Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drunk Driver Gets Sentence - Adenhart Crash

Re: Drunk Driver Gets Sentence - Adenhart Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Well, while you make some decent points, I'm of the belief the government doesn't tell us what our privileges are or should be. I'm of the opinion that we should have the freedom to do what we want, with the obvious caveat that if you do something, then get punished and that you do not attempt to impose on another's free will or existence.

But I vehemently oppose the "privilege" approach to driving. In my opinion, free will should always give someone the right to do something provided there are consequences if you abuse that.

That said, regardless of my thoughts on the government telling us whether or not we can use a motor vehicle, he made a mistake already and was punished for it and didn't learn his lesson. So a prison sentence of some nature is warranted. But as Rick said, this length was probably way over the top.
    We are free to use a motor vehicle, to drive it however we want. That is, until we use public roads. Then we have to follow the regulations established by the builders and maintainers of those roads. The privilege is not in driving, but in using public roads.

If we want to build and maintain our own roads, we are free to drive whatever we want in them, whenever we want, and however we want. That's why NASCAR drivers don't get tickets.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It was an accident in the sense that it was a traffic accident but what this person did wasn't all that different than going outside with a gun and firing several rounds towards a crowded park.

The government and traffic laws exist just for people like this because the three dead victims deserved the ability to pursue life, liberty and happiness.....
    This is a great way to put it. Gallo got into a 2,500 pound hunk of metal with a BAC three times the legal limit (he said that he never remembered driving the car that night) and effectively ended the lives of four people (three people dead, one person living with a spine separated from his skull). This is horrifyingly dangerous and the active decision that he made to drive that night is why he was charged with three counts of second degree murder. The only separation between first degree murder and second degree murder is the premeditation of the act. If this was viewed as a true accident, why wasn't even Gallo's lawyer demanding that the charges be dropped to vehicular manslaughter or something significantly lesser than second degree murder?

I agree with jojo's analogy here- a man who receives a 9mm handgun for Christmas and then proceeds to take target practice at a tree in his backyard but ends up missing and killing three people and severely injuring a fourth probably receives the same set of charges and the same sentence. It doesn't matter if he didn't think that he would hurt or kill anybody.

And to address Rick's point about the fact that now Gallo is living off of American tax dollars for the next 51-100000 years: there are an immense number of criminals even in our own city of Cincinnati who are living off of American tax dollars for absurdly petty reasons- drug use or personal possession (not distribution), petty theft, unpaid parking tickets, and so on. Overcrowding in the jails is not due to DUI offenders who kill people- those are the people that have worked hard to earn their cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

My problem is we live in a society where if you smoke cigarettes, everybody looks at you like you're the devil incarnate, even though you're hurting nobody, while drinking alcohol, which is incredibly risky, is celebrated and encouraged.

And lets not disguise the issue and say it's only drunk driving. Sure, that's the proximate cause, but since when are we so nuanced as to look at proximate causes? It's not realistic, which is why condemning it has had little effect. It's drinking period that's the real problem. We do way too much of it. I know people who would never hurt a fly while sober, but get a few drinks in them and they have no problem hopping behind the wheel. The problem is their altered mind-state.

Somehow altering your mind-state has become some glorified thing, when it should be seen the weakness that it is, and one that can have horrible consequences. Everybody laughs at the tattoo they don't remember getting during some binge, but nobody thinks that it's pure dumb luck that the bad decision they happened make wasn't one that ended up killing somebody.

When somebody tells you they drink regularly, our first instinct should be suspicion. If they tell you they drink heavily, we should downright look down on them, like something's wrong with them. Some people do, but too many celebrate it, like its the greatest thing. (Again, if we're going to snub our noses at cigarette smokers, then drinkers should be looked at a lot worse.)

This guy's punishment fits the crime, but a part of me feels bad for him because society encourages the whole lifestyle. I'm not saying it's society's fault, its definitely his fault, at least legally. We have control of our actions. He could have had a cab lined up before he went out, or stayed home altogether. But I still think society is wrong in the way we look at drinking in general.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 12-23-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    If this was viewed as a true accident, why wasn't even Gallo's lawyer demanding that the charges be dropped to vehicular manslaughter or something significantly lesser than second degree murder?
    It sounds like his attorney did try, but it was easily overruled. This article doesn't mention it, but after his first DUI conviction Gallo signed a court document that explicitly stated that should someone die as a result of a subsequent drinking and driving offense against him, he can and will be tried for murder.

ETA: kpresidente, you won't get an argument from me. Alcohol is an extremely dangerous drug, one that has addictive and harmful physiological attributes that are on par or worse than such other drugs as methamphetamines and cocaine. Of course, in moderation it's actually beneficial, but there's a slippery slope from moderation to alcohol abuse.
    Last edited by Screwball; 12-23-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I disagree, firing several rounds towards a crowded park shows intent to purposefully harm and/or kill someone, anyone. Driving drunk while certainly can have the same effect doesn't show his intent to harm, he has probably drove wasted dozens of times without incident and accomplished his goal which was no doubt going from point A to point B. Oh sure society doesn't recognize it as any different but society is biased. I'm not saying he isn't a criminal, I'm also not saying he doesn't deserve to be punished heavily but they aren't the same thing IMO and there should be a fine line. The worse part is I have seen plenty of cases of where someone showed purposeful intent to harm or even kill and got far, far less, where is the justice there? It's a case of society's stigma for drinking and driving. Alot seem to actually view it as a worse crime against society than being a cold calculating murderer.
    Yet there are bars everywhere doing just fine.Liquor license are handed out to just about anyone with the money to open up or buy a bar.Most of these bars sell nothing other then beer and liquor and usually offers free entertainment to get people there to buy their products.Most of these bars are nowhere near walking distance for most who go there.So what does this all mean?You guys do the math.

