Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Organizational Depth Chart

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: 2011 Organizational Depth Chart

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Catching is interesting. I have to wonder if Grandal will start in AA.

Hanigan/Ramon MLB
    Mesoraco/Corky AAA
    Grandal/McMurray/Coddington AA
    Fleury/Wideman A+
    Barnhardt/Weems/Manz A
    Berset/Gonzalez RK+
    Viscioso/Harford/Sosa

Weems may be back in Billings. Weems is probably in most danger of being let go followed by McMurray and Wideman. Wonder if Soto or Vidal get any time behind the plate.
    I think McMurray will stick around as long as he wants to. His defense is so good that the Reds are happy to have him anywhere in the organization. As long as he doesn't get a lot of at-bats, he's a very good asset.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Valaika is in Cincy, does Frazier play 2nd? Or is that experiment over?

A couple guys who signed late and will almost definitely be playing in a rookie league are Joel Bender and Chad Rogers.

As far as 3B goes in the organization. I would like to see Grandal get some time there on his days off from catching and I truly believe, that Arias will end up there. Has the frame and the arm, his bat will most likely play there.

As big of a fan of Francisco I am, I want to see options there. Soto is defiantly off 3B it seems, Campbell, Costanzo, Buchholtz, Pfister are not answers to any question at their own levels. Maybe when the Reds move some of this talent around they can find a player or two at the lower levels who can stick at the positions. H.Rod can play 3B too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to move him to 3B in High A so that Buchholtz could move back to 2B.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    As far as 3B goes in the organization. I would like to see Grandal get some time there on his days off from catching and I truly believe, that Arias will end up there. Has the frame and the arm, his bat will most likely play there.

As big of a fan of Francisco I am, I want to see options there. Soto is defiantly off 3B it seems, Campbell, Costanzo, Buchholtz, Pfister are not answers to any question at their own levels. Maybe when the Reds move some of this talent around they can find a player or two at the lower levels who can stick at the positions. H.Rod can play 3B too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to move him to 3B in High A so that Buchholtz could move back to 2B.
    I'd like to see Rodriguez play some third base, too. If he has a future in MLB, it's probably as a utility player, and his range is nothing special as a second baseman anyway.

Maybe when the Reds move some of this talent around they can find a player or two at the lower levels who can stick at the positions. H.Rod can play 3B too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to move him to 3B in High A so that Buchholtz could move back to 2B.
    I don't know if Torreyes has the arm, but I've seen him listed at 3B. Could be a Polanco-style player there.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I don't know if Torreyes has the arm, but I've seen him listed at 3B. Could be a Polanco-style player there.
    I don't know anything about his arm either, but until he develops more power, I think he's a more ideal candidate for second base.

As big of a fan of Francisco I am, I want to see options there. Soto is defiantly off 3B it seems.....
    So they pulled him off.....kicking and screaming?

I don't know anything about his arm either, but until he develops more power, I think he's a more ideal candidate for second base.
    Reds have several prospects in the middle infield, and few at 3B. Torreyes has shown enough bat, IMO, to be considered for 3B, so long as he can handle it defensively. My guess is that you're going to see more teams willing to move away from the notion that the 3B has to have HR power in favor of putting a guy there who can field well and give you a professional at bat. Phils played a glove guy there, so did the Giants in the Series. Texas played Young at 3B all year (not that Young's a great defender, but he's not thumper either). Some good Twins teams played Nick Punto at 3B.

Good glove, HR-hitting 3rd basemen are rare. I'm not really concerned that the Reds system is not featuring one of those guys. Especially given that it looks like the team will be able to get slugging from their catcher, whether it be Mesoraco or Grandal, for a long time.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Funny, I was thinking about depth at 3B this morning. The Reds are loaded with 'tweeners who probably don't have the defense to play up the middle and the bat seems a little light for LF or 1B. 3B is the one spot where these guys might combine a passable set of skills on offense and defense.

I'd start Francisco out on the Reds bench as a LH power bat and a twice per week starter subbing for Rolen. Frazier should be given a season playing 3B at AAA to decide if he has a future there once and for all. I'd give Puckett every chance to play 3B at AA. If He can't hack it, I'd play Soto there. Buchholz would play 3B at A+, Vidal at A and Arias at RK+. Even if Arias ends up being the long term answer, the team will at least need a stop gap for a couple years. Rolen is in decline due to age and injury. He probably needs to be backed down to 110 games or so as soon as this year. In 2013 its likely that the Reds will need somebody and Arias probably won't be ready that soon.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

With the Off-Season unofficially, officially over for the Reds FO, thought it might be a good time to revisit this thread and pair stuff down a bit since a few more decision, barring injury have been made for the ML Roster affecting the rosters in the Minors.

My best guess for the Roster break downs goes as such...

Reds

LF Lewis
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan
    SS Janish

MIF Renteria
    CIF Cairo
    OF Gomes
    OF Hermida
    C Hernandez

Heated battles: 1 - 25th Man on roster between Heisey, Hermida, Frazier, Francisco. Hermida's LHB gives him the edge over Heisey in the end.

SP Arroyo
    SP Volquez
    SP Cueto
    SP Wood
    SP Bailey

RP Arredondo
    RP Bray
    RP Burton
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Chapman
    RP Massett
    Cl Cordero

Heated battles - 3 - Bray,Willis and Herrera (LHR), Burton, Smith and Fisher (RHR). Bray is out of options and earning better money and so is Burton, so this is the do or don't year for both of them. Wood or Leake. Wood has nothing left to prove in AAA and Leake hit a wall hard last year. Can't see him making the team over Wood unless Wood implodes in ST.

