Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Extend Jay Bruce 6yrs/$51 million

Reds Extend Jay Bruce 6yrs/$51 million

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Extend Jay Bruce 6yrs/$51 million

The deal, which will keep Bruce in Cincinnati through at least 2016, includes a $12MM option for a seventh year.

NICE! now get votto

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    NICE! now get votto
    question about votto. if he waits till hes a FA in 3 years to sign will he just be making like $600K a year the next 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    question about votto. if he waits till hes a FA in 3 years to sign will he just be making like $600K a year the next 3 years?
    isnt he eligible for arbitration this year? he'll be making more than that...not money he'll make if we lock him up, but prob a couple mill.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    isnt he eligible for arbitration this year? he'll be making more than that...not money he'll make if we lock him up, but prob a couple mill.
    Couple of million? He is going to get at least $7 million this year, and by his 3rd arbitration year will be well over $10 million (assuming he doesn't get injured or his production slips a ton).

edit: Although you probably won't see it reach that. If not a long term deal, he will probably sign a 3 year deal or 2 next year.

BTW...I really like the Bruce deal.
    Last edited by scott91575; 12-10-2010 at 12:17 AM.

what a steal

For the type of defense we get out of him in Right Field and the potential bat he brings, this is a steal. He has his ups and downs and the plate but I think this contract will relax him more at the plate where he's not stressing so much when he slumps. It can do nothing but help.

Wow, a 7 year deal for our Right Fielder!

Awesome!!!!

Hey guys I bet Jay Bruce out performs Washington's new 126 Million Dollar Right Fielder over the Next 7 years....

Ok, I know there is an age differance here... But still... almost 1/3 of the cost....

Lets Hope Jay Bruce is the Reds George Brett/Cal Ripken

I like this move a lot, just hoping they can lock Votto up for a long time now!

Thats a great comparison with Werth, i'll bet you're right about Bruce outperforming him. It befuddles me that a guy who has never driven in over 100 runs in a season at the age of 31 gets a deal like Werth did with Washington, terrible signing by them.. and I even think Werth is a solid player, they just overpaid big time for him.
    Last edited by mroby85; 12-10-2010 at 01:33 AM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think it's a steal. Bruce seems like Votto-lite, where he continues to do what is necessary to improve.

That's a steal if Jay Bruce doesn't improve at all and continues to post 2010ish (which were very good) numbers for the duration of it. If he improves, which is likely, that's highway robbery.

Something tells me that Joey will sign something long term, He and Jay are said to be best friends and you know they must talk. I don't think Jay would have made such a long term commitment without know what Joey would do. Maybe nothing, maybe something?
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    Something tells me that Joey will sign something long term, He and Jay are said to be best friends and you know they must talk. I don't think Jay would have made such a long term commitment without know what Joey would do. Maybe nothing, maybe something?
    Just my opinion.
    I don't know, after hearing Joey's quotes he is going to take a huge deal. He is in a much different position than Bruce. He is older, and just won the MVP. Here are recent quotes....
    “I don’t know as far as beyond three years. I think it’s a real unfair question to ask,” Votto said. “This is not me saying I don’t want to be here. But last year was a difficult year for me. This year was a better year for me. It’s really hard for me to think three years ahead, five years ahead, seven years ahead or 10 years ahead. When [Troy] Tulowitzki signed that 10-year contract [with the Rockies], I was blown away. I can’t imagine seeing myself 10 years from now saying I want to be here. It’s an overwhelming thing to ask a young person like myself and say ‘here’s a lot of money. Be happy with this over 10 years, deal with it.’”
    "I’m not going to disrespect the people ahead of me that paved the way for those types of earnings and the people behind me that expect a certain amount or fair value,” he said. “I don’t want to hurt the people behind me. That’s not fair."
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...term-contract/

With some of the recent signing, it might be better for the Reds to wait. Votto's value may not be any higher, he certainly knows his worth, and doesn't even seem to be big on the whole "security of a big time contract" angle (it appears the exact opposite). He doesn't seem likely to give a home team discount, and really seems to be looking at maxing his money.

Turn Off Ads?