Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade Proposal: Lefty LeadOff Hitter

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Trade Proposal: Lefty LeadOff Hitter

Instead of going after a Scotty Podsednik or Edgar Renteria; I propose this deal:

Homer Bailey and Juan Francisco to Cleveland
    Grady Sizemore and cash to the Reds

The Indians could use depth at 3rd and Bailey would slot in well after Carmona and Masterson.

Reds would get that Leadoff hitter and move Sizemore to LF.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Trade Proposal: Lefty LeadOff Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Instead of going after a Scotty Podsednik or Edgar Renteria; I propose this deal:

Homer Bailey and Juan Francisco to Cleveland
    Grady Sizemore and cash to the Reds

The Indians could use depth at 3rd and Bailey would slot in well after Carmona and Masterson.

Reds would get that Leadoff hitter and move Sizemore to LF.
    Comfortable with Cairo as the backup 3B all season? And I think this deal may be giving up too much for Sizemore, until he shows that he is ready to be the all-star player he once was.

I like that target (he's on my short never-to-be-realized wishlist). Not sure of what the price would have to be get him, as he's coming off injuries and not the player the last few years he was prior to that. That said, he's the kind of target that Walt made a living picking up at this kind of juncture in his StL tenure.

Presumably, money/budget is the stopper to any serious interest in Sizemore.

I think this deal may be giving up too much for Sizemore, until he shows that he is ready to be the all-star player he once was.
    Absolutely.

Plus Sizemore costs a lot. Plus he'll be a free agent soon. If he shows he's back to being the old Sizemore, no way the Reds could keep him away from free agency.

IMO, the team needs either a short-term guy on an affordable contract (allowing them to move onto Sappelt, Frazier or someone else affordable in 2012), or a young player who profiles as a regular for a few years under the team's control (Ellsbury, Gardner type).

I still think Kelly Johnson is a realistic target, probably better as a #2 hitter but he still represents an upgrade at the top of the lineup.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

i agree with the responders. it would be a big risk for the Reds to give up value for him right now.if Sizemore looks healthy in the spring them I'd be interested. of course by then the price has gone up.

Sizemore had microfracture surgery. IIRC, it went down around the All Star break. He probably won't be full go until right at the start of the year, that procedure tends to be a 9-10 month rehab.

I would love to buy low on Sizemore.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

what about Chone Figgins...M's going nowhere, Figgins coming off a bad season, seems to be able to play anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    what about Chone Figgins...M's going nowhere, Figgins coming off a bad season, seems to be able to play anywhere
    Figgins for Coco would be sweet. I'd try to play him at SS but if not slot him right into LF, letting him fill in for Rolen on off days and at 2nd & CF every now & then for days off.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Figgins for Coco would be sweet. I'd try to play him at SS but if not slot him right into LF, letting him fill in for Rolen on off days and at 2nd & CF every now & then for days off.
    Wonder if the Ms would take Cordero straight up just to get out of the extra years with Figgins. Figgins at $9 Million in 2012, $8 Million in 2013 with an option likely to vest at $9 Million for 2014 might be a way to bridge the gap at 2B until Billy Hamilton is ready. The Reds would probably let Phillips walk at the end of 2011 if Figgins was acquired.

Personally, I'd rather have Phillips at $12 Million than Figgins at $9 Million.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd rather have Figgins, but just a little. You lose something defensively, but that covers the $3M difference in salary. Figgins is a better fit offensively....no big split, similar OPS but driven by OBP, which is more valuable and something we need at the top of the lineup. Don't worry about last year, look at what happened to Beltre and Ibanez once they got out of Seattle.

Turn Off Ads?