Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony Amezcua

0 0%
  • Tucker Barnhart

2 2.99%
  • Drew Cisco

9 13.43%
  • Daniel Corcino

3 4.48%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Mark Fleury

0 0%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

4 5.97%
  • Jeremy Horst

2 2.99%
  • Jordan Hotchkiss

0 0%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

0 0%
  • Wes Mugarian

0 0%
  • Kris Negron

15 22.39%
  • Felix Perez

1 1.49%
  • Cody Puckett

5 7.46%
  • Henry Rodriguez

14 20.90%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

1 1.49%
  • Daryl Thompson

9 13.43%
  • Daniel Tuttle

1 1.49%
  • Kyle Waldrop

1 1.49%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal, C
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
    Prospect #16 - Ryan LaMarre, OF
    Prospect #17 - Juan Duran, OF
    Prospect #18 - Junior Arias, SS
    Prospect #19 - Sam Lecure, RHP
    Prospect #20 - Ronald Torreyes, IF
    Prospect #21 - Neftali Soto, IF
    Prospect #22 - Jonathan Correa, RHP
    Prospect #23 - Danny Dorn, 1B/OF

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

Daryl Thompson. He has multiple Major League pitches that he controls and commands very well. How many other pitchers left on the ballot can you say that about? DT's only weakness is health.

edit:
    Here are Thompson's stats since joining the Reds organization.
    Code:
    W	L	W-L%	ERA	G	GS	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	HBP	BK	WP	BF	WHIP	H/9	HR/9	BB/9	SO/9	SO/BB
    24	16	0.600	3.35	77	73	365	321	158	136	36	89	314	10	4	14	1470	1.123	7.9	0.9	2.2	7.7	3.52
    Very good control, good strikeout total, does a good job of keeping the ball in the ballpark despite being a flyball pitcher, will be only 25 for the entire 2011 season, and has succeeded in AAA when healthy.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 12-19-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Still going with Puckett, slightly ahead of Negron and Thompson.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Gregorius. Who I didn't realize was still an option because he is being listed as Mariekson instead of Didi.

Resident PED Expert

H-Rod.

OPS'd over .800 going straight from Rookie ball to Low A. Has Power, enough speed to swipe a bag and switch hits. All as a 20 year old. If Yorman puts up these kinds of numbers next year he'd been our #1.

Negron again.

I am a little puzzled by the number of Cisco votes. I liked the scouting report that described him as polished. Then there are also the major league blood lines and the signing over slot. All are good portents of success. Still, has anyone actually seen him throw a pitch professionally?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I am a little puzzled by the number of Cisco votes. I liked the scouting report that described him as polished. Then there are also the major league blood lines and the signing over slot. All are good portents of success. Still, has anyone actually seen him throw a pitch professionally?
    Yep.

I, too, like Cisco a whole lot. But I can't see placing him here, before he throws a professional pitch. It baffles me that he has six votes and the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year stands with nary a one. Then there's Jacob Johnson, who skipped straight to Dayton and held his own at age 19; also zero. And with one vote (that would be mine) there's Horst, an accomplished lefthander with this career line: 377.2 IP, 351 H, 126 BB, 362 K, 3.12 ERA.

I am pretty certain the Reds have seen Drew Cisco throw a pitch or two and they shelled out nearly a cool million to get him to sign. That would seem to indicate that they believe he is a pretty solid prospect. We are nearing the mid-twenties. I have no problem slotting him here.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am pretty certain the Reds have seen Drew Cisco throw a pitch or two and they shelled out nearly a cool million to get him to sign. That would seem to indicate that they believe he is a pretty solid prospect. We are nearing the mid-twenties. I have no problem slotting him here.
    Which would be fine if the system weren't so deep. The Reds have a guy on the 40 man roster who isn't on the list yet too. Cisco is still a few spots away for me. There are just other guys that are better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which would be fine if the system weren't so deep. The Reds have a guy on the 40 man roster who isn't on the list yet too. Cisco is still a few spots away for me. There are just other guys that are better than him.
    To be fair, Phil Valiquette isn't on the 40-man, and he isn't even on the ballot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If you have others ranked as better prospects that is fine. I have no problem with that. I guess my problem is with people saying a player can't be ranked at a certain level due to never having thrown a pitch (or swung a bat) professionally. When I look at MILB.com I see that Yasmani Grandal had 28 PA at the lowest minor league level. What can he have possibly shown in those 28PA that would warrant a ranking so high? Obviously a lot of what went into such a high ranking is what he accomplished before becoming a professional. For some people on this board the same holds true for Drew Cisco. And nobody is ranking Cisco nearly as high as Grandal. That is all I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If you have others ranked as better prospects that is fine. I have no problem with that. I guess my problem is with people saying a player can't be ranked at a certain level due to never having thrown a pitch (or swung a bat) professionally. When I look at MILB.com I see that Yasmani Grandal had 28 PA at the lowest minor league level. What can he have possibly shown in those 28PA that would warrant a ranking so high? Obviously a lot of what went into such a high ranking is what he accomplished before becoming a professional. For some people on this board the same holds true for Drew Cisco. And nobody is ranking Cisco nearly as high as Grandal. That is all I am saying.
    Grandal = Unanimous first round pick by everyone who played in college at a high level school.

Cisco = polished but limited upside guy who came out of high school who we really don't have much to go off of.

There is a GIANT difference between the two situations.

I crossed my fingers and toes and voted Thompson. I see him as being a sort of DRH that will last more than one ML season.

Turn Off Ads?