Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drunk Driver Gets Sentence - Adenhart Crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Drunk Driver Gets Sentence - Adenhart Crash

The drunk driver who killed Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two of his friends (and injured a fourth guy) got 51 years to life in prison today for his crime. I'm really glad they threw the book at him. In my opinion, repeat offenders should not be given any leniency. Below is the story and I hope the families are finding some peace.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/gallo...t-driving.html
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Re: Drunk Driver Gets Sentence - Adenhart Crash

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    The drunk driver who killed Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two of his friends (and injured a fourth guy) got 51 years to life in prison today for his crime. I'm really glad they threw the book at him. In my opinion, repeat offenders should not be given any leniency. Below is the story and I hope the families are finding some peace.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/gallo...t-driving.html
    He deserved prison time, but as much as I despise drunk driving (and believe me I do), 51 to life?

It's still an accident, albeit not his first one. Personally I think that's way too much. Taking even 10 years of a man's life is pretty strong punishment. But spending the rest of his life behind bars because of this... well, I understand the reasoning (as Adenhart can't get his life back), but I don't agree with it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He deserved prison time, but as much as I despise drunk driving (and believe me I do), 51 to life?

It's still an accident, albeit not his first one. Personally I think that's way too much. Taking even 10 years of a man's life is pretty strong punishment. But spending the rest of his life behind bars because of this... well, I understand the reasoning (as Adenhart can't get his life back), but I don't agree with it.
    He didn't get 51 years to life for drunk driving, he got 51 years to life for 2nd degree murder. He was driving with a suspended license for previous drunk driving convictions, meaning he shouldn't have even been driving sober. My feeling, without knowing all the facts, is that if you don't lock this guy up, he will do it again.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    He didn't get 51 years to life for drunk driving, he got 51 years to life for 2nd degree murder. He was driving with a suspended license for previous drunk driving convictions, meaning he shouldn't have even been driving sober. My feeling, without knowing all the facts, is that if you don't lock this guy up, he will do it again.
    Just to clarify and bolster the post that you had, 44...

Gallo was convicted in September of three counts of second-degree murder and single counts of drunken driving, hit-and-run driving and driving under the influence of alcohol and causing great bodily injury.

Judge Richard F. Toohey gave Gallo 15 years to life on each of the murder counts and six additional years for the other crimes.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5946234

When your own attorney is arguing that you should only receive one sentence of 15 years to life, you know you are in deep trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

As I said, I didn't say he doesn't deserve prison time.

10 years in prison and having your license forever revoked is a pretty strong punishment for a 24-year old.

The murder charge is still trumped up in the sense it's still an accident. I realize he was previously in trouble for having been driving drunk. That's why I have nothing against a prison sentence. But again, it's not like he meant to kill anyone. Ten years would sure seem like a message to send loud and clear for this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

As I said, I didn't say he doesn't deserve prison time.

10 years in prison and having your license forever revoked is a pretty strong punishment for a 24-year old.

The murder charge is still trumped up in the sense it's still an accident. I realize he was previously in trouble for having been driving drunk. That's why I have nothing against a prison sentence. But again, it's not like he meant to kill anyone. Ten years would sure seem like a message to send loud and clear for this.
    Based on this guys history, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Based on this guys history, it was an accident waiting to happen.
    Agreed completely. But you don't think 10 years behind bars would change his life perspective?

Murderers, rapists, etc., perhaps not. But drunk drivers? I'd have to think he'd leave prison with a much different outlook on life.

Edit: nm. This is why I shouldn't post at 1:40 in the morning.
    Last edited by reds1869; 12-23-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Even though his sentence is 51 to life, I am sure with good behavior, and a true change in the person he is he will get out much sooner.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

With absolutely no disrespect for the Adenharts, I fail to see how having this guy live off of our tax dollars while doing absolutely nothing constructive or productive for the rest of his life honors the memory of Nick or makes society a better place.

The guy did something monstrously stupid and neglectful. He deserves to be punished and payback society. But is 51 years somehow going to teach him a lesson that he won't learn in 5 years? 25 years?

It's a shame our justice system can't find a way to make the punishment actually do something positive for society rather than just throwing another life down the toilet.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With absolutely no disrespect for the Adenharts, I fail to see how having this guy live off of our tax dollars while doing absolutely nothing constructive or productive for the rest of his life honors the memory of Nick or makes society a better place.

The guy did something monstrously stupid and neglectful. He deserves to be punished and payback society. But is 51 years somehow going to teach him a lesson that he won't learn in 5 years? 25 years?

It's a shame our justice system can't find a way to make the punishment actually do something positive for society rather than just throwing another life down the toilet.
    I completely agree with this general concept and have argued this point for decades. Our current penal system is based more on revenge than justice. But I think that's a discussion for another forum.

Driving a vehicle is a privilege, not a right, there are laws and stipulations you have to follow to legally drive a car (such as registration, insurance, obtaining a license, following the rules of the road). Owning a gun is a similar example, minus the insurance. You shoot four people by accident and kill three with a gun that you illegally possess, you pay the price, which is likely something along the lines of 51 to life, especially if you have had previous run ins with the law for being reckless with the firearm.

Why should a vehicle be treated any different? It is very much a dangerous weapon that should only be handled responsibly.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Driving a vehicle is a privilege, not a right, there are laws and stipulations you have to follow to legally drive a car (such as registration, insurance, obtaining a license, following the rules of the road). Owning a gun is a similar example, minus the insurance. You shoot four people by accident and kill three with a gun that you illegally possess, you pay the price, which is likely something along the lines of 51 to life, especially if you have had previous run ins with the law for being reckless with the firearm.

Why should a vehicle be treated any different? It is very much a dangerous weapon that should only be handled responsibly.
    Well, while you make some decent points, I'm of the belief the government doesn't tell us what our privileges are or should be. I'm of the opinion that we should have the freedom to do what we want, with the obvious caveat that if you do something, then get punished and that you do not attempt to impose on another's free will or existence.

But I vehemently oppose the "privilege" approach to driving. In my opinion, free will should always give someone the right to do something provided there are consequences if you abuse that.

That said, regardless of my thoughts on the government telling us whether or not we can use a motor vehicle, he made a mistake already and was punished for it and didn't learn his lesson. So a prison sentence of some nature is warranted. But as Rick said, this length was probably way over the top.

Well, while you make some decent points, I'm of the belief the government doesn't tell us what our privileges are or should be. I'm of the opinion that we should have the freedom to do what we want, with the obvious caveat that if you do something, then get punished and that you do not attempt to impose on another's free will or existence.

But I vehemently oppose the "privilege" approach to driving. In my opinion, free will should always give someone the right to do something provided there are consequences if you abuse that.

That said, regardless of my thoughts on the government telling us whether or not we can use a motor vehicle, he made a mistake already and was punished for it and didn't learn his lesson. So a prison sentence of some nature is warranted. But as Rick said, this length was probably way over the top.
    We are free to use a motor vehicle, to drive it however we want. That is, until we use public roads. Then we have to follow the regulations established by the builders and maintainers of those roads. The privilege is not in driving, but in using public roads.

If we want to build and maintain our own roads, we are free to drive whatever we want in them, whenever we want, and however we want. That's why NASCAR drivers don't get tickets.

It was an accident in the sense that it was a traffic accident but what this person did wasn't all that different than going outside with a gun and firing several rounds towards a crowded park.

The government and traffic laws exist just for people like this because the three dead victims deserved the ability to pursue life, liberty and happiness.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?