Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign 21 Year Old Catcher

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds Sign 21 Year Old Catcher

Reds sign catcher Fray Sosa late Sunday night early Monday morning to a contract. Details of the deal unknown. This via twitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign 21 Year Old Catcher

I don't get it. This guy's been in a training academy for 5 years? He's never played in the minors? This is all I've found so far.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

That article paints the picture that Genaro "Jose" Jorge's motivation is to help his disciples and that making a profit isn't his primary ambition. Meanwhile, most of the young students at his academy pay $300+ month in order to attend. I'm not saying it's flat-out exploitation, but I'm skeptical of him for a few reasons. One of the biggest reasons is this:
    During his baseball maturation process, Checo trained with Jorge for over two years. When first asked about Checo's bonus, Jorge denies receiving a cut, but both Checo's mother and his older brother Edwin (who is Mariel's manager) say Jorge received about $5,000.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ce.html?page=4

Why would he lie about that? How can you trust someone like that?

I'm guessing while he's been training on-and-off at the Academy in NYC, he's likely been playing organized ball in the DR these past few years.

We'll see what Fay and others with access to Walt/FO report.

Meanwhile, what does the signing mean? Did the organization need more catcher-depth? Or is it like pitching in that you can never have enough?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    I'm guessing while he's been training on-and-off at the Academy in NYC, he's likely been playing organized ball in the DR these past few years.

We'll see what Fay and others with access to Walt/FO report.

Meanwhile, what does the signing mean? Did the organization need more catcher-depth? Or is it like pitching in that you can never have enough?
    Seeing as how there's so little information about him at the age of 21, I doubt he's much of a prospect. I think it's more like the you-can-never-have-enough philosophy. Especially going into spring training, you want more catchers to handle the 100+ pitchers in spring training. That's why you see people like this drafted.

sad that the news is so slow that I actually excitedly clicked on this thread......at least the Cards are doing alot though i'm not sure they're any better....i guess losing the division got their attention

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    sad that the news is so slow that I actually excitedly clicked on this thread......at least the Cards are doing alot though i'm not sure they're any better....i guess losing the division got their attention
    You think adding Berkman makes the Cards worse?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Where is he going to play? His defense is going to be pretty bad if he isn't at first base and well, that guy isn't going to be playing first base.

Depends. If he's the Berkman that played for the Yankees, then he may not help very much. He looked awful playing 1B, so I can only imagine how he'd look in the OF. His line against LH pitching: .171/.261/.256 w/.517 OPS.

He does still work the count well and takes his share of walks.

If the Cards are planning to use him as a pinch-hitter/backup for Pujols, then he'll help them a bit. If he's an everyday starter in the OF ... yikes.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where is he going to play? His defense is going to be pretty bad if he isn't at first base and well, that guy isn't going to be playing first base.
    Probably RF, and his defense in RF will likely be pretty bad. He could make up for it with his bat though. After trading Ludwick, the Cards have been missing that extra power bat. I guess the question is do you want Jon Jay and Allen Craig in RF....or Lance Berkman. I wasn't too excited to see the light hitting Jay and Craig in RF even though their defense would likely be better than Berkman's. Nobody know's how Berkman will hit, but it's been reported that he has lost weight and is in better shape.

shouldn't you guys be in the Cards sign Berkman thread? I'm curious about an unknown 21 year old player from an academy in the U.S. that the Reds just signed.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    shouldn't you guys be in the Cards sign Berkman thread? I'm curious about an unknown 21 year old player from an academy in the U.S. that the Reds just signed.
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Minor Leagues forum?

what they said.

i guess the numbers tell us that Holliday is an above average defender but did any of us see that the last couple of years? He looks better thatn Soriano, maybe Gomes and who else? with all the complaining around here about sub par D in left field for "us" can you imagine RZ with Holliday and Berkman manning the corners? Berkman might come back and become his old self again and will probably beat up on the reds either way but if I'm on the Cards staff I'm hoping for lots of ground balls this season.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Minor Leagues forum?
    technically. but the Berkman talk should be in the Berkman thread.

So does this academy play games or keep stats? Is there a scouting report on this guy? Can he hit? Does he have a good arm?

Anything?

Turn Off Ads?