I'll try and get to the bottom of this ASAP:

Report: Carolina Mudcats to be sold, Zebulon to field single-A team

Pensacola News Journal report
    Print this story
    E-mail Story
    By Jeff Gravley
    Yesterday at 10:52 p.m.

9commentsPOSTVIEW
    The Pensacola News Journal is reporting that the Carolina Mudcats, the Double-A franchise of the Cincinnati Reds, will be sold to Florida businessman Quint Studer and moved to Pensacola, Fl.

Mudcats owner Steve Bryant is under a gag order from the Southern League, but did tell WRAL Wednesday night "I will own a team that will play at Five County Stadium as long as I can afford to do it."

The report in the Pensacola News says that current Mudcats ownership is in negotiations to bring a Single-A team to Zebulon, but Bryant would not confirm that.

The move for the Double-A franchise to Florida would not take place until the 2012 season.

Copyright 2010 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mudcats to Be Sold?

Wow, this is interesting. I had heard that Pensacola was looking to possibly buy the Huntsville Stars and move them because the Huntsville Stadium was a dump.

Any chance that the Single A team coming to Zebulon might be the Reds own Bakersfield Blaze? We know about how bad that place is, and there were plans 2 years ago, to relocate 2 California League teams to the Carolina League.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Wow, this is interesting. I had heard that Pensacola was looking to possibly buy the Huntsville Stars and move them because the Huntsville Stadium was a dump.

Any chance that the Single A team coming to Zebulon might be the Reds own Bakersfield Blaze?
    We know about how bad that place is, and there were plans 2 years ago, to relocate 2 California League teams to the Carolina League.
    That was the first thing I thought of. It might be Kinston moving. I'm not sure. I'm going to call the owner in the morning and find out what's going on.

Here's article from last week about Pelicans buying a AA team

http://ballparkdigest.com/2010121033...-for-pensacola

-The Insider-

I wonder why Carolina was chosen? I don't believe they were last in attendance.

The way this works, is that the Pelicans put out an offer to buy a team, the Mudcats were the ones that said they were interested. Judging by the quote, the owner is not making any money.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The way this works, is that the Pelicans put out an offer to buy a team, the Mudcats were the ones that said they were interested. Judging by the quote, the owner is not making any money.
    Yea, but from another article it was a "gag order" by the Southern League. I doubt Steve Bryant would want to downgrade to a Single-A team. (Not saying anything is wrong with Single-A, but he wouldn't want to do that.)

He gets big dollars to sell AA franchise, he buys a High A team cheap. He'll still get to call it Mudcats.....

Here's the article from Pensacola Paper

http://www.pnj.com/article/20101215/...seball-next-up

Here's the plan for the Pensacola Ballpark

http://pensacolapelicans.com/future/maritime-siteplan/

-The Insider-

That would just be weird "Single-A affiliate of the ___, your Carolina Mudcats"

Weird.

Fill in the blanks with "Cincinnati Reds" and see how much better it flows.

-The Insider-

They are buying the Kinston Indians. Not official, from what I've read.

Darn.

Turn Off Ads?