I sort of want to expand on the videogame talk a bit. I would actually like to know what everyone's all time favorite video games are and maybe actually give a reason why. Here is my list, not in any particular order:
1. Rome: Total War- I don't think you can go wrong with any of the games in the Total War series even taking into account the much maligned Empire Total War (which I loved btw, ship battles FTW!). However, Rome Total War was the best of the series in my opinion. Even though it came out around 2004, it still can compete with a lot of games as far as graphics goes. The game play feels epic and the different unit types depending on what country you play makes it truely feel like you are playing something new every time you pick it up. There is nothing like controling 20,000 men on a battlefield, trying to conquer new lands for the Empire. Maybe the best RTS game available. Even today it is a fun game to play and full of surprises.
2. Civilization series- I have wasted many of a good hour trying to forge my empire in this game. There aren't a whole lot of games out there like it.
3. Dragon Age- This might be the most epic single player game I have ever played. The story is excellent and massive. It seemed like it took me at least a week to finish one character. After that was finished, I started a new character with different storylines. Bio-Ware did an excellent job in voice acting and every character you play will have a different storyline and ending.
4. Knights of the Old Republic- Another game by Bio-Ware that takes story telling to a new level in video games. The fighting is dynamic and the choices you make truely do have drastic consequences in the long run. Playing as a Sith was just awesome. This game pushed Bio-Ware to the forfront of game developers if you are looking for in depth story.
5. Assassins Creed 2- While I loved the first game, the second game blew it out of the water in my opinion. The graphics were upgraded, the story is better and longer, the weapons are better, etc. Everything about this game is a complete upgrade from the first. I just can't wait to see what they have in store for the 3rd one.
6. Mass Effect series- I couldn't pick which one I liked the most out of the two games. The first game had a better story while the second game improved on the mechanics of the first and it felt like a better game than the first. Still, the story alone in the first game gives it high marks in my opinion. Really, both games are like one giant story so I guess you could lump them together. I have a feeling the 3rd game is going to be massive and the best of the series. Sounds like a broken record but another Bio Ware game that is amazing.
7. MLB The Show- I love this game. Its addicting and it is probably one of the best sports games I have played. The Road To the Show is just awesome. Its great trying to get your player to break the home run record or pitch a no-hitter.
8. Command and Conquer- This game introduced me to the RTS genre of games. It was a game that was almost ahead of its time. I loved Red Alert but the original was always my favorite.
9. Mario 64- I still love to play this game even after all these years. What still amazes me is how massive of a game it was considering it was being played on the Nintendo 64 engine.
10. Mario Bros.- This game really introduced me to video games. Though blowing on the nintendo cartrage got annoying after a while (anyone who had the original Nintendo knows what I mean), the original Mario Brothers was just awesome.
Fallout 3- Probably as large as Dragon Age in size, its just a bad a$$ game. However, there are times where being massive can be a problem. There is a lot of travel time within the game and not as many bad guys as I would want. Also the bugs in the PC game cannot be ignored. Even with all that said, its well worth the money. Truely a unique game.
God of War series- Playing as Krotos makes me want to go smash something. He is probably one of the most bad a$$ characters you will find in any game. The game mechanics are amazing and the Graphics have constantly pushed the limit to the Playstation engine (PS2 and PS3). God of War 3 is almost on the level of a painting, in my opinion. The HD graphics in that game and the large scope made it probably the best of the series. However the short length of the games (anywhere from 7-10 hours) makes the prices tag almost too much for the game. Still worth to get in my opinion if you have extra money and definently worth a rent if you haven't played it already. Besides, any game that makes you go out and buy a completely new gaming system needs to be at least put in an honorable mention category.
Uncharted 2- This is just an awesome game. Still, it has the same problem that GoW series has, which is length of game/price ratio. Still well worth the rent. Almost put it in my top 10.
Sins of a Solar Empire- Great space game. Lack of single player story gets it marked down.