Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds top 20 for 2011

Re: Reds top 20 for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wasn't sure because you had his OPS wrong the first go around. I assumed you meant him though because his PA's were right.

I don't have Yorman ranked 3rd in the system right now, I doubt others would either. Right now he is sitting at #5 for me. I am a numbers kind of guy, but in the minors I also really like tools guys. Yorman has bat speed that I just see doing some good things in the future. He is fast (not super fast, but he is an above average speed guy) and he has a good arm. Lots of upside there. No one ranked below him can match his upside (short of Stephenson, who isn't signed so he doesn't count) from my list, at least in my opinion.
    Fair enough. I'd just like to see his defense get better and his power increase before ranking him too high.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He gave (the player known as) Jonathan Correa a C+. Uhh...

He ranks Guillon ahead of Corcino. Junior Arias ahead of Neftali Soto. The whole thing is a total joke in my opinion. He has not seen any of these guys play, hasn't talked to the minor league managers, he is just looking at some stats and taking a stab. Anyone could do that. And then other people look at this and they build their own list after absorbing his list.

These are the kinds of publications that might be fun to read but are basically a follow-the-leader sham and if you are letting the stuff he wrote impact your opinion of anything about any player on the list, you are perpetuating it. It is pretty much worthless.

J.J. Cooper at least does make a real effort. I can read his comments and see there is nothing there.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He gave (the player known as) Jonathan Correa a C+. Uhh...

He ranks Guillon ahead of Corcino. Junior Arias ahead of Neftali Soto. The whole thing is a total joke in my opinion. He has not seen any of these guys play, hasn't talked to the minor league managers, he is just looking at some stats and taking a stab. Anyone could do that. And then other people look at this and they build their own list after absorbing his list.

These are the kinds of publications that might be fun to read but are basically a follow-the-leader sham and if you are letting the stuff he wrote impact your opinion of anything about any player on the list, you are perpetuating it. It is pretty much worthless.

J.J. Cooper at least does make a real effort. I can read his comments and see there is nothing there.
    These are the 2010 rankings. Not the current rankings.

And John does get a chance to see some of these guys. He also talks to scouts who have had chances to see them. He is a numbers based guy though.

What did Correa do to earn the C+?

Ok, looking at the date I can see the whole thing was wrritten before the season.

Doug, what numbers do you think Yorman could produce in his prime?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    Doug, what numbers do you think Yorman could produce in his prime?
    IF things go right in his development, I think he could be a .290 hitter with 30 HR's while playing very good defense in right field.

IF things go right in his development, I think he could be a .290 hitter with 30 HR's while playing very good defense in right field.
    That's a pretty incredible upside, since there aren't as many 5-tool guys like him out there right now. For now though, he's off my top 10. Too many injuries, too many struggles are making him look like a Lotzkar in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    That's a pretty incredible upside, since there aren't as many 5-tool guys like him out there right now. For now though, he's off my top 10. Too many injuries, too many struggles are making him look like a Lotzkar in the making.
    He is 18 years old and playing in Low A. Nearly everyone who fits that bill has struggles.

As for the injuries... it isn't at all like Lotzkar. The injuries Lotzkar has are likely to replicate because of his mechanics and history. Not so much for Yorman.

He is 18 years old and playing in Low A. Nearly everyone who fits that bill has struggles.

As for the injuries... it isn't at all like Lotzkar. The injuries Lotzkar has are likely to replicate because of his mechanics and history. Not so much for Yorman.
    I agree, and I'm as big a fan of what he can do as anyone here, but there's a lot of talk around here about character concerns as well. All things said, it just seems right now that he's the most likely of all the Dayton prospects to flame out before tasting the big leagues, and I can't put him ahead of guys like Sappelt, Torreyes, and Corcino who have earned their way into the upper echelon of our prospects.

Did Yorman even miss time for injury last year?? Seems like he has had tough luck this year but it is in no way a trend.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Needs to get past questions of whether he will play when not 100 percent healthy. Yes, he missed a lot of time last year.

I would say "make-up" issues rather than "character" issues. And yes, major concerns. A recent conversation involving a group of about six scouts after watching Yorman and Duran:

Young scout: "Do players with bad make-up develop better makeup when they get older?"

Older scout (who shall remain nameless but was a major league hitting coach for the last three years): "No, they actually get worse. If they have a sense of entitlement in A-ball, it doesn't get any better when they go higher."

I liked the way he was swinging the bat until bruising shoulder. But defense in right field just has not been good at all for an 18 year old or any age. Came back Saturday and dropped two fly balls in his first start.

Turn Off Ads?