Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better option and cheaper then Gomes....

Better option and cheaper then Gomes....

Austin Kearns just resigned with the Indian's for 1.3 million, which is cheaper then Gomes. I think Walt missed the boat on this and should have gone with Kearns....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Better option and cheaper then Gomes....

Loved Austin Kearns. Hated the Trade that sent him away to the Nationals but I am past him and his production...

I would like Hesiey to step up and win the LF job and be a 30 Home Run Hitter.

In fact, I would also like Yonder Alonso to step up and be able to field the LF postion and be a big league hitter but I don't see that happening. Team should have picked Beckam instead of Yonder Alonso IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Loved Austin Kearns. Hated the Trade that sent him away to the Nationals but I am past him and his production...

I would like Hesiey to step up and win the LF job and be a 30 Home Run Hitter.

In fact, I would also like Yonder Alonso to step up and be able to field the LF postion and be a big league hitter but I don't see that happening. Team should have picked Beckam instead of Yonder Alonso IMO...
    I just don't see Dusty having every day game in Heisey and right now I am more comfortable with what Kearns would bring defensivly and offensivly over Gomes without question.

At this point I think Gomes is a better option than Kearns. Kearns hasn't really done much better in the last few years than Gomes has. Maybe he is a better defender than Jonny, but not enough better to pay 1.3 million for a platoon position.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    At this point I think Gomes is a better option than Kearns. Kearns hasn't really done much better in the last few years than Gomes has. Maybe he is a better defender than Jonny, but not enough better to pay 1.3 million for a platoon position.
    Why would you platoon kearns? His defense alone makes him a better choice then gomes..

Gomes' is a better hitter than Kearns at this point. His 2009 season was better than anything Kearns has ever done in the bigs, although limited ABs.

Plus it's good to have a blue-collar red ass on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Gomes' is a better hitter than Kearns at this point. His 2009 season was better than anything Kearns has ever done in the bigs, although limited ABs.

Plus it's good to have a blue-collar red ass on the team.
    Lets see Austin hit 20 HR's, drove in 98 only K'ed 78 times and hit .272 and we know can play a much better D, so exactly how is Gomes better?

Can you please tell me what having a blue coller means? I mean given Gomes had worse numbers last year then Austin and is costing us more, exactly how does a blue coller make up for it?

Gomes had one good month. He was practically useless the second half. Our best option is to give Francisco a chance. The defense cant be any worse and the upside is there for a very productive year.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    Gomes had one good month. He was practically useless the second half. Our best option is to give Francisco a chance. The defense cant be any worse and the upside is there for a very productive year.
    Yes it could be worse, the boy is not ready for prime time, if you want him in LF, put him at AA for part of the season, then up to AAA for the rest and let him learn there. Also his swing still has a way to go on being ML ready...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Short memories on here. Austin Kearns had a bad attitude and worse work ethic. Was documented by the front office. That is why he was traded. They thought with Kearns gone maybe they could get through to Adam Dunn and improve his work ethic.

Neither happened and both are gone.

Get over it. They did themselves in.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

As much as I liked Austin, I agree with Vottomatic here. Austin had great talent, but the work ethic wasn't there I just don't think he'd ever mesh well with this team.

Gomes is sketchy as a player, but you gotta like that red neck attitude--that stare alone is enough to scare the hell out of me!

Picking up on the thread about the Yankees' need for starting pitching on ORG, I think that Brett Gardner would be a very good target for the Reds to replace Gomes. Gardner would finally fill the leadoff role with his .383 OBP and 47 stolen bases in 2010. Plus he is great defensively in left. That would give us the best defensive OF in baseball.

I think Gardner for Volquez straight-up is too much for the Reds to pay. If the Yanks were willing to throw in a couple of so so prospects to even the value I would jump on this deal. Maybe Volquez and Gomes could go to NYC in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Lets see Austin hit 20 HR's, drove in 98 only K'ed 78 times and hit .272 and we know can play a much better D, so exactly how is Gomes better?

Can you please tell me what having a blue coller means? I mean given Gomes had worse numbers last year then Austin and is costing us more, exactly how does a blue coller make up for it?
    Your stats are wrong.
    Kearns hit 10 HRs and hit .263 last year with a .746 OPS.
    Gomes hit 18 HRs (in about 100 more ABs) and hit .266 last year with a .758 OPS.

Gomes' numbers were a little better.

I think you were thrown off by Kearns' splits between Cleveland and NY.

And I was kind of joking about Gomes being a red ass, but also kinda not. Whether you agree with it or not it factors into how teams value Gomes. He is looked at as a tough-as-nails competitor and a winner. Kearns seems like a wallflower.

I'd rather have neither.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Alot can be said for chemistry. Look what T.O. has done for the Bengals. Look beyond the stats.

Gomes is a good team chemistry guy. Liked by everyone on the team.

Kearns was a bit of a cancer.

I think we can do better than Gomes, but it better be alot better, or I'm not interested for the sake of ruining team chemistry.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?