Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Re: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Yeah, I agree that Breaking Bad is probably the best non-HBO drama, with the exception of Lost (but that was a polarizing show). I think Mad Men was approaching Breaking Bad territory, but it took a slight step back this season, IMO of course. I think Downton Abbey has the potential to move up the list, but like Mad Men the show has now become massively popular so they'll be making their first season with all the hype now. Will be interesting to see if it maintains what made the first two season so great. I also loved Rescue Me and think it deserves some mention as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Loved the last two episodes of Game of Thrones. The battle of Kings Landing was about as epic as you're going to see in a TV show and the finale to season two was very solid and very good. The White Walkers look like bad, bad, bad dudes.
    Yup. I agree wholeheartedly!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yeah, I agree that Breaking Bad is probably the best non-HBO drama, with the exception of Lost (but that was a polarizing show). I think Mad Men was approaching Breaking Bad territory, but it took a slight step back this season, IMO of course. I think Downton Abbey has the potential to move up the list, but like Mad Men the show has now become massively popular so they'll be making their first season with all the hype now. Will be interesting to see if it maintains what made the first two season so great. I also loved Rescue Me and think it deserves some mention as well.
    Well, Rescue Me had one bad season as well and then rebounded strongly. Sometimes shows lose their footing. The real good ones rebound most of the time.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Breaking Bad: Best Non-HBO (or showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc... where you can get away with a lot more) Show Ever???

I seriously recommend anyone who hasn't caught the show to set up their DVRs and thank me later (assuming you're not 15, don't think I'd want someone that immature to watch it). This is how my wife and I caught up on the show prior to season 3 (and thru the end of season 3 as we were still working on the DVR several weeks past the end of season 3) It was a serious bummer not having any new shows to watch on any given night we had an hour or two to burn.
    Short answer: yes. In my opinion, it's the greatest character study in the history of television. It's made me completely justify every decision Walter has made right along with him, and I look back to Season 1 and, just like Walter, I can't figure out how we got here. I just got my Season 4 DVD today so I can catch up just in time for Season 5 live.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Downton Abbey is great, but man it has gotten soapier. It's almost been ticking off soap opera cliches as it's gone on.

I know it essentially is a soap opera, but so is Mad Men - it doesn't mean you have to be so unoriginal.

That being said, I did enjoy it, but I hope they can pull the quality up for next season. Some of the casting has me encouraged.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I picked up on Psych this year and I think it's one of the funniest shows ever.

I also enjoy most comedies, Hawaii Five 0, NCIS, NCIS: LA, Person Of Interest, Burn Notice, Suits, and Merlin on Syfy.

Just walked by D'Angelo Barksdale in the ATL airport. Had an interesting hat on. He's definitely very short.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I still can't believe how old he is. You should have asked him about Wallace.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Just walked by D'Angelo Barksdale in the ATL airport. Had an interesting hat on. He's definitely very short.
    Great singer, though.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/6w5b
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Ha! I was on the escalator heading to the tram. He'd just gotten off and was getting on it going up.

Anbody watch "The Newsroom" last night?

I didn't love it. I'll watch a few more episodes, but it needs to get a lot better.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

I didn't love it. I'll watch a few more episodes, but it needs to get a lot better.
    The writing is snappy, but I hate the fact that they're covering real news stories as opposed to setting things in a fictional universe where they can at least preserve some of the drama as to how things turn out. Also, the show really does feel like "The West Wing Meets CNN" -- Daniels is Bartlett, Sam Waterston is Leo, the female producer is Toby, the kid she brings is Josh, and the girl is Donna. Hell, they even gave Daniels a smoking problem and showed signs that he's going to be suffering from Parkinsons.

And, really, Hollywood needs to stop writing 20-something young professional characters. They're terrible at doing it convincingly.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Watched season 1 of Girls over the weekend, and I found it hysterical.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

Agreed. Liked it, but didn't love it. I too am willing to give it a chance, though.

Really enjoying "Longmire" on A&E, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The writing is snappy, but I hate the fact that they're covering real news stories as opposed to setting things in a fictional universe where they can at least preserve some of the drama as to how things turn out. Also, the show really does feel like "The West Wing Meets CNN" -- Daniels is Bartlett, Sam Waterston is Leo, the female producer is Toby, the kid she brings is Josh, and the girl is Donna. Hell, they even gave Daniels a smoking problem and showed signs that he's going to be suffering from Parkinsons.

And, really, Hollywood needs to stop writing 20-something young professional characters. They're terrible at doing it convincingly.
    When Aaron Sorkin repeats himself

http://youtu.be/S78RzZr3IwI
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?