Turn Off Ads?

Thread: All HOF NL Central team

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All HOF NL Central team

I started a previous thread about the All NL Central Team consisting of todays players. That got me thinking even more. What kind of team could you come up with if you created an all HOF NL Central team? The criteria would be players that played after 1900 and no current players. Albert Pujols will go down as the best 1st baseman in MLB history if he stays on his pace and if something tragic happened, he could get in now with his production. TLR is a likely HOF manager. However, I can't include them on this list because they haven't got there yet. This is a rough list of what I came up with.

C Johnny Bench
    1B Jimmy Foxx
    2B Rogers Hornsby
    SS Earnie Banks
    3B Pie Traynor
    LF Stan Musial
    CF Roberto Clemente
    RF Frank Robinson

Pitchers

Bob Gibson
    Steve Carlton
    Rube Waddell
    Mordecai Brown
    Tom Seaver

Relief pitchers

Dennis Eckersly
    Bruce Sutter
    Goose Gossage

What are your opinions?

Re: All HOF NL Central team

SS has to be Honus Wagner.

SS has to be Honus Wagner.
    Maybe move Mr. Cub to 1B, and Foxx to DH if this HOF team has a DH.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

joe morgan?

Good point about Honus. I guess you could add a DH and Mr. Cub could DH.

I have to select Rogers Hornsby over Morgan. The dude could flat out rake at the plate. He is the only player in MLB history to finish a season hitting .424 in fact he hit over .400 three different times while he played. His career BA if .358 which is the highest in NL history if I'm not mistaken. Furthermore, he won the NL triple crown twice in his career. It also must be noted that he was a player manager. What is actually kind of interesting is that he won the NL triple crown in 1922 but because of some goofy rule, no player from NL teams were nominated for MVP. Even with those rules, he was the first player in MLB history to win the MVP twice. This is amazing considering his competition at the time such as Mel Ott.

Joe Morgan was probably better defensively than Rogers Hornsby but Hornsby's offensive output well outweighs any defensive liabilities that he has.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 12-13-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Forgot to add GM and manager.

Sparky Anderson as Manager and Branch Rickey as GM.

Hell... throw Whitey Herzog in as 3rd base coach, lol.

Turn Off Ads?