Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: With the Yankees now desperate...

  1. #1
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,027

    With the Yankees now desperate...

    Maybe its time to consider a deal with them. They need help in the rotation and the pen and would probably have interest in both Cordero and Volquez. Adding Cordero to the pen would free Joba for a move to the rotation and Volquez would be that former all star type that they would lke to add to the rotation.

    Francisco Cordero and Edinson Volquez for Curtis Granderson and two of Ivan Nova, Hector Noesi, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman and Manny Banuelos.

    For the Yankees, they address the rotation and the pen while opening a spot in the OF. Gardner moves to CF and LF becomes available as a possible spot for Jesus Montero or a signing of a guy like Magglio Ordonez. The Reds cut some dollars while balancing/fixing the line-up and adding a huge upgrade. The team would have money for Rhodes or another reliever to help in the pen and two more depth options behind the Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake rotation (a guy like Nova might beat out Leake for the 5th spot). Chapman would close with Masset and whoever they could sign setting up. I've been a Volquez supporter and recognize that he may have the potential to be the best of the bunch, but I've become a skeptic lately and have serious doubts about him. The Reds would probably still have the money and, with Leake and two arms from the Yankees top prospect group, enough depth of valued pitching prospects to add a rental TOR arm at the deadline.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    HS Athletic Director alexad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleves, Ohio
    Posts
    1,222
    We always get fleeced by the Yankees. I pass.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

  4. #3
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,093

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Isn't Granderson expensive going forward? I like the team and the general idea, mth, but think Gardner would fit the bill better for the Reds.

  5. #4
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Maybe its time to consider a deal with them. They need help in the rotation and the pen and would probably have interest in both Cordero and Volquez. Adding Cordero to the pen would free Joba for a move to the rotation and Volquez would be that former all star type that they would lke to add to the rotation.

    Francisco Cordero and Edinson Volquez for Curtis Granderson and two of Ivan Nova, Hector Noesi, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman and Manny Banuelos.

    For the Yankees, they address the rotation and the pen while opening a spot in the OF. Gardner moves to CF and LF becomes available as a possible spot for Jesus Montero or a signing of a guy like Magglio Ordonez. The Reds cut some dollars while balancing/fixing the line-up and adding a huge upgrade. The team would have money for Rhodes or another reliever to help in the pen and two more depth options behind the Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake rotation (a guy like Nova might beat out Leake for the 5th spot). Chapman would close with Masset and whoever they could sign setting up. I've been a Volquez supporter and recognize that he may have the potential to be the best of the bunch, but I've become a skeptic lately and have serious doubts about him. The Reds would probably still have the money and, with Leake and two arms from the Yankees top prospect group, enough depth of valued pitching prospects to add a rental TOR arm at the deadline.
    Been thinking the same about Volquez to the Yankees. But I'd rather have Gardner than Granderson. Do they still have Swisher? He'd also be an option. Volquez for Swisher and cash? Gardner and Nova for Volquez? I doubt anyone is interested in Coco at this point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  6. #5
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,138

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    The Yanks like guys with track records. I'm skeptical that they'd panic into Volquez.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Side (No Diggity)
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Volquez is a really good fit. His pending arbitration years don't scare the Yankees. This *could* be the way to solve LF for the Reds.

    I simply don't see Coco being moved this off-season. Maybe in spring when another closer goes down and someone gets desperate. But not now.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

  8. #7
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Yankees bullpen was brutal in the post season, They may prefer one year of Cordero to multiple years for somebody like Gregg or Wood.

    As for Granderson vs. Gardner, Granderson makes more money (its why Cordero is included) but he's a better player. I don't really like the speedy no power type. Give me Granderson's 30 HR potential in a line-up with the incredible shrinking slugging percentage at 3B looking like the 3rd guy for the middle of the order. Let Rolen get on base in front of Votto and Bruce and let Graderson make 'em think about pitching around them.

    As for the Yankees getting a proven option, I don't see one that they can get. Volquez may be the most "proven" option out there. Pavano and Garza probably aren't available to them and they don't have the MI prospects to get Greinke. Who else is there?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. #8
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Yanks like guys with track records. I'm skeptical that they'd panic into Volquez.
    Guy went 17-6, with 206 K's and 167 hits in 196 IP in '08 with a fairly inadequate team around him. Since then he had TJS and hasn't really pitched all that much in that span. I'd call such a pickup more shrewd than gamble. I ain't saying he will be a future Cy Young award winner but he could easily be with that offense around him. But even still he should be pretty good going forward regardless. I don't really want to trade him but I think he makes the most sense for a small market team to deal off and get something solid in return before he starts making big money. I think no matter where he pitches in '11, come this time next year his value will be much higher than it is now.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  10. #9
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yankees bullpen was brutal in the post season, They may prefer one year of Cordero to multiple years for somebody like Gregg or Wood.

