Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Discuss Jose Reyes with Mets

Re: Reds Discuss Jose Reyes with Mets

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think people who are counting on Paul Janish to be a productive full time SS are in for a very rude awakening. I just hope he doesn't get the opportunity.
    i will take his great D and average hitting any day. Pitching and D up the middle is key...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    can he be any worse than ocab? doubtful. we all know janish is better defensively.
    I think he can, and would be. I think Orlando is a better player than he gets credit for on this board. I know he's not popular around here, but I think he brings a lot of things to the table that cant be measured in numbers. He is a solid defender, and is solid at all the small things. If I had to pick between Orlando or Janish over the course of a full season Cabrera would be my choice without hesitation.

I think people who are counting on Paul Janish to be a productive full time SS are in for a very rude awakening. I just hope he doesn't get the opportunity.
    Re-read what I said. While he may not be AS productive, I guarantee you Janish's '10 season was more productive per dollar than Reyes'.

-Matt

I think he can, and would be. I think Orlando is a better player than he gets credit for on this board. I know he's not popular around here, but I think he brings a lot of things to the table that cant be measured in numbers. He is a solid defender, and is solid at all the small things. If I had to pick between Orlando or Janish over the course of a full season Cabrera would be my choice without hesitation.
    Dusty, that you?

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Re-read what I said. While he may not be AS productive, I guarantee you Janish's '10 season was more productive per dollar than Reyes'.

-Matt
    So you want to pull out one season of stats where Reyes was injured, and Janish played on a full time basis for about 6 weeks when Cabrera was hurt? makes sense. As for the Dusty comment, if you want to pretend there aren't elements that play into a team outside of raw statistics thats fine, but its not accurate. Also, Dusty has won manager of the year awards with the Giants, Cubs, and should have with the Reds this year, losing by 1 vote to Bud Black whose team missed the playoffs. Im not saying I always agree with the decisions Dusty makes, but he's obviously doing something right. (Could also be something like keeping his team together, and still fighting through tough times, and not quitting like the sweep in Cincinnati against St. Louis this year when they fell out of first, but I know those are also intangibles and not pure statistics so they must not have any significance to being a good manager)

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

[QUOTE=brm7675;2305654]just say NO to the Reyes. His price is to high, he only has 1 season left on the deal and he can not stay healthy. I will take Janish and know I am going to get 150-155 games of good strong D at SS anyday.[/QUOTE]

Your kidding right?The whole premise of getting Reyes is offense,and above average defense.Unless you want Janish leading off and setting the table.And I doubt Walt would bring him here on a one year deal.He would have to work out a contract,and that's why it aint happening.
    Last edited by AintlifeGrande; 12-13-2010 at 08:58 PM.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

[QUOTE=AintlifeGrande;2305693]
    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    just say NO to the Reyes. His price is to high, he only has 1 season left on the deal and he can not stay healthy. I will take Janish and know I am going to get 150-155 games of good strong D at SS anyday.[/QUOTE]

Your kidding right?The whole premise of getting Reyes is offense,and above average defense.Unless you want Janish leading off and setting the table.And I doubt Walt would bring him here on a one year deal.He would have to work out a contract,and that's why it aint happening.
    Sometimes people here just want to argue about Janish, Dickerson, and in the past Keppinger and how good they are?????

I agree with you and see that Reyes knocks Lead Off Hitter & SS off the "to do" list...

If Walt does indeed aquire Reyes, it is a very "Walt" move from his years in St. Louis when aquiring McGwire, Edmonds, Kile, Mulder, Clark, Walker to Improve the team... Whether it be off season moves or late season acquisitions...

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Not interested. Janish could undoubtedly put up similar numbers to Reyes' 2010 for about $10,000,000 less.

-Matt
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...anispa01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eyesjo01.shtml

I hope you are right because I don't think Reyes will be coming our way but I disagree with you that Janish can be Reyes equal.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 12-13-2010 at 10:39 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd like Reyes.

But I'm fine with a league minimum Paul Janish. For the money, I think Paul will be just fine. Probably at the top of the chart defensively, and somewhere in the middle offensively........not great, but not horrible.

The Reds can't be like the Yankees and have $10-$20 million dollar players at every position.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd like Reyes.

But I'm fine with a league minimum Paul Janish. For the money, I think Paul will be just fine. Probably at the top of the chart defensively, and somewhere in the middle offensively........not great, but not horrible.

The Reds can't be like the Yankees and have $10-$20 million dollar players at every position.
    Are there several 10-20 million dollar players on this team that i'm forgetting? haha

I think you are all on something illegal if you actually think Janish will be average at at best offensively...

Dude is classic all glove, No Hit Short Stop...

He is a utility infielder... My Gosh, the same thing was said about Keppinger, and he was a Utility man too~

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I think you are all on something illegal if you actually think Janish will be average at at best offensively...

Dude is classic all glove, No Hit Short Stop...

He is a utility infielder... My Gosh, the same thing was said about Keppinger, and he was a Utility man too~
    Yep totally agree. The question lies in whether or not Reyes is healthy and what it would take to get him, because as has been said he'd be a one year rental.

I think having Paul Janish is one of the reasons TO consider Jose Reyes. If you're going to bring in a guy with his upside and injury risk, you'd better be carrying a backup who can fill in capably at any time and not be a waste of a roster spot in the mean time. I think Janish could fit that perfectly.

I like Janish alot and would be totally comfortable with him starting next year. That being said Reyes is a clear upgrade over him. Now, whether or not you would have to pay over market value for him is another story.

[QUOTE=AintlifeGrande;2305693]
    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    just say NO to the Reyes. His price is to high, he only has 1 season left on the deal and he can not stay healthy. I will take Janish and know I am going to get 150-155 games of good strong D at SS anyday.[/QUOTE]

Nope not kidding, how much offense does an injuried player bring?

Turn Off Ads?