Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you learn of Chapman deal?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

How did you learn of Chapman deal?

I remember it was early January last year and I was bummed that the Reds had "failed" to do much of anything to improve the club going into the 2010 season. No big pitching acquisitions, no help at shortstop ... Gomes wasn't even re-signed yet. It was looking like a depressing offseason.

However, Jan. 10 I think it was, I opened up RedsZone and there it was. The post informing me that the Reds made the move no one was expecting: They signed Aroldis Chapman. It was the first piece of good news for the Reds in 2010, a year that would prove to be very good to the ball club. Everything just seemed to snowball from there.

So, how did you find out about the Chapman deal?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: How did you learn of Chapman deal?

how did you find out about the Chapman deal?
    I opened up RedsZone and there it was.
    OBM broke the news if memory serves me right.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I remember it was early January last year and I was bummed that the Reds had "failed" to do much of anything to improve the club going into the 2010 season. No big pitching acquisitions, no help at shortstop ... Gomes wasn't even re-signed yet. It was looking like a depressing offseason.

However, Jan. 10 I think it was, I opened up RedsZone and there it was. The post informing me that the Reds made the move no one was expecting: They signed Aroldis Chapman. It was the first piece of good news for the Reds in 2010, a year that would prove to be very good to the ball club. Everything just seemed to snowball from there.

So, how did you find out about the Chapman deal?
    I believe my oldest son texted me, but I don't really remember. It wasn't like when I learned President Kennedy had been shot or Elvis had died...or the Reds had traded for Tom Seaver or Ken Griffey, Jr.. Chapman was big...but not huge.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

That was a great day. Some dude from ESPN or something was tweeting hints all morning. First he ruled out the American League, then once he narrowed it down to the NL central, we pretty much knew what was about to happen.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=59

I posted this, then the news blew up about a half hour later.

I was watching ESPN. Saw it scroll across the bottom line. Did a double-take and thought it was the Red Sox. After closer inspection, saw it said the Reds. Still didn't believe it so I got online and had to verify it with another print article. Took about 10 minutes before it sunk in.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I believe my oldest son texted me, but I don't really remember. It wasn't like when I learned President Kennedy had been shot or Elvis had died...or the Reds had traded for Tom Seaver or Ken Griffey, Jr.. Chapman was big...but not huge.
    Yet the Chapman signing will end up being bigger than Seaver and much-bigger than Griffey. Both were on the decline when the Reds acquired them, especially Griffey.

Chapman on the other hand is on the way up and is already the hardest-throwing man on the planet. I will always remember where I was when I found out about the Reds signing him (literally out of nowhere from my POV).

Yet the Chapman signing will end up being bigger than Seaver and much-bigger than Griffey. Both were on the decline when the Reds acquired them, especially Griffey.
    Chapman on the other hand is on the way up and is already the hardest-throwing man on the planet. I will always remember where I was when I found out about the Reds signing him (literally out of nowhere from my POV).
    I don't agree that Seaver or KGJ were on the decline when the Reds obtained either one of them.

I remember the exact date - Jaunary 10th. I was watching PBA bowling on ESPN and then just happened to log onto Redszone and twitter during a commercial break and saw where Jeff Passan tweeted that Chapman had signed with an unknown team. He eliminated the American League, then narrowed it down to a NL Central team, then broke in with news that completely stunned me: Chapman was on a flight to Cincinnati. I posted every little hint and detail I could find on Redszone. I tried my best to withhold my enthusiasm until it was official but I immediately started running through the house screaming with excitement when I heard Chapman was on a flight to Cincy. When it became official I was so relieved. That was the most excited I had been as a Reds fan since the day the Reds acquired Ken Griffey Jr.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Actually, at the time of their acquisitions, both Seaver and Griffey were arguably the biggest names in baseball. Unlike Chapman, they were both accomplished stars with nothing to prove.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

I actually found out through Facebook. One of my friends' status updates that day was something to the effect of, "Can't believe the Reds signed Chapman". I couldn't believe it either, so I came to RedsZone to confirm. Sure enough, what I had read was true: Chapman was a Red for the next 10 years!

The rest gets a little hazy though, as I may or may not have celebrated the signing a little later on. :all_cohol

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't agree that Seaver or KGJ were on the decline when the Reds obtained either one of them.
    Well, the facts prove otherwise. They both peaked statistically before reaching the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Actually, at the time of their acquisitions, both Seaver and Griffey were arguably the biggest names in baseball. Unlike Chapman, they were both accomplished stars with nothing to prove.
    Yeah, I understand that. I was just pointing out we'll likely look back on the Chapman signing as much bigger than either the Griffey or Seaver signings. (In terms of the actual impact it will have to the Reds on the field.)

Yeah, I understand that. I was just pointing out we'll likely look back on the Chapman signing as much bigger than either the Griffey or Seaver signings. (In terms of the actual impact it will have to the Reds on the field.)
    I know we are all hoping you are right.

Well, the facts prove otherwise. They both peaked statistically before reaching the Reds.

NO one thought they were both on the decline when the Reds acquired them. And after Seaver went 14-3 with them in 1977 and Griffey hit 40 HR while missing almost all of September....no one still thought they were on the decline. Of course in hindsight it is Now. By 1979-80 Seaver did show he was not the same beacuse he started getting injured. He had one terrible month in 1978 in April but the rest of the year he was Seaver.
    Griffey was not on a decline to me, he was just full of bad luck and injuries took their toll...no way to predict that at all and no way he declines if he is not injured.

Turn Off Ads?