Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Some pictures of Crosley

  1. #1
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,245

    Some pictures of Crosley

    Some pictures posted on Uni-Watch from the Pirates 1960 season. The last two are from the visitors clubhouse. Must have been after they clinched in 1960.


    http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80565110877170

    http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80590266370210

    http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80642540057074

    http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80700826768466

    You can click the arrows on top of the pictures to see more of the pictures from the album. They are worth looking at if you like old baseball pics. Some good pictures of Forbes Field and players from the '60 Bucs.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 12-16-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,245

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Watched game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night on the baseball network and couldn't believe how badly Clemente "stepped in the bucket," when hitting. Very unorthodox and worse than I remember when I watched him play in the late 60's and 70's.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    So. Cen. KY
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Watched game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night on the baseball network and couldn't believe how badly Clemente "stepped in the bucket," when hitting. Very unorthodox and worse than I remember when I watched him play in the late 60's and 70's.
    I was thinking the same thing about nearly everyone, even Mantle stepped away from the plate. I thought it may have something to do with swinging bats that are much more heavy that they are now.

    A few other things I was amazed at
    In the top of the 8th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two outs the Yankees let their pitcher hit.
    In the bottom of the 8th the Pirates bunted their number 3 hitter with no outs.

  5. #4
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,598

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Thanks, Randy. I love the experience of the old parks. I'm betting the boxes were under $5 in those days.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  6. #5
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,245

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Kind of neat seeing all the cars of the era parked around the ballpark.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  7. #6
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    14,983

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Judging from the shot of the scoreboard at the end of the game, the Reds lineup looked like this:

    2B Eddie Kasko
    CF Vada Pinson
    RF Gus Bell
    LF Frank Robinson
    C Ed Bailey
    1B Gordy Coleman
    3B Willie 'Puddin' Head' Jones
    SS Roy McMillan
    P Bill Henry

    It's amazing how baseball fortunes work. 1960 was a BAD year, nothing worked well. Without a great deal of tinkering with the roster, 1961 was a delight. There were some key changes of course - Gene Freese to play 3B for example - but, in general, things just jelled in '61.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

  8. #7
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,625

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Kind of neat seeing all the cars of the era parked around the ballpark.
    My mother-in-law said that around that time it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.

    In The Longest Season Brosnan said that the uniform of the day in the clubhouse in Cincinnati was a "jockstrap and some shower slippers" no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.

  9. #8
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,698

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My mother-in-law said that around that time it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.

    In The Longest Season Brosnan said that the uniform of the day in the clubhouse in Cincinnati was a "jockstrap and some shower slippers" no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.
    Any idea why? To save money?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  10. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,625

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Any idea why? To save money?
    I'd say yes, AC at that time was not everywhere, nor was it efficient. The clubhouse (no ac) allegedly was loaded with fans, too many to count at times.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    9,967

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.
    If I remember right, Brosnan emphasized just how brutally humid Cincinnati can get in the summer. And the way the ballpark was set right there in the Mill Valley amidst all that industry, whew....

    it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.
    I could be wrong about this, but I think that by the time my dad was taking me and my bro to games (mid 60s), the club had arranged for new parking for fans, to address these issues.

    Anyway, always love the Crosley pix!
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  12. #11
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,403

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    I remember going to a night game at Crosley with my dad, and having someone of dubious character offer to watch our car, and my dad telling me the "ways of the world".....

    "watch our car" meant "pay us money or we mess it up"

  13. #12
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,625

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I remember going to a night game at Crosley with my dad, and having someone of dubious character offer to watch our car, and my dad telling me the "ways of the world".....

    "watch our car" meant "pay us money or we mess it up"
    When I was a kid we went to Tiger games in post riot Detroit, the key to a "safe" car was to park for $5 in someones yard, usually an older gent within walking distance of the park. Coming into town once past 8 Mile you were instructed to make sure your car doors were locked.

    The city... she was dying a slow death.

  14. #13
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Some pictures of Crosley

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Judging from the shot of the scoreboard at the end of the game, the Reds lineup looked like this:

    2B Eddie Kasko
    CF Vada Pinson
    RF Gus Bell
    LF Frank Robinson
    C Ed Bailey
    1B Gordy Coleman
    3B Willie 'Puddin' Head' Jones
    SS Roy McMillan
    P Bill Henry

    It's amazing how baseball fortunes work. 1960 was a BAD year, nothing worked well. Without a great deal of tinkering with the roster, 1961 was a delight. There were some key changes of course - Gene Freese to play 3B for example - but, in general, things just jelled in '61.
    Here's the Box Score - Henry finished the game

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96009181.shtml
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25