Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, who is the closer...

So, who is the closer...

if Cordero is traded. I keep seeing all these threads, all these scenarios where the Reds trade Cordero to get Geinke, Reyes, etc.

But who closes games if that happens?

Massett is an obvious candidate. I think Burton or Bray could have a shot. Chapman is an intriguing possibility, but I'd rather see him starting games.

Thoughts?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, who is the closer...

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    if Cordero is traded. I keep seeing all these threads, all these scenarios where the Reds trade Cordero to get Geinke, Reyes, etc.

But who closes games if that happens?

Massett is an obvious candidate. I think Burton or Bray could have a shot. Chapman is an intriguing possibility, but I'd rather see him starting games.

Thoughts?
    Bray can't be trusted to stay healthy. Plus, I'd rather keep him as a situational lefty. I like Masset or the darkhorse Arredondo as a closer candidate, although I suspect that if Cordero is traded, Chapman will be the closer.
    Go BLUE!!!

Cruisin' for trouble

Closer by committee. Bring in your best reliever in tough situations whether that's the 7th, 8th or 9th innings.

I had forgotten about Arredondo. Personally, I'd like it if Joseph showed so much in ST and AAA that the Reds end up letting him audition for the job at some point. The Reds have the makings of a decent to excellent bullpen. The depth isn't just in the rotation.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Closer by committee. Bring in your best reliever in tough situations whether that's the 7th, 8th or 9th innings.
    Dusty would never go for it, but this is what I would go for. Play it batter by batter in close games, late in the games.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I would expect that there was a better chance of that happening if it had ever been done by any manager in the history of baseball since the complete game became literally non-existent.

What about Chapman? He wasn't exactly that solid in AAA when he was a starter. But when he's in the pen, he's about as dominant as they come.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Of all the unlikely speculation happening on RZ, Cordero being traded is probably the most out-there.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Think about this..... if Chapman is the closer, he could potentially be in any game. As a starter, it's every 5th day, and known in advance.

How many more tickets could we sell if you think any time you go to the park you could see him.

The press too..... every night on sportscenter you'd see how high he lit up the gun.... it would be a public relations bonanza.

Just sayin..
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Think about this..... if Chapman is the closer, he could potentially be in any game. As a starter, it's every 5th day, and known in advance.

How many more tickets could we sell if you think any time you go to the park you could see him.

The press too..... every night on sportscenter you'd see how high he lit up the gun.... it would be a public relations bonanza.

Just sayin..
    It's all about the media and 'shock value' with you young whippersnappers...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Of all the unlikely speculation happening on RZ, Cordero being traded is probably the most out-there.
    I'm not speculating he will be traded. I'm stating that his name comes up a LOT here as someone that should be traded. But there is never follow through on who would take his place.

Masset. Wouldn't be thrilled about Chapman in that role, but could definitely see it happening

This is a favorite theme of mine as well. Many games are lost while the closer is languishing in the pen. 2010 Reds Saves: Cordero 40; Masset 2; Smith 1

Didn't finish my post.

1990 Reds Saves: Myers 31; Dibble 11; Mahler 4; Charlton 2; Layana 2.

Cordero isn't going anywhere. But if for some reason he does, it's be Masset.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?