I think we all agree that this guy was due a harsh punishment.51 years seems like a lot though for doing something that a large chunk of the general population does to some extent on a regular basis.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

My problem is we live in a society where if you smoke cigarettes, everybody looks at you like you're the devil incarnate, even though you're hurting nobody, while drinking alcohol, which is incredibly risky, is celebrated and encouraged.

And lets not disguise the issue and say it's only drunk driving. Sure, that's the proximate cause, but since when are we so nuanced as to look at proximate causes? It's not realistic, which is why condemning it has had little effect. It's drinking period that's the real problem. We do way too much of it. I know people who would never hurt a fly while sober, but get a few drinks in them and they have no problem hopping behind the wheel. The problem is their altered mind-state.

Somehow altering your mind-state has become some glorified thing, when it should be seen the weakness that it is, and one that can have horrible consequences. Everybody laughs at the tattoo they don't remember getting during some binge, but nobody thinks that it's pure dumb luck that the bad decision they happened make wasn't one that ended up killing somebody.

When somebody tells you they drink regularly, our first instinct should be suspicion. If they tell you they drink heavily, we should downright look down on them, like something's wrong with them. Some people do, but too many celebrate it, like its the greatest thing. (Again, if we're going to snub our noses at cigarette smokers, then drinkers should be looked at a lot worse.)

This guy's punishment fits the crime, but a part of me feels bad for him because society encourages the whole lifestyle. I'm not saying it's society's fault, its definitely his fault, at least legally. We have control of our actions. He could have had a cab lined up before he went out, or stayed home altogether. But I still think society is wrong in the way we look at drinking in general.
    Good post, kp. The only thing I might add is that second-hand smoke can also hurt people in a long-term sort of way.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Yet there are bars everywhere doing just fine.Liquor license are handed out to just about anyone with the money to open up or buy a bar.Most of these bars sell nothing other then beer and liquor and usually offers free entertainment to get people there to buy their products.Most of these bars are nowhere near walking distance for most who go there.So what does this all mean?You guys do the math.
    This is false. In Ohio, liquor licenses are limited to a per capita basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Department of Commerce
    Class C1, C2, D1, D2, D3, D4, D5 permits are issued pursuant to a quota system established by ORC 4303.29. The quota system is based upon the population of each individual city or township. All C class permits are issued per ratio of 1 for every 1,000 persons, with D class permits being issued per ratio of 1 for every 2,000 persons, except in cities of more than 55,000 the D3 ratio is 1 for every 1,500.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Gallo was driving on a suspended license because of a 2006 drunken-driving conviction, and forensic tests revealed he had nearly three times the legal limit for driving of alcohol in his system at the time of the crash.
    While prison may seem severe to some for a crime like this, remember, if he's in prison, he can't drive. If he's not in prison, he can drive drunk again and again and again suspended/revoked license or not.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

He killed three people. Fifty years is getting off light....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He killed three people. Fifty years is getting off light....
    Getting off light? For an accident? Right. Yeah 50 years behind bars is getting off light.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7921899.story

If he had only killed one, and been a police officer in Florida, all he would have gotten was two traffic tickets.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Getting off light? For an accident? Right. Yeah 50 years behind bars is getting off light.
    I'm a bit confused as to how a guy with a >.24 BAC running through a red light and t-boning another car, resulting in three deaths and a serious injury can be viewed as an accident in any way other than the "any time two cars come into contact with one another it is an accident" way.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

I'm a bit confused why this is still in the baseball part of the site, it hasn't threaded towards that subject at all (and not that it's a bad talk going on)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This is false. In Ohio, liquor licenses are limited to a per capita basis.
    I'm sorry but it's not false.There are ways around that particular law.Like I said, if you have the money you can get one pretty easily.Districts with license available are able to sell their license to people wanting to open a bar somewhere that has no license available.Large restaurant chains with deep pockets will never have a problem sitting up shop if they're putting up a nice free standing building.I've even heard of city council members agreeing to issue a license when technically there are none available.I'm not saying that in every case it's easy but if you have the money or know the right person this law doesn't apply.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

First off, this is coming from an alcoholic with a DUI, which has been pretty well documented here on RedsZone. I see alcoholism as a disease. If someone were to have an extreme personality disorder, we would want help for that person. Sometimes, that person would recover, and other times, he would end up hurting society over and over again. We always hope for the former instance, but for the latter, it often ends in imprisonment. It's a depressing thought, but nearly everyone in prison is sick in some way, and we simply don't have the resources to properly rehabilitate people. Instead of helping them, we just stick them in prison and kind of adopt an out-of-sight-out-of-mind approach. These are very sick people, and I'll bet you the majority of them have some sort of addiction in their lives. It's a disease, and the man who 'murdered' these three innocent people obviously suffers from it. What he needs more than punishment is help. However, what completely changes things in my view is that this isn't his first offense.

If it were, I'd say, "Wow. What a ridiculous punishment. This is just over-the-top." Unfortunately, he's a multi-offender and signed an agreement that stated he would be tried for murder if something like this were to happen. I stand by my statement that he needs help more than punishment, but he knew the consequences and proceeded with his actions anyway. It's his responsibility to seek help, and he refused to do so. As a result, people are dead, and he is stuck with the consequences. Is his punishment fair? Maybe, maybe not. But he knew the consequences and won't get any slack from me.

Turn Off Ads?