Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Damon

Johnny Damon

Ok here is another player I would like the Reds to consider for Lead off and LF.

Johnny Damon had a .355 OBP last year which matches his CAREER...

While not a .380-.400 OBP that I wish for, I believe Damon could be had for 5 Million base plus incentives and would provide leadership and has been a champion 3 Times... Which IMO his role on those Championship Teams is invaulable in the Club House....

I would then want to see Cordero Moved Possible with the Reds eating 2.5-3 Million to make room for Damon's acquisition... I don't really want the Reds to get Scott Podsednik...

Damon will hit 40 Doubles and in GAB will probably return to 20+ Homers while maintaining his .355 OBP in the Lead Off spot...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Damon

Sounds good to me, johnny damon rocks.

Getting someone to take on Coco's salary is the problem there. If that could happen, I would hope they jump all over that. I have heard we are stuck with Coco until his contract is up though. Damon would be killer here though!

Johnny Damon, could be the answer to Left field for the Reds. Who knows maybe he is the next player to find the fountain of youth in the tunnels of GABP.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

That would be a great move but like you said we would have to get rid of Coco to make the salary room and I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by drew20 View Post
    That would be a great move but like you said we would have to get rid of Coco to make the salary room and I don't see that happening.
    After Soriano signs, you will see either the Tigers, Angels, or White Sox on the look for a Closer...

Damon should be affordable without moving Cordero. He'll probably only get $3-4M if that.

The problem is that he can't play defense anymore. He only played 268 innings in the field last year, and for good reason. I doubt he can even justify playing that many in 2011. It's not even an issue of how good will he be, he just isn't healthy enough anymore for it. He's just old and worn down, like Griffey was at the end.

As a 5th outfielder, he'd be great, but he can't be relied on to play in the field everyday, or even in a platoon.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I worry he will pull a Scott Rolen and be worn down for the second part of the season.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

What is the "thing" for old guys?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What is the "thing" for old guys?
    I had a thing for Greinke and Reyes but you said it wasnt happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I had a thing for Greinke and Reyes but you said it wasnt happening.
    Don't need the Greinkemister and want no part of the Mr. Reyes at his cost. The Reds have specific needs to fill with limited resouces money wise to do it. I would much rather see us give some of our younger players a shot (so far worked out well for Votto/Stubbs/Bruce/Cueto/leake/Wood then spend money and players on someone like a Reyes or Reinteria or Damon.

Don't need the Greinkemister and want no part of the Mr. Reyes at his cost. The Reds have specific needs to fill with limited resouces money wise to do it. I would much rather see us give some of our younger players a shot (so far worked out well for Votto/Stubbs/Bruce/Cueto/leake/Wood then spend money and players on someone like a Reyes or Reinteria or