

Cruisin' for trouble

Bartlett to the Padres.

Turn Off Ads?