Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Reds top 20 for 2011

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wasn't sure because you had his OPS wrong the first go around. I assumed you meant him though because his PA's were right.

    I don't have Yorman ranked 3rd in the system right now, I doubt others would either. Right now he is sitting at #5 for me. I am a numbers kind of guy, but in the minors I also really like tools guys. Yorman has bat speed that I just see doing some good things in the future. He is fast (not super fast, but he is an above average speed guy) and he has a good arm. Lots of upside there. No one ranked below him can match his upside (short of Stephenson, who isn't signed so he doesn't count) from my list, at least in my opinion.
    Fair enough. I'd just like to see his defense get better and his power increase before ranking him too high.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    He gave (the player known as) Jonathan Correa a C+. Uhh...

    He ranks Guillon ahead of Corcino. Junior Arias ahead of Neftali Soto. The whole thing is a total joke in my opinion. He has not seen any of these guys play, hasn't talked to the minor league managers, he is just looking at some stats and taking a stab. Anyone could do that. And then other people look at this and they build their own list after absorbing his list.

    These are the kinds of publications that might be fun to read but are basically a follow-the-leader sham and if you are letting the stuff he wrote impact your opinion of anything about any player on the list, you are perpetuating it. It is pretty much worthless.

    J.J. Cooper at least does make a real effort. I can read his comments and see there is nothing there.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He gave (the player known as) Jonathan Correa a C+. Uhh...

    He ranks Guillon ahead of Corcino. Junior Arias ahead of Neftali Soto. The whole thing is a total joke in my opinion. He has not seen any of these guys play, hasn't talked to the minor league managers, he is just looking at some stats and taking a stab. Anyone could do that. And then other people look at this and they build their own list after absorbing his list.

    These are the kinds of publications that might be fun to read but are basically a follow-the-leader sham and if you are letting the stuff he wrote impact your opinion of anything about any player on the list, you are perpetuating it. It is pretty much worthless.

    J.J. Cooper at least does make a real effort. I can read his comments and see there is nothing there.
    These are the 2010 rankings. Not the current rankings.

    And John does get a chance to see some of these guys. He also talks to scouts who have had chances to see them. He is a numbers based guy though.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    What did Correa do to earn the C+?

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Ok, looking at the date I can see the whole thing was wrritten before the season.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    162

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Doug, what numbers do you think Yorman could produce in his prime?

  8. #22
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    Doug, what numbers do you think Yorman could produce in his prime?
    IF things go right in his development, I think he could be a .290 hitter with 30 HR's while playing very good defense in right field.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    IF things go right in his development, I think he could be a .290 hitter with 30 HR's while playing very good defense in right field.
    That's a pretty incredible upside, since there aren't as many 5-tool guys like him out there right now. For now though, he's off my top 10. Too many injuries, too many struggles are making him look like a Lotzkar in the making.

  10. #24
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,875

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    That's a pretty incredible upside, since there aren't as many 5-tool guys like him out there right now. For now though, he's off my top 10. Too many injuries, too many struggles are making him look like a Lotzkar in the making.
    He is 18 years old and playing in Low A. Nearly everyone who fits that bill has struggles.

    As for the injuries... it isn't at all like Lotzkar. The injuries Lotzkar has are likely to replicate because of his mechanics and history. Not so much for Yorman.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is 18 years old and playing in Low A. Nearly everyone who fits that bill has struggles.

    As for the injuries... it isn't at all like Lotzkar. The injuries Lotzkar has are likely to replicate because of his mechanics and history. Not so much for Yorman.
    I agree, and I'm as big a fan of what he can do as anyone here, but there's a lot of talk around here about character concerns as well. All things said, it just seems right now that he's the most likely of all the Dayton prospects to flame out before tasting the big leagues, and I can't put him ahead of guys like Sappelt, Torreyes, and Corcino who have earned their way into the upper echelon of our prospects.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati/Athens
    Posts
    649

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Did Yorman even miss time for injury last year?? Seems like he has had tough luck this year but it is in no way a trend.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

    Needs to get past questions of whether he will play when not 100 percent healthy. Yes, he missed a lot of time last year.

    I would say "make-up" issues rather than "character" issues. And yes, major concerns. A recent conversation involving a group of about six scouts after watching Yorman and Duran:

    Young scout: "Do players with bad make-up develop better makeup when they get older?"

    Older scout (who shall remain nameless but was a major league hitting coach for the last three years): "No, they actually get worse. If they have a sense of entitlement in A-ball, it doesn't get any better when they go higher."

    I liked the way he was swinging the bat until bruising shoulder. But defense in right field just has not been good at all for an 18 year old or any age. Came back Saturday and dropped two fly balls in his first start.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25