Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Re: Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Watched season 1 of Girls over the weekend, and I found it hysterical.
    I loved the first season of Girls and hope the series sticks around for a while. I've tried to like Veep but it just doesn't work for me. The Newsroom could end up being pretty good or pretty overbearing (or both).

2. Turn Off Ads?

I liked Newsroom.

I guess I can see why people wouldn’t like the very Sorkin-ness of it but it’s my cup of tea and I’ll have another one thank you very much. Its future success largely depends on how the episodes are structured. If every episode is filled with those big sweeping monologues then that’ll get old real fast. If that’s just in the pilot to set the scene then I’m excited.

(Best comment I saw on another site though "There were large chunks of this, the speeches mainly, where only Emily Mortimer’s bone structure kept me watching" )
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I loved the first season of Girls and hope the series sticks around for a while.
    I read it was renewed for Season 2. I had a weird experience with that show, because I kept reading on the internet that all the characters were unlikable, etc., so I put off watching it. Turned out I disagree pretty strongly with a lot of the things I'd read and enjoyed it a ton.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I read it was renewed for Season 2. I had a weird experience with that show, because I kept reading on the internet that all the characters were unlikable, etc., so I put off watching it. Turned out I disagree pretty strongly with a lot of the things I'd read and enjoyed it a ton.
    I also watched the first season over the weekend and I completely agree with you. I'd heard so much criticism and was shocked at how much of it I felt was unwarranted and nitpicky. The characters are likable precisely because they're very flawed and realistic. Frankly, I'd wager that a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that the lead character/writer/creator is not traditionally pretty, but that's probably a topic for another forum.

This is not a show for everyone, but I think it's unique and well done. Sidebar for something I *hadn't* heard about the show, and was floored by: Zosia Mamet (Shoshana) is terrific. Impeccable comedic timing and still so genuine. She completely steals every scene she's in.

I also watched an entire season of Veep over the weekend and also enjoyed it. I don't have a television, so when I get in the presence of one I overdose.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Frankly, I'd wager that a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that the lead character/writer/creator is not traditionally pretty, but that's probably a topic for another forum.
    I think you nailed it, which is so silly. It also got nailed for not being racially inclusive, which is just dumb. I think people were looking really hard for things to complain about since it was a female centric show. Most online comments about it are toxic, even in places where I normally see more elevated discussion.

The first episode of The Newsroom is available on YouTube.

The Newsroom Season 1: Episode 1 - Full Episode - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think you nailed it, which is so silly. It also got nailed for not being racially inclusive, which is just dumb. I think people were looking really hard for things to complain about since it was a female centric show. Most online comments about it are toxic, even in places where I normally see more elevated discussion.
    I'm really mixed on "Girls". I find it interesting, but I wouldn't say I like it.

I'm not a huge Lena Dunham fan. She has a movie called "Tiny Furniture" that is very Girlsesque and I hated it. I do like the other characters in the show though, which is probably why I keep watching.

I need to watch Tiny Furniture and see what I think.

Dunham actually came across as really likable to me, even though she's playing a seriously self absorbed and flawed character.

I don't think we're supposed to take her character seriously most of the time, but I think a lot of people on the internet do.

"I may be the voice of my generation!"

La Dolce Vita

isn't one of the girls in "girls" brian williams' (nbc anchor) daughter?
    teach tolerance.

The number of shows I invest time into watching during any one season can typically be counted on one hand. I love Big Bang Theory as my sitcom fix but that's been about it for the past couple of years for me.

This year, though, I really got into Shameless on Showtime and especially Person of Interest. Shameless is pretty racy, but if you aren't easily offended by gratuitous sex, language and occasional violence, it's very unique in its warped humor.

Person of Interest, though, has the chance to come the closest to LOST for me as far as must-watch. At first, the show seemed too much like your token CSI, Law & Order or other show focusing on crime-solving, but it was clear as the year went on there is a much deeper story arc and I thought the last 6-8 episodes of the season really were fantastic.

I guess now I have to hold myself over until September for POI and January for Shameless.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    isn't one of the girls in "girls" brian williams' (nbc anchor) daughter?
    They are pretty much all someone's daughter. David Mamet's daughter is another, Bad Company's drummer is another. Dunham's mom is a famous artist. That was some of the criticism about the show too I think, which might be valid if they were bad actresses, but they aren't.

As Vaticanplum mentioned, Mamet's daughter is terrific especially. I read somewhere she was supposed to be a very minor character but she was so good they made more of a role for her.

They are pretty much all someone's daughter. David Mamet's daughter is another, Bad Company's drummer is another. Dunham's mom is a famous artist. That was some of the criticism about the show too I think, which might be valid if they were bad actresses, but they aren't.

As Vaticanplum mentioned, Mamet's daughter is terrific especially. I read somewhere she was supposed to be a very minor character but she was so good they made more of a role for her.
    The feminist in me has been a bit perturbed that she's so often cited as Mamet's daughter, only because she's also the daughter of an Academy Award-nominated actress, Lindsay Crouse -- arguably even more relevant if one wants to make the nepotism argument. Also, Lindsay Crouse was in Slap Shot, and I freaking love me some Slap Shot.

Regardless, she's just so good in a role that could so easily be one-dimensional. I've come across Mamet's kids (from both marriages) as they're all working in the arts with various degrees of talent, so I pre-judged and did not expect this girl to be as good as she is.

I didn't know that about Crouse!

Re:Girls

I'm sure it's out there but I haven't seen much criticism for "girls". I haven't looked for any either. All my favorite comedians, who are mostly "alt comedians" whatever that is, gushed over "girls" all season. I finally watched a few episodes and it was ok, maybe I expected too much.

Veep on the other hand I loved. JLD, Tony Hale and Matt Walsh? Yeah they could squeeze a laugh or two out of me. That's one show that I rewatch each episode at some point and laugh at jokes I missed on the first pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I didn't know that about Crouse!
    That's because the media only talks about one parent!

Seriously: Slap Shot!!

Turn Off Ads?