    As for Granderson vs. Gardner, Granderson makes more money (its why Cordero is included) but he's a better player. I don't really like the speedy no power type. Give me Granderson's 30 HR potential in a line-up with the incredible shrinking slugging percentage at 3B looking like the 3rd guy for the middle of the order. Let Rolen get on base in front of Votto and Bruce and let Graderson make 'em think about pitching around them.

    As for the Yankees getting a proven option, I don't see one that they can get. Volquez may be the most "proven" option out there. Pavano and Garza probably aren't available to them and they don't have the MI prospects to get Greinke. Who else is there?
    I don't see anyone wanting CoCo at this point. Way too much money and he struggled almost every single outing last year. He had a nice little stretch at one point late in the season but other than that he was pretty much constantly under fire. I agree on Volquez being a pretty intriguing option for the Yankees, heck I think it might be wise to go ahead hold onto him for another season.

    Trade them Bailey for Gardner, I'd be ok with adding Granderson but I don't see the Yanks wanting Coco so I don't see how it works. Plus he makes an awful lot of cash for a platoon guy. Swisher though makes some sense to me.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  11. #10
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,571

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    In reality, the guy that fits the Yankees best is Arroyo. They need a solid dependable starter. Now, I realize that isn't going to happen, but he's the best fit.

  12. #11
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Yanks like guys with track records. I'm skeptical that they'd panic into Volquez.
    Oh, they are already panicking. They had already picked the date for the Cliff Lee Bobblehead night.

    The Red Sox reloaded just like the Yanks did in 2009, and the Yankees' best starting pitcher option right now is Carl Pavano.

    They are in full panic mode. They might not want Volquez, but they don't have a lot of better choices right now, and they need a top arm badly.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,259

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    I like Gardner as a target. Takes a lot of pitches, gets on base, excellent base stealer and defender. Relatively inexpensive.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  14. #13
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,229

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    I was hoping the Yanks would sign Crawford, and then we could back into Gardner for next to nothing.

  15. #14
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    In reality, the guy that fits the Yankees best is Arroyo. They need a solid dependable starter. Now, I realize that isn't going to happen, but he's the best fit.
    Agree, but it won't happen. Of course, none of this will, but its fun to discuss.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: With the Yankees now desperate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't see anyone wanting CoCo at this point. Way too much money and he struggled almost every single outing last year. He had a nice little stretch at one point late in the season but other than that he was pretty much constantly under fire. I agree on Volquez being a pretty intriguing option for the Yankees, heck I think it might be wise to go ahead hold onto him for another season.

    Trade them Bailey for Gardner, I'd be ok with adding Granderson but I don't see the Yanks wanting Coco so I don't see how it works. Plus he makes an awful lot of cash for a platoon guy. Swisher though makes some sense to me.
    As stated earlier, I prefer Granderson to Gardner because I think the middle of the Reds order is in trouble for 2011.

    But.. I'd probably deal Volquez for Gardner and Nova. If I were as optimistic about Volquez as you are, I'd keep him, but if the Reds deal him, I want another starting option back. I'm high on Bailey and Wood, but they are still question marks in my mind. Since I'm not so high on Leake or Chapman as starters for 2011, I think another option to have as a fallback is a necessity.

    I wouldn't deal Bailey at this point unless I'm bowled over and it would take more than Gardner to do that.

    As for Cordero, the $12 Million salary won't phase the Yankees. Cordero had 40 saves in 2010 and I'm guessing the Yankees would want a veteran option with some track record before reconsidering Joba as a rotation option. The Yankees may see moving Joba into the rotation as a better option than anything they can get on the market and may want a proven reliever to make it happen. The Reds could oblige and take one of the OF salaries off of their hands in return. Swisher would be OK, but I prefer Granderson's defense and speed and ability to play CF in a pinch. His lefty stroke is suited for GABP. He's owed $8.25 Million in 2011 and $10 Million in 2012. After that its an option. Swisher is less splitty and would probably mash in GABP as well, but he's a significant downgrade on defense from what Granderson would be and the Reds have the guys to hit lefty pitching when Granderson might need to sit or hit in the 7 hole. Swisher is owed a little more in 2011 and there is one less year of control there. I just prefer Granderson (mostly for defense), but either would be a huge upgrade IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25