Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cueto extension discussions per Fay

Cueto extension discussions per Fay

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...ith-cueto.html

Apparently talks have begun with Cueto

The Reds have locked up two players and discussed a potential extension with a third, but GM Walt Jocketty isn't stopping there. He has had preliminary discussions with Johnny Cueto's representatives about a long-term deal, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/12/10/9732/
    The Reds also had preliminary discussions with Johnny Cueto on a longterm deal. Cueto, like Votto and Bruce, is eligible for arbitration.
    Last edited by klw; 12-10-2010 at 01:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto extension discussions

Where is all this money coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's doesn't cost more to extend longer contracts, it should save money, though can be risky.

Who cares? Keep it coming. Lol
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Cueto extension discussions per Fay

I like it. This is similar to what those mid-90's Indians did with their parts. Except they didn't have nearly this much pitching. Times are good right now, Reds fans.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Bruce and Cueto are the best two people to be extending at this point IMO, given their cost, potential, risk, and replacability.
    Go BLUE!!!

I have to say it. How in the world will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cueto and Bruce are both arb-eligible -- I'm guessing the team included this into their thinking when forming the 2011 payroll and left significant "wiggle" space for all arb-eligible players. These long-term deals are really nothing more than cementing a number that's already been budgeted for in 2011 and writing the numbers into stone for 2012 and beyond.

And, for the record, I'm 100% against going long-term with Cueto. As happy and thrilled as I am with the Bruce deal, I'd be that disappointed with doing the same thing for Cueto. He's my #1 target to move this off-season to clear out the logjam in the rotation.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I have to say it. How in the world will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
    That still doesn't get old too me...LOVE IT! Spit coffee out of my nose when I read it because it made me laugh.

"Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

In most cases it's saving money in the short term. The amount of money to be paid to those players isn't increasing via these deals. All that's changing is that the Reds are committing to a specific value now rather than waiting until the offseason before hand.

Cost certainty has a good deal of value to a team on a tight budget and barring significant under-performance, increases the plaeyrs' trade value.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's my #1 target to move this off-season to clear out the logjam in the rotation.
    IMO there is not such thing as a MLB having a logjam in the rotation. The Reds success last season can be in great part to having a 6th, 7th, and 8th guy to pull up into the rotation for 6-10 starts and not be putting up a 6.50 ERA. Keep 'em all IMO. If you don't make the cut then you can work a bit in AAA or be a long guy in the bullpen. When the inevitable injuries hit, you have guys to plug in.

GL

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    IMO there is not such thing as a MLB having a logjam in the rotation.
    You can never have too much pitching, but it strikes me as foolhardy to keep 6 legitimate starters (plus two extremely good "replacement-level" options in AAA: LeCure and Maloney) when your starting LF is Jonny Gomes and starting SS is Paul Janish.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Cueto has produced more than any other of the young arms and it's not even close. Think long and hard before showing him the door.

Our one home playoff game?...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I'm definitely in favor of extending Cueto. And I may be the only one who feels this way, but I'm in favor of extending Volquez too.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?