Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone

My wife and I are looking to learn the Spanish language and are doing our research for the right way to do this. I've seen and heard nothing but great reviews about Rosetta Stone. I wanted to see if anyone else out there has used Rosetta Stone and if they would happen to have any feedback or suggestions?

Also interested to see if anyone else has used another software or learning service to learn another language.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosetta Stone

I used Rosetta Stone a couple of times while taking a spanish class here at a college.

It's a great tool to use, but spanish (or any other language for that matter) isn't something you can pick up on pretty quick. You have to be committed to learning the language and keep with it.

Some advice I would give would be check to see if you have a local college in your area that offers foreign language classes. The college I graduated from here had four semesters of spanish classes that you could take (two elementary, two intermediate). You might have to pay a little bit more, but it would go a lot farther than Rosetta Stone. Plus colleges also keep Rosetta Stone on hand for you to use for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I've been using it to learn Mandarin. It's good, but I do wish I had some formal understanding of the structure of the language.

I think it would actually work pretty well with Spanish since you basically just need to learn vocab and tense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I think for people who live in this area, being close to the KY border and all, it would come in handy if they made one for learning Appalachian.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I used Rosetta Stone a couple of times while taking a spanish class here at a college.

It's a great tool to use, but spanish (or any other language for that matter) isn't something you can pick up on pretty quick. You have to be committed to learning the language and keep with it.

Some advice I would give would be check to see if you have a local college in your area that offers foreign language classes. The college I graduated from here had four semesters of spanish classes that you could take (two elementary, two intermediate). You might have to pay a little bit more, but it would go a lot farther than Rosetta Stone. Plus colleges also keep Rosetta Stone on hand for you to use for free.
    I echo that recommendation. My wife took some immersion spanish classes last year before her trip to Peru. The classes were about a week long and were fairly intense but it really helped her with the language.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I had the idea to do this a few years ago too. I didn't keep up, but what I used was the free version of Coffee Break Spanish.

It is pretty expensive software, but most people consider it an effective way to learn the basics about a foreign language.

I bought the Spanish version for my wife last Christmas. She was pretty engaged right off the bat and felt that it was a great way to accomodate adults with varied learning styles.

Since then, her interest in continuing the program has waned a bit. As with most pieces of knowledge, you either 'use it or lose it.'

She plans to re-immerse herself in this program over the holidays.

Rosetta Stone is like Apple. It's a fine product, but you're going to pay for all that marketing for a product that isn't necessarily better.

Seek out the alternatives. Save hundreds.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Rosetta Stone is like Apple. It's a fine product, but you're going to pay for all that marketing for a product that isn't necessarily better.

Seek out the alternatives. Save hundreds.
    I agree with this. My work gave it to us for free and it was ok, but as others have said its just the basics.

It takes work though. I can't believe how many people I work with thought they were going just listen to it in the car and know Spanish in a couple weeks.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I have never used Rosetta Stone so I can't speak to its quality. I am currently learning Japanese with the assistance of a $12 "Instant Immersion Japanese Lab" package. It contains an eight disc audio course, an interactive computer course (very basic), dictionary, and workbook. For so little money it can't be beat.

Language learning is something of a hobby of mine and I also dabble in Spanish, Italian and German. The key, as so many said, is to use it or lose it. My Spanish stays decent because I interact with Spanish speakers on a regular basis.
    Last edited by reds1869; 12-21-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks for all the great replies. I definitely have some alternatives to look into now. Learning a language is definitely not the easiest thing to do, especially as we grow older!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Rosetta Stone is probably the best program out there, although as others have said, it is quite pricey.

A buddy of mine gave me his a few years back.....University of Florida has a foreign language requirement for Liberal Arts & Sciences majors (sure most schools have something similar). One either has to take a semester of a foreign language or score out of it by taking the SAT II in one of the approved languages. I was able to test out of it after studying with Rosetta Stone for a couple of weeks.....highly recommend it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?