Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

We've had a lot of movie discussions centralized into one location, but I've noticed a distinct lack of chatter about television on the board (which I presume most people own, considering how much complaining went on about George Grande's FSN telecasts).

Time to remedy that. Post here discussing shows you're watching, show's you want to recommend, and to discuss episodes of said shows.

I'll start with a huge disappointment: Top Gear - American Edition

I've been a huge fan of the original BBC "Top Gear" for several years now, and it pains me to report how awful the American version is. At it's best moments, it's a (shockingly) low-budget knock-off of the original and lacks any of the charm or sense of fun. The hosts of the show have absolutely zero chemistry with one another, and all of the witty banter that makes the BBC version so entertaining comes off as forced here. The only guy who feels "real" on the show is Adam Ferrara, and they don't let him do nearly enough. Instead, they've handed off the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" interview to this personality-less hack who spends the entire show with an annoying "Golly, I'm thrilled just to be here on TV" grin plastered to his face.

The show is just crap. If it lasts a full season and gets renewed, I might check it out again next year to see if they've fixed any of the problems, but until then I'll just stick to Top Gear reruns on BBC America.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

I'm not much into TV unrelated to sports, but I just heard HBO is making a series for the Game of Thrones series of books. If its done as well as most HBO series it will be amazing and win multiple awards from whoever it is that gives them out for television.

I have never seen BBC Top Gear, but saw an episode of the american version on my late shift the other day. Ididn't think it was that bad. One of the guys took an EVO to the top of a mountain and raced some skiers down it (snow drifting!). I was impressed. I'm big into cars and driving, the banter back and forth is not the deal breaker for me.

If you haven't checked out AMC's The Walking Dead do so immediately. I have watched the first half of the season (I rarely watch shows live, I usually DVR the whole season and binge).

Other than sports I watch very little prime time offerings on the major TV networks. My wife has finally got me to watch "NCIS" with her and I have enjoyed it, in part because I was a David McCallum fan 40+ years ago in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." We have also started watching "Raising Hope" which is off the wall silly.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    My wife has finally got me to watch "NCIS" with her and I have enjoyed it, in part because I was a David McCallum fan 40+ years ago in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."
    My Golden Retriever is named LeRoy Jethro Gibbs. I call him Jethro for short.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If you haven't checked out AMC's The Walking Dead do so immediately. I have watched the first half of the season (I rarely watch shows live, I usually DVR the whole season and binge).
    I could not agree more....

I was caught completely off guard with this show. Of course, the content is beyond graphic and should not be viewed by those who are young. However, the casting was phenomenal and the writing was top notch.

While they have already confirmed that the show will return for a second season, unfortunately, it sounds like most of this season's writers will not be back for the second run.

DP
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 12-20-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post

I was caught completely off guard with this show. Of course, the content is beyond graphic and should not be viewed by those who are young. However, the casting was phenomenal and the writing was top notch.

While they have already confirmed that the show will return for a second season, unfortunately, it sounds like most of this season's writers will not be back for the second run.
    Only some of the writing staff is leaving but the main guy Darabont will be back for the second season and he was only supposed to do the first season then his right hand man was supposed to take over.

The glass is 1/3 full....

Hot in Cleveland...and the news.

Oh, of course...Reds games...no one's mentioned that. What kind of fans ARE you all!?!?! lol......
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post

I wanted to watch this series, but missed the first episode and was later warned about a rather graphic scene involving a horse, so I've never watched it. I knew hurting an animal like that, and *especially* a horse, would turn me off the whole show.

So if I ever watch the series, the first episode is a "must not see" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I wanted to watch this series, but missed the first episode and was later warned about a rather graphic scene involving a horse, so I've never watched it. I knew hurting an animal like that, and *especially* a horse, would turn me off the whole show.

So if I ever watch the series, the first episode is a "must not see" for me.
    You know that zombies didn't actually eat a horse alive, right?

I think WEEDS is the funniest show I've ever seen.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The League has quickly become one of my favs.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The League has quickly become one of my favs.
    I highly recomend this as well. it's one you have to watch a couple episodes to "get it" but I have watched them all atleast twice. They are on-demand now too so if you have missed any their free game. Paul Scheer's character Andre is absolutely hilarious, and Nick Kroll is great as Ruxin. When I first started watching this nobody that I asked about it had ever heard of it. Weeks later those same people were quoting it in public and naming their fantasy teams after it. I was a little conscerned it wouldn't stick but hopefully I'm wrong.

I did watch 24, now House, Lie to Me, NCIS (but not NCIS: LA), and L&O: SVU.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?