Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitt has a new coach

Pitt has a new coach

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pitt is expected to introduce Miami (Ohio) football coach Michael Haywood as Dave Wannstedt's successor at a news conference Thursday
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz18FYbQ0L5

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pitt has a new coach

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    My two favorite teams is WVU and whoever beats Pitt!!

Alot of Pitt fans are gaged since their AD let Dana Holgorsen slip threw their fingers.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Wow, that's a great opportunity for Michael Haywood, but you'd think Pitt could get someone with more than one winning season to his name.

No disrespect to him, because he did a great job this past season, but I'm just surprised that they didn't go after/land a coach with more experience.

I wrote earlier that I would have been disappointed if Indiana had to reach like this, and I'd think Pitt is in a better situation than Indiana.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

From my alma mater to my least favorite team. Yeah, you're on my list Mr. Haywood.

Holgorsen is going to own this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    From my alma mater to my least favorite team. Yeah, you're on my list Mr. Haywood.

Holgorsen is going to own this guy.
    Same here...sad to see him go, but I echo Hoosier Red's sentiments, as well - I didn't see him leaving this year. I wish he'd have stayed more than two years in Oxford but I'll at least always appreciate that he was able to completely turn around the program (at least for one year).

This has been a weird year in coaching changes for sure, although if the Michigan job comes open, it could get even weirder.

I was kinda hoping either Rich Rodriguez (assuming he got fired from Michigan), or Marvin Lewis (Pittsburgh native and former assistant) would have been considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This has been a weird year in coaching changes for sure, although if the Michigan job comes open, it could get even weirder.
    That's for sure. Michigan is in a tough spot. I think they'd pull the trigger on Rodriguez if they were sure they could get Harbaugh, but Harbaugh may be in no hurry until he sees what NFL jobs open up.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

So much for the Marvin to Pitt rumors. It's really hard to put a pro coach into a college program at this point due to the timing. Colleges can't wait 'till mid January and pro coaches have a job to fulfill 'till then. You'd have to pull off a Bobby Petrino stunt

Retired

Bad hire for Pitt, IMO. The guy has one winning season in a bad conference and Pitt hires him? Makes no sense. If they are expecting for Haywood to take them to the next level, they are sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Bad hire for Pitt, IMO. The guy has one winning season in a bad conference and Pitt hires him? Makes no sense. If they are expecting for Haywood to take them to the next level, they are sadly mistaken.
    Some of the Vandy "insiders" thought Haywood was coming to Nashville after Malzhan shot em down.

Now it seems like the Commodores are going to take an OC froma mediocre offensive team. Sweet.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So much for the Marvin to Pitt rumors. It's really hard to put a pro coach into a college program at this point due to the timing. Colleges can't wait 'till mid January and pro coaches have a job to fulfill 'till then. You'd have to pull off a Bobby Petrino stunt
    Given the Bengals record, he could resign and nobody would shed a tear. Zimmer takes over for the final two games.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I think Pitt was left holding the bag after Dana Holgorsen spurned them for WVU. They panicked and made the worst hire possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

"The worst hire possible"?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    "The worst hire possible"?
    Yeah, I agree - I see the risk here in that the guy has had one winning season (in exactly two years as a head coach) but I'm not sure how that equates to "the worst hire possible".

Haywood won 9 games already this season. His team was always prepared to play and never got upset. That win against Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship with their backup quarterback was a very impressive feat. Miami's four losses in 2010:

@Florida (7-5, Outback Bowl)
    @Missouri (10-2, Insight Bowl)
    @Cincinnati (they sucked)
    Ohio (8-4, New Orleans Bowl)

He was also a highly successful assistant coach and coordinator at big programs like Texas, LSU, and Notre Dame before becoming a head coach, including winning an award for Assistant Coach of the Year in 2005. I don't think he is a bad hire at all, but obviously I'm biased...
    Last edited by Red in Chicago; 12-16-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Given the Bengals record, he could resign and nobody would shed a tear. Zimmer takes over for the final two games.
    Isn't that what Petrino did? That didn't turn out too good

Turn Off Ads?