Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitt has a new coach

Re: Pitt has a new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Isn't that what Petrino did? That didn't turn out too good
    If Petrino had resigned after a meeting with his team and after informing his owner of his plans, that Atlanta thing would not have been so ridiculous.

Plus, Marvin Lewis is getting fired anyway. Petrino wasn't getting fired.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    His team was always prepared to play
    Halftime score: UC 45, Miami 3

Please don't think I'm rubbing your nose in it. But I think that for the MAC champion to have that kind of performance against their rival and 2nd-to-last place Big East team suggests that his team wasn't prepared to play that day.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Please don't think I'm rubbing your nose in it. But I think that for the MAC champion to have that kind of performance against their rival and 2nd-to-last place Big East team suggests that his team wasn't prepared to play that day.
    The MAC was horrible this year. Which makes the hire all the more confusing. Thin resume, one winning season during a very down year for the conference as a whole.

It's almost like Pitt wanted to go on the cheap, which is odd because their financial situation isn't that dire. The problem is, all the fans and boosters whined that Wanny didn't win titles, didn't go to BCS bowls, but yet a no-name with 1 winning season in a crappy conference is going to fix that?

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    The MAC was horrible this year. Which makes the hire all the more confusing. Thin resume, one winning season during a very down year for the conference as a whole.

It's almost like Pitt wanted to go on the cheap, which is odd because their financial situation isn't that dire. The problem is, all the fans and boosters whined that Wanny didn't win titles, didn't go to BCS bowls, but yet a no-name with 1 winning season in a crappy conference is going to fix that?

I don't get it.
    Sure, the other possibility is that the MAC is just that much worse than the Big East. But I didn't want to turn this thread into "my conference is better than your conference".
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Playing devil's advocate here, since I don't have a dog in the fight -- Haywood was only there two seasons, and he took over a team that went 2-10 the year before and 10-27 the three prior seasons combined, suggesting he didn't inherit some big stockpile of talent. MAC down year or no, 9-4 and league champs is a pretty solid turnaround for the second season, isn't it? I mean, the players he recruited were only freshmen or true sophomores. I don't know that's it's realistic to say a team should be able to go from MAC bottom-feeder to beating BCS-league teams in two years, and if they don't the coach sucks.

Not saying Pitt made the right hire, I have no idea, I'm just thinking folks are a little quick with the dismissal.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Of course, how was Gene Chizik greeted at Auburn and what was his record at Iowa State before that?

Now all Pitt needs is their own Cam Newon and voila!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Then you go and ruin my post.

But looking back on that game I'm really glad Boucher (the backup QB at the time) got into the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If Petrino had resigned after a meeting with his team and after informing his owner of his plans, that Atlanta thing would not have been so ridiculous.

Plus, Marvin Lewis is getting fired anyway. Petrino wasn't getting fired.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Marvin is out the door anyways, Petrino was in his first year on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Maybe Urban Meyer's doctors RX is vacation in Oxford, OH.

I also would bet that Mike Leach is looking into the job.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

I don't get it.
    I don't see why they forced Wannstedt out in the first place. I think he should have been given a little more time to develop his young team.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Marvin is out the door anyways, Petrino was in his first year on the job.
    It's still "quitting" on your guys. Can you think of a time where this has happened before, 'cause I can't other than Petrino and that's why

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's still "quitting" on your guys. Can you think of a time where this has happened before, 'cause I can't other than Petrino and that's why
    Yep. Bailing on a team before the season is over is a big no-no. Maybe if you're Petrino and you've figured out you're over your head in the NFL and you just want to go back to college for the rest of your life, fine, you don't care about the repercussions. But if you're Marvin Lewis, you're still eminently employable in the NFL, so why burn that bridge?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Retired

Might not be the new coach for very long, Haywood was arrested today for domestic violence.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...estic-violence

Time to change this to Pitt NEEDS a new coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5978467

Damn!!

That has to be one of the shorter HC tenures in history...

Wonder how the UK/Pitt bowl game will play out now... You would think Pitt will be in total disarray.

Turn Off Ads?