AAA

CF Sappelt
    RF Heisey
    1B Alonso
    C Mesoraco
    3B Francisco
    LF Frazier
    SS Cozart
    2B Valakia

DH/LF/1B Dorn
    OF Barton
    IF Negron
    C Miller

Most talented AAA team the Reds have ever fielded in my lifetime. 9 bonified prospects, (Dorn at DH) who all could easily fill in and hold their own at the ML Level. If left untouched the team could win 90 games in AAA.

SP Leake
    SP Maloney - LHP
    SP LeCure
    SP Klinker
    SP Thompson

RP Herrera - LHP
    RP Gil
    RP Valiquette - LHP
    RP Horst - LHP
    RP Willis - LHP
    RP Fisher
    RP Smith

Depth is the word of the day. 2 more than capable ML Starters and 4 bullpen arms who have quality ML service time.

AA - The Land of Misfit Prospects

CF Perez
    LF Day
    3B Campbell
    1B Soto
    2B Puckett
    C Denove
    RF Phipps
    SS Rojas

UT Griffin
    IF Kahaulelio
    CIF Costanzo
    C McMurray

Anyone who starts off hot at Bakersfield should be in AA by June 1. Soto, Puckett and Perez are the only maybes in this group, Perez is 26, the rest are poor filler. No depth if injuries happen at AAA.

SP Fairel - LHP
    SP Hotchkiss
    SP Carroll
    SP Webb
    SP Buck

RP Tabor - LHP
    RP Jeffords
    RP Avery
    RP Krebs - LHP
    RP Freeman
    RP Boxberger
    RP Joseph - LHP

Fairel is a nice prospect, nothing fancy, Hotchkiss may end up a reliever again. Carroll, has a shot to b the first call up to AAA, Webb and Buck are both in do or don't seasons. Boxberger, Freeman and Joseph all have ML stuff.

A+

CF LaMarre
    SS Gregorious
    C Grandal
    2B Rodriguez
    1B Richburg
    3B Buchholtz
    LF Greene
    RF Fellhauser

IF Gualdron
    IF Carlson
    OF Means
    C Fleury

The top 4 in this lineup should rake. Each have clear paths to the next level if they start off hot. No real prospect will be in Bakersfield to long if they have to be.

SP Partch
    SP Ravin
    SP Villarreal
    SP Johnson
    SP Sulbaran

RP Serrano
    RP Thurman - LHP
    RP Guerrero
    RP Walker - LHP
    RP Salinas
    RP Gonzalez - LHP
    RP Ware

Nothing to special about the pitching staff. Ravin looked to put it together again but can he stay healthy one full year. Johnson has the make up but not the arm, Sulbaran has the arm but not the make up.

A

SS Hamilton
    C Barnhart
    CF Rodriguez
    LF Satterwhite
    1B Lutz
    RF Garton
    3B Pfister
    2B Lohman

C Coddington
    OF Oliveras
    IF Sierra
    OF Reed

Top 3 are all legit prospects who have the capabilities to be ML players. I can see Hamilton attempting 100 steals in Dayton this year.

SP Corcino
    SP Robles - LHP
    SP Tuttle
    SP Shunick
    SP Lotzkar

RP Crabbe
    RP Carson
    RP Infante - LHP
    RP Chiu - LHP
    RP Doyle
    RP Howell
    RP Smith

Corcino is the headline act and Robles has polish and flashed it in Billings. Lotzkar is the Wildcard and could be in AA by the end of the year. No true bullpen star but alot more talent than last season.

Billings/Arizona - Pre Draft / Extended ST

1B D'Anna / Kaskow / Maddox
    2B Torreyes / Muenster
    3B Santos / Vidal / Rodriguez
    SS Arias / Diaz / Valor
    OF Duran / Bowe / Waldrop / Taylor
    OF Read / Mueller / Morrison
    OF Silva / Matthews / Hunt / Poulk
    C Wideman / Berset / Manz / Weems

SP Correa / Guillon - LHP / Clarke - LHP
    SP Cisco / Mugarian / Amezcua / Quezada
    SP Gerson / Contreras / Hildenbrandt

RP Adames / Muhammad
    RP Wolford / Ernst
    RP Smith / Quinn
    RP Leonard / O'Rear
    RP Panerati - LHP
    RP Hayes / Driessen - LHP
    RP Martinez / Arico

Lots of talent. Tons of potential in this group.

No place to go...

Cochran
    Medina
    Reed
    Eymann
    Janke
    Gaffney
    Bowman
    J. Martinez
    Braun
    Walczak
    Weems
    Nurre
    Conner
    Pearl - DL
    Lutz - DL

Like to hear your refreshed take on things.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

SP Fairel - LHP

Fairel is a nice prospect, nothing fancy,

Like to hear your refreshed take on things.
    Fairel had surgery. He won't be ready to go until midseason at the earliest.

Torreyes played six games in Dayton at the end of last season. I'm guessing he goes back to Dayton again this season. If he then struggles, he could be moved to the Instructional League or Billings.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Torreyes played six games in Dayton at the end of last season. I'm guessing he goes back to Dayton again this season. If he then struggles, he could be moved to the Instructional League or Billings.
    Where does he play though?

-The Insider-

Nemesis, very good breakdown.

I think Costanzo will be in Trips and not back in Carolina. And I don't see Negron not starting. With him being on the 40, they aren't just gonna send him to Triple-A to sit on the bench. He'll start somewhere, rather it be in Triple-A at short or second, or Double-A at short or second. I think the more likely scenario is letting Negron go back to Double-A and start at short and have Rojel start the season back in Bakersfield or maybe on Carolina's bench.
    Also, I don't think Griff will be back in Carolina.

Turn Off Ads?