Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Sign OF Brian Barton to Minor League Contract

Re: Reds Sign OF Brian Barton to Minor League Contract

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    My first thought was confusing Michael Taylor with Reggie Taylor, yikes.

Anyone know why he fell out of the MLB so quick?
    He fell out of MLB so quickly because he never had good numbers, and his skills are limited. He lacks power, his speed has faded with age, his defense is nothing special, and he needs more patience at the dish. At this point, he plays wherever he'll get paid, and right now, that's in Mexico.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I always liked the guy and never understood why he didn't get more of a chance. Solid organizational depth type.
    I agree. I thought he was impressive when he got the chance to play and was baffled that he was quickly put into the discard pile.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Mods, you sure this should be in the minor-league forum? I know it's a minor-league signing, but the 5th OF spot is wide open (Alonso, Cisco, Frazier). I'd say this guy's got a VERY big chance of going north next year. Odds are this signing will impact the Major-League team.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Gary Redus Ruled

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Mods, you sure this should be in the minor-league forum? I know it's a minor-league signing, but the 5th OF spot is wide open (Alonso, Cisco, Frazier). I'd say this guy's got a VERY big chance of going north next year. Odds are this signing will impact the Major-League team.

My thread started in the Sun Deck was moved here and I thought the same thing. I think closing it is a bit premature. If he goes north with the big club I expect an apology..LOL.
    Hoping for another Reds October

This particular thread had been up for about two days, logically started in the Minor League forum, so elsewhere, it was a bit redundant.

That said, it gives an opportunity for ORG & the SD to jointly discuss the signing. It's a bit different than a Cairo or Patterson being offered minor league deals since Barton has had minimal major league experience.

I would say the signing is the kind of pick up that can ultimately help the club and I would agree that there's a possibility that he could make the club out of ST.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Gary Redus Ruled

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's a bit different than a Cairo or Patterson being offered minor league deals since Barton has had minimal major league experience.
    Brian Barton would prefer it if you would not mention him in the same sentence with Corey Patterson..LOL:
    Hoping for another Reds October

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    Brian Barton would prefer it if you would not mention him in the same sentence with Corey Patterson..LOL:
    False, Brian Barton would love it if the sentence read as follows: "Brian Barton and Corey Patterson were inexplicably signed for 3 million after being brought to ST on minor league deals."
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I don't see Barton having much chance at the big league roster unless injury strikes. The Reds have Stubbs, Heisey and Gomes. The other Of needs to be a lefty or they should just go with 4 and add a lefty bat for the bench at another position. If the season opened today, I'd say that Cozart would take the spot vacated by Cabrera and Francisco would take the spot vacated by Nix.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Barton not invited to Spring Training. Should be first call up if injuries if he's producing.

I asked Brian Barton about why he picked the Reds, and he said he thought it was his best chance to return to MLB. I should look him up and ask what's going on.

Turn Off Ads?