Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Video Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Favorite Video Games

I sort of want to expand on the videogame talk a bit. I would actually like to know what everyone's all time favorite video games are and maybe actually give a reason why. Here is my list, not in any particular order:

1. Rome: Total War- I don't think you can go wrong with any of the games in the Total War series even taking into account the much maligned Empire Total War (which I loved btw, ship battles FTW!). However, Rome Total War was the best of the series in my opinion. Even though it came out around 2004, it still can compete with a lot of games as far as graphics goes. The game play feels epic and the different unit types depending on what country you play makes it truely feel like you are playing something new every time you pick it up. There is nothing like controling 20,000 men on a battlefield, trying to conquer new lands for the Empire. Maybe the best RTS game available. Even today it is a fun game to play and full of surprises.

2. Civilization series- I have wasted many of a good hour trying to forge my empire in this game. There aren't a whole lot of games out there like it.

3. Dragon Age- This might be the most epic single player game I have ever played. The story is excellent and massive. It seemed like it took me at least a week to finish one character. After that was finished, I started a new character with different storylines. Bio-Ware did an excellent job in voice acting and every character you play will have a different storyline and ending.

4. Knights of the Old Republic- Another game by Bio-Ware that takes story telling to a new level in video games. The fighting is dynamic and the choices you make truely do have drastic consequences in the long run. Playing as a Sith was just awesome. This game pushed Bio-Ware to the forfront of game developers if you are looking for in depth story.

5. Assassins Creed 2- While I loved the first game, the second game blew it out of the water in my opinion. The graphics were upgraded, the story is better and longer, the weapons are better, etc. Everything about this game is a complete upgrade from the first. I just can't wait to see what they have in store for the 3rd one.

6. Mass Effect series- I couldn't pick which one I liked the most out of the two games. The first game had a better story while the second game improved on the mechanics of the first and it felt like a better game than the first. Still, the story alone in the first game gives it high marks in my opinion. Really, both games are like one giant story so I guess you could lump them together. I have a feeling the 3rd game is going to be massive and the best of the series. Sounds like a broken record but another Bio Ware game that is amazing.

7. MLB The Show- I love this game. Its addicting and it is probably one of the best sports games I have played. The Road To the Show is just awesome. Its great trying to get your player to break the home run record or pitch a no-hitter.

8. Command and Conquer- This game introduced me to the RTS genre of games. It was a game that was almost ahead of its time. I loved Red Alert but the original was always my favorite.

9. Mario 64- I still love to play this game even after all these years. What still amazes me is how massive of a game it was considering it was being played on the Nintendo 64 engine.

10. Mario Bros.- This game really introduced me to video games. Though blowing on the nintendo cartrage got annoying after a while (anyone who had the original Nintendo knows what I mean), the original Mario Brothers was just awesome.

Honorable Mentions:

Fallout 3- Probably as large as Dragon Age in size, its just a bad a$$ game. However, there are times where being massive can be a problem. There is a lot of travel time within the game and not as many bad guys as I would want. Also the bugs in the PC game cannot be ignored. Even with all that said, its well worth the money. Truely a unique game.

God of War series- Playing as Krotos makes me want to go smash something. He is probably one of the most bad a$$ characters you will find in any game. The game mechanics are amazing and the Graphics have constantly pushed the limit to the Playstation engine (PS2 and PS3). God of War 3 is almost on the level of a painting, in my opinion. The HD graphics in that game and the large scope made it probably the best of the series. However the short length of the games (anywhere from 7-10 hours) makes the prices tag almost too much for the game. Still worth to get in my opinion if you have extra money and definently worth a rent if you haven't played it already. Besides, any game that makes you go out and buy a completely new gaming system needs to be at least put in an honorable mention category.

Uncharted 2- This is just an awesome game. Still, it has the same problem that GoW series has, which is length of game/price ratio. Still well worth the rent. Almost put it in my top 10.

Sins of a Solar Empire- Great space game. Lack of single player story gets it marked down.

Re: Favorite Video Games

Mine begins and ends with just 3 games.........OOTP Baseball, Football Manager (soccer), and MLB: The Show.

RPG
    - Shining Force & Shining Force 2 on Sega (favorite game from my childhood)
    - Fallout 3 & New Vegas
    - Dragon Age: Origins
    - World of Warcraft (evil, evil game... ate 3 years of my free time)

Sports
    - Fifa
    - Madden (many years, but 2006 was probably the best)
    - MLB: The Show
    - NBA Jam

RTS
    - Warcraft 2
    - Starcraft
    - C&C Red Alert

Strategy
    - SimCity Series
    - Civilization Series

Action/Advenure
    - Diablo & Diablo II

The bolded ones were my biggest time sinks that I go back to again and again...
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I love a lot of different games, I'm such a nerd when it comes to gaming.

I can't put a whole list together, but I do know that my number one game of all-time is StarCraft. The Original and expansion. I still play that game all the time.

Halo: Reach - Definitely a fun game. My favorite Halo game. Master Chief is awesome, but Noble Team are pretty B.A. Great great story, and the multiplayer is amazing.

Halo Wars - I love RTS, and a Halo RTS? What genius'!

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare and 2 - I love these games. Multiplayer was fun for both, and the stories I thought were awesome. I really can't wait for the next installment in the Modern Warfare series!

Fable II & III - I guess I just have a thing for story driven games, haha. These games were fun, and I liked all the choices that each game had. Sometimes it's refreshing to make your own choices instead of following a linear story.
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I love a lot of different games, I'm such a nerd when it comes to gaming.

I can't put a whole list together, but I do know that my number one game of all-time is StarCraft. The Original and expansion. I still play that game all the time.

Halo: Reach - Definitely a fun game. My favorite Halo game. Master Chief is awesome, but Noble Team are pretty B.A. Great great story, and the multiplayer is amazing.

Halo Wars - I love RTS, and a Halo RTS? What genius'!

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare and 2 - I love these games. Multiplayer was fun for both, and the stories I thought were awesome. I really can't wait for the next installment in the Modern Warfare series!

Fable II & III - I guess I just have a thing for story driven games, haha. These games were fun, and I liked all the choices that each game had. Sometimes it's refreshing to make your own choices instead of following a linear story.
    Well the one we're going to want to play probably isn't going to be called Modern Warfare. Most of the Infiniti Ward guys who developed Modern Warfare are gone and are working with EA on a new title.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

My favorite game of all time is Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES. It is the pinnacle of platforming perfection. I love most of the other Mario games as well (Party excluded). I am a child of the 8 bit era, so most of my favorite memories reside on the NES. Below I've listed series I've played religiously over the years.

Mario
    Zelda
    OOTP Baseball
    Football Manager
    Fallout
    Uncharted
    Civilization
    Europa Universalis

I miss my nintendo. Marcus Allen was also running back and it didn't matter I ran so often that Bo and Marcus both finished in the top 3 in rushing yards. That off tackle play was my favorite for both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Goldeneye and Mario Party are some classic multiplayer N64 games that I still play to this day.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

A few of my many favorites:

- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64 (pretty much set the standard for 3D free-world gaming. Despite dated-look, still extremely playable today in it's GameCube rerelease and/or WiiWear form).

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1 (*the* pinnacle of the 2D platformer genre. Tight controls, great use of RPG elements, and an amazing soundtrack).

- ChronoTrigger - SNES (best RPG of the 16-bit era, narrowly beating out Final Fantasy VI. Time travel was fun, story was great, and gameplay was fantastic with the combo system)

- Tecmo Super Bowl - NES (Played this game to death in law school on an NES emulator w/ updated roster patch.)

- Xenogears - PS1 (Best RPG ever made, IMO. Story pulled absolutely no punches and tackled some interesting religious and scientific issues, great characters, and a turn-based battle system that was actually fun to use)
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

In no order:
    Fallout 2 for the PC
    Fallout 3 for the PS3 - awesome game, horrifyingly bad support in terms of bug fixes
    Discs of Tron - my favorite stand-up arcade game
    Baseball Simulator 1.000 for NES
    Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal: Black
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident Evil
    FF VII
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil 4

I just bought MLB 10 the show for ps2 and was wondering if I made the right choice by buying that game? LOL I know everybody else plays their ps3 and xboxs but I figured the game is still probably the same.Anyways can anybody tell me if the game is anygood or not.thanks
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Excellent game. I responded to you in another post on that game, lol.

You know, there has always been something about the COD series that rubbed me the wrong way. If I were to name my favorite online shooter it would have to be the Battlefield Series. It just seems a bit more realistic. Bad Company 2 is an excellent game. I almost put it on my list.

By the way Reds, did you read that they are getting Mark Walberg to voice the main character in Uncharted 3? There are rumors that they might get Robert Deniro to play one of the characters as well.

Turn Off Ads?