Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Re: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Was just reading up on The Wire and it said it never did that well in the ratings and never won any kind of awards. This makes no sense to me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Yeah, well, neither did Freaks and Geeks.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Was just reading up on The Wire and it said it never did that well in the ratings and never won any kind of awards. This makes no sense to me.
    Simple. It wasn't on CBS.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You can tell while watching (especially at the end of S1 and S3) that they didn't really expect to come back for another go.

And yes, it's shocking and appalling that it got no love critically. Idris Elba (Stringer) and Dominic West (McNulty) have both gone on to be nominated for other stuff, but it's criminal that neither one -- or Michael K. Williams (Omar), for that matter -- even got nominated for hardware on this show.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You can tell while watching (especially at the end of S1 and S3) that they didn't really expect to come back for another go.

And yes, it's shocking and appalling that it got no love critically. Idris Elba (Stringer) and Dominic West (McNulty) have both gone on to be nominated for other stuff, but it's criminal that neither one -- or Michael K. Williams (Omar), for that matter -- even got nominated for hardware on this show.
    It got (and still gets) plenty of love critically - just not awards-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Yeah, well, neither did Freaks and Geeks.
    Well, to be fair Freeks and Geeks only had 8 episodes total.

Not much body of work to be nominated for....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Well, to be fair Freeks and Geeks only had 8 episodes total.

Not much body of work to be nominated for....
    Or more like 18.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It didn't get much of a critical push until after season 3, before season 4. If I remember right they let critics watch either all season 4 before it aired, or a good bit of it, and the critical praise before that season was huge. Every blog, tv site, etc. was talking about it non-stop and it started to get that "best show on tv" buzz.

It took a long time to get that kind of attention, and then they only had season 4 and 5 to capitalize, and 5 was relatively weak compared to the rest of the run (still very good compared to most tv though.)

It's incredible to me they didn't win anything after season 4, but at the same time it's a show mostly about African Americans that are invisible in normal society, and it was ridiculously dense and fairly hard to follow compared to network shows. It's probably actually more amazing that it went the distance of 5 seasons.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

That's an interesting take, rf. Just goes to show how fickle the critical people are. Season 1 itself was breakthrough TV storytelling and I don't think I've ever seen anything better. I thought the Sopranos was great, but it's not the same quality as The Wire, IMO. And telling mafia stories is definitely a lot sexier than inner city drug dealing minorities for sure. The acting performances alone should have won multiple awards. You could have taken your pick from the cast and they would deserved whatever they received.

I'm a few episodes into season 2. It definitely is taking more time to set things up, but I like the direction it's going. The only challenge is its difficult to follow who is who right now. They have several different story arcs with trying to continue the Barksdale drug operation plot while also adding the seaport angle while also trying to keep all the same characters from Season 1 as a part of this season. It's a lot to take on, but it's starting to come together.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Or more like 18.
    Sorry, thats what I meant. Missed the one on keyboard.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'm a few episodes into season 2. It definitely is taking more time to set things up, but I like the direction it's going. The only challenge is its difficult to follow who is who right now. They have several different story arcs with trying to continue the Barksdale drug operation plot while also adding the seaport angle while also trying to keep all the same characters from Season 1 as a part of this season. It's a lot to take on, but it's starting to come together.
    I always thought that was the most difficult part about watching The Wire.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Season 2 was my favorite. I may be the only person who says that but I think they did one heck of a job of character development in that season. I don't know why they decided to go in that direction for season 2. It was a deviation from the other seasons.

There are a couple of things I didn't quite like with the series. But overall it was a fantastic watch.

Ziggy is a great character.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

"Cougar Town" returned on Tuesday night after a 9 month hiatus. It's ratings tanked.

Please watch this show. It is very funny.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Mostly stuff on the History channel
    Ancient Aliens
    Lost worlds
    Gold Rush
    and a few other things
    Tosh.o
    That metal show
    How its made
    Re runs on TBS
    The Big bang theory