Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Jonny Gomes be released before the 2011 season ends?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 52.31%
  • No

31 47.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Jonny Jonny

Jonny Jonny Jonny

Is it time to give up on Jonny Gomes?
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jonny Jonny Jonny

Well, this thread is already off to a bad start. When I clicked on it, the question read "Will Jonny Gomes be released before the end of the 2011 season?" To which I voted no. I don't think the Reds will release him.

Now the question is "Is it time to give up on Jonny Gomes?" I think I'd vote yes on that one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

There's a good case to be made for reducing Gomes' playing time.
    But releasing him? No way. He's a fine spare OF/pinch hitter, and the Reds are going to have to pay him regardless..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Too vague. Give up on him as an everyday player? That's not even a serious question. Everyone can see that clear as day other than one Dusty Baker. Oh, you say he's important because he's the one the makes the lineups out? Good point.

I still say Gomes has value as a 4th or 5th OF batting mainly against lefties. But the way Dusty uses him is just criminal. I seriously think Gomes has some compromising pics of Dusty. Did Dusty have the same maid as Arnold? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Senor Votto

Should they? Yes.
    Will they? No

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I think they will. Heisey has proven himself in my opinion. Fred Lewis is a solid lefty off the bench. Gomes has zero plan when he walks up to the batters box.

Past time, even though I like the spirit Jonny shows. Sorry, that just doesn't get it done. And I think even this sometimes incredibly patient management will eventually get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I think they will. Heisey has proven himself in my opinion. Fred Lewis is a solid lefty off the bench. Gomes has zero plan when he walks up to the batters box.
    How has Heisey proven himself?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How has Heisey proven himself?
    In the limited time, he has proven capable. Especially next to Jonny with his magical fungo bat of swiss cheese.

Heisey's not very proven, and Lewis is a proven mediocrity, with about a .740 OPS over the last couple years and a home run every 60 plate appearances over his career. That said, absent the rational move of getting Alonso into the lineup, Heisey should be given the LF job immediately over Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    In the limited time, he has proven capable. Especially next to Jonny with his magical fungo bat of swiss cheese.
    So he hasn't really proven anything.

The Reds aren't winning the NL Central if they don't pick up a power bat to play LF. Gomes isn't getting it done and doesn't show any sign at all of coming around. How can the Reds keep someone on the 25 man roster who hits maybe .180? I think if this continues much longer he's gone.
    From what I have seen Heisey's not an everyday outfielder. He's a very good 4th outfielder and has proven to be a good PH. He and Lewis could make a decent platoon situation in LF but it won't be good enough, IMO, to put up the numbers you need for this team to consistently put up good offensive numbers.
    I hope the Reds are staying tune to what's going on in Los Angeles. Once MLB sorts out the financial mess the Dodgers are in I can see them backing up the truck and cleaning out a bunch of contracts. I have no idea what type of contracts Kemp and Eitheir have. But if its feasible at all the Reds need to look at both of those players. The Reds have the minor league talent depth to trade for one of them and minor league players would fit in with the Dodgers financially.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Heisey as a Red:
    302 PAs; .258/.329/.446; wOBA=.336; above average defender

Gomes as a Red:
    1047 PAs; .252/.326/.454; wOBA=.337; designated hitter defensively; aging into DFA before our eyes

Heisey thus far has played better as a Red than Gomes. He's (CH) been a similar bat and is a significantly better glove without question.

If one argues that Gomes has proven something, then one has to concede that it's reasonable to argue that Heisey would be a better version.
    Last edited by jojo; 05-21-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Reds aren't winning the NL Central if they don't pick up a power bat to play LF.
    I disagree with that. With Gomes, it is still one of the top offenses in the league. I think a marginal bump would probably make it the best again.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I disagree with that. With Gomes, it is still one of the top offenses in the league. I think a marginal bump would probably make it the best again.
    I believe the offense is a bit of a mirage. I know I am in the minority here. The team has 3 holes: SS, LF & 3B when Rolen can't go. When others slump (say Bruce, Stuubs or BP) the offense goes into long funks. It has been very noticable against good pitchers. In 2010 we beat up on weak pitchers and this made up for the TOR starters in the league dominating us. Yet in 2011 even the weak pitchers have had way too many strong outings vs the Reds. The team may not be able to clone Barry Larkin but they need to improve LF and get a better 3B option for when Rolen can't play.

One other thing to remember. GABP makes the offense look better than it really is.

Turn Off Ads?