Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greinke to Brewers

Re: Greinke to Brewers

Why are people getting so upset? The Reds could not afford him, and SS and LF are more of a need right now. As long as the FO does something to adress SS or LF I will be happy that we didn't get Greinke.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This thread is dead to me!

[QUOTE=757690;2307375 that leaves Stubbs and Mesoraco, and I wouldn't include either of them for Greinke.[/QUOTE]

+1. Those two imo are the cornerstones along with Bruce and Votto of our future (3-4 yrs). I just don't see Greinke's impact over the next two years being as great as Stubbs and Mesoraco's will be.

While I'm not particularly happy to see Greinke land with the Brewers, I can't really fault the Reds front office for not being able to land him. Unfortunately the Reds and the Royals didn't match up particularly well for a trade and the Brewers were able to address areas of need that the Reds could not. Most of the Reds MI / CF talent is in the lower levels and the Royals were looking to get players who were closer to producing at the major league level.

That said, the Brewers pitching starting pitching staff has gone from horrendous to a strength after trading for Greinke and Marcum. They definitely hurt their defense a bit by dealing Cain and Escobar in the same deal and their bullpen is still very mediocre. This deal certainly puts them in the discussion for the top team in the NL central but they're far from a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I'm not particularly happy to see Greinke land with the Brewers, I can't really fault the Reds front office for not being able to land him. Unfortunately the Reds and the Royals didn't match up particularly well for a trade and the Brewers were able to address areas of need that the Reds could not. Most of the Reds MI / CF talent is in the lower levels and the Royals were looking to get players who were closer to producing at the major league level.

That said, the Brewers pitching starting pitching staff has gone from horrendous to a strength after trading for Greinke and Marcum. They definitely hurt their defense a bit by dealing Cain and Escobar in the same deal and their bullpen is still very mediocre. This deal certainly puts them in the discussion for the top team in the NL central but they're far from a lock.
    Very well put. I agree on all counts.

The way I see it, the Brewers just bought themselves a seat at the table, but they used up all their buy in money to do it. They have to play with what they have, while the other players have reserves they can buy into when they need to. They are in contention, which they weren't before this trade, but are by no means the favorite.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Agreed. If they can't stay healthy, they're in trouble.

-Matt

Adding 1 pitcher doesn't take the Brewers from bad to great. Add into that they will lose Prince Fielder at some point during the season which will hurt their offense and I still don't see this team being that much better. I really belive many people are overvaluing this former Cy young winner and when all is said and done it won't turn out to be that big of a deal. i am willing to bet he doesn't win more then 11-12 games next year and his era will be in the mid to upper 3's, which is no where that good given what the Brewers gave up or what the Reds already have.....

its still december. i know its disheartening nothing has happened yet. but our two biggest needs SS and LF have not been taken away by any other team that we were in contention for. (we were never getting crawford or werth so their not even worth mentioning). we may be topped out on payroll this year but that doesnt rule out trades that can balance out the payroll.

Oh what I'd give to get Ryan Braun in a Reds uniform.......

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I am sure a lot of you are happy. I have been going on and on about the FO dealing for Greinke. Nothing.

I even posted this past week, "What are you all going to do if Milwaukee gets him?"

This is a JOKE. Walt.

McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen (in his PRIME), Mulder, Kile, Holliday, Will Clark, Larry Walker, and on and on and on...

Walt, those were your moves... in St.Louis...

Where are your Game Changing Moves here?

Oh and all the people that thought the Reds would have to give up too much.... I think the Reds could have put together a comparable package.

This is DISGUSTING.
    You want to trade prospects and then pay this guy 15-20 million a year when he had a nervous breakdown in Kansas City?

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Leake, Janish, Heisey, Ondrsuk, and J. Smith would have got it done from the Reds side I believe. Would you have made the trade.
    Me personally, nope. I honestly am not impressed by Greinke, so not getting my shorts all balled up over this. I would have been happy if we got him-dont get me wrong-but in my opinion, I would take Leake and Wood over Greinke any day of the week. And yes, I know he won a CY Young.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    its still december. i know its disheartening nothing has happened yet. but our two biggest needs SS and LF have not been taken away by any other team that we were in contention for. (we were never getting crawford or werth so their not even worth mentioning). we may be topped out on payroll this year but that doesnt rule out trades that can balance out the payroll.
    In fairness to Walt and the rest of the front office, there weren't a ton of options out there to address team needs. Everyone keeps clamoring for a SS, but who would you have wanted the Reds to go after? The free agent market was very thin and the options available for trade offered very little upgrade over the clubs current situation. Outside of Hardy and Jeter, I cannot think of a single SS option that I thought would be an appreciable upgrade over Janish and we all know Jeter was never leaving NYC for Cincinnati.

There were options to upgrade the LF situation, namely Crawford and Werth, but I wouldn't have wanted the Reds to try to match either of the contracts they received. At some point I think Jocketty and the FO will address this need, I just want them to do it in a manner that doesn't hurt the club in the long run.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    In fairness to Walt and the rest of the front office, there weren't a ton of options out there to address team needs. Everyone keeps clamoring for a SS, but who would you have wanted the Reds to go after? The free agent market was very thin and the options available for trade offered very little upgrade over the clubs current situation. Outside of Hardy and Jeter, I cannot think of a single SS option that I thought would be an appreciable upgrade over Janish and we all know Jeter was never leaving NYC for Cincinnati.

There were options to upgrade the LF situation, namely Crawford and Werth, but I wouldn't have wanted the Reds to try to match either of the contracts they received. At some point I think Jocketty and the FO will address this need, I just want them to do it in a manner that doesn't hurt the club in the long run.
    Now that I've calmed down, I can understand standing pat and hoping that the young players continue to get better. I realize there is alot of potential with this Reds team.

But I will concede that the stars aligned just right last season, and that the NL Central was down, along with the Cardinals atypically struggling. I don't see that happening next season. All these moves by NL Central clubs show that they aren't going to roll over and die, and that they know the division is there for the taking.

I even think they think the Reds "lucked" into winning the division, which I'm not exactly sure isn't true. Bad division last year. Reds come out of nowhere unexpectedly to win it.

Frankly, I'll be more impressed if the Reds can duplicate this year because everyone will be gunning for them, and they are now a known entity.

It's just hard to watch everyone else improve their deficiencies, and your own team (Reds) act like they don't have any deficiencies and therefore not address them.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You want to trade prospects and then pay this guy 15-20 million a year when he had a nervous breakdown in Kansas City?
    He makes 13.5 Minus 2 Million incliuded in the deal.

He did not have a nervous break down. Read the facts please.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Lance's blog had an article stating that between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday afternoon, the Brewers sold 1,100 additional season ticket packages.

Hmmm.

Say those were for a set of 4 seats. Say those seats cost $20 each. That's $80 for each game x 81 games = $6,480 x 1,100 season ticket packages = $7,128,000

Hmmm. That's in 2 days. Wonder how many more they'll sell due to acquiring Greinke.

Turn Off Ads?