Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds top 20 for 2011

Reds top 20 for 2011

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...pects-for-2011

Didn't see this elsewhere, John Sickles gives out his grades for his top 20 Reds prospects, plus a handful to watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

I generally like and agree with the assesment.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Little surprised at his difference in opinion between Hamilton and Yorman. The way it reads if you read how he ranks these guys he seemingly believes Hamilton could be a superduperstar while he thinks Yorman could be.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Here's our list thus far and his placements:

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP #1
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C #2
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF #10
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B #3
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS #4
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal #5
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF #7
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B #6
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS #11
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF #13
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP #8
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP #14
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP #12
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF Others of Note
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP #9
    Prospect #16 - Ryan LaMarre, OF #17
    Prospect #17 - Juan Duran, OF Others of Note
    Prospect #18 - Junior Arias, SS #16
    Prospect #19 - Sam Lecure, RHP #20
    Prospect #20 - Ronald Torreyes, IF #19
    Prospect #21 - Neftali Soto, IF Others of Note
    Prospect #22 - Jonathan Correa, RHP #18
    Prospect #23 - Danny Dorn, 1B/OF Others of Note
    Last edited by redsmetz; 12-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...ects-in-review

Didn't see this posted, nothing new in terms of rankings, but its John Sickel's late season review of his reds pre-season top 20 prospect list.

4) Billy Hamilton, 2B-SS, Grade B+: Hitting better recently after slow start, currently at .256/.320/.343 with 75 steals in 394 at-bats for Low-A Dayton, 37 walks, 96 strikeouts. Amazing speed. 30 errors and poor range factor at shortstop.
    That's the complete opposite of all we've heard.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Yea. I don't know how a guy with that kind of quickness and speed could have poor range

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Range Factor is a defensive statistic, not a comment on his "range". Hamilton may not be a good defensive shortstop yet, but his range is definitely not the thing holding him back.

It seems as if RZ overrated Yorman. He has a chance to be a good player, but to have rated him higher over some other players in the farm system was questionable.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It seems as if RZ overrated Yorman. He has a chance to be a good player, but to have rated him higher over some other players in the farm system was questionable.
    No it wasn't. He is the best position prospect on the Dragons in my opinion and it is clear for me. Hamilton and Torreyes are pretty close to each other, but I have Yorman clearly ahead of both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Yea. I don't know how a guy with that kind of quickness and speed could have poor range
    He doesn't have poor range, in fact, his range is incredible. But what he does have is poor overall defense on the season, which has hurt his range factor. The kid has the tools to be a special defender at shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No it wasn't. He is the best position prospect on the Dragons in my opinion and it is clear for me. Hamilton and Torreyes are pretty close to each other, but I have Yorman clearly ahead of both of them.
    184 PAs with an .804 OPS at Billings with a Fielding % somewhere around .950 deserves to be the 3rd best prospect in the system? Hmm...

Me thinks Sickles has this one right in terms of his ranking at value at this juncture.

184 PAs with an .804 OPS at Billings with a Fielding % somewhere around .950 deserves to be the 3rd best prospect in the system? Hmm...

Me thinks Sickles has this one right in terms of his ranking at value at this juncture.
    Are you referring to Yorman Rodriguez here? If so, you are forgetting one large thing here.... he was 17 years old.

Prospect rankings aren't about what a guy is doing today. It is about what a guy is going to do in the Major Leagues one day. That is why scouts are paid to do their job instead of just letting someone look at a stat sheet. In the minor leagues there is a lot more to projecting a player forward than looking at his numbers. Yes, they do mean something. But unlike in the Major Leagues, they don't tell anywhere near the entire story.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Are you referring to Yorman Rodriguez here? If so, you are forgetting one large thing here.... he was 17 years old.

Prospect rankings aren't about what a guy is doing today. It is about what a guy is going to do in the Major Leagues one day. That is why scouts are paid to do their job instead of just letting someone look at a stat sheet. In the minor leagues there is a lot more to projecting a player forward than looking at his numbers. Yes, they do mean something. But unlike in the Major Leagues, they don't tell anywhere near the entire story.
    Yes, Yorman. I get his age and that he was very young. I get the scout argument, but prospects value should be weighted upon performance as well 184 good (not great) PAs isn't even close to enough to tell me that this guy is the 3rd best "prospect" in the Reds system with an .817 OPS at Billings. I want to see a lot more from someone before catapulting them up that high on the list.

Yes, Yorman. I get his age and that he was very young. I get the scout argument, but prospects value should be weighted upon performance as well 184 good (not great) PAs isn't even close to enough to tell me that this guy is the 3rd best "prospect" in the Reds system with an .817 OPS at Billings. I want to see a lot more from someone before catapulting them up that high on the list.
    I wasn't sure because you had his OPS wrong the first go around. I assumed you meant him though because his PA's were right.

I don't have Yorman ranked 3rd in the system right now, I doubt others would either. Right now he is sitting at #5 for me. I am a numbers kind of guy, but in the minors I also really like tools guys. Yorman has bat speed that I just see doing some good things in the future. He is fast (not super fast, but he is an above average speed guy) and he has a good arm. Lots of upside there. No one ranked below him can match his upside (short of Stephenson, who isn't signed so he doesn't count) from my list, at least in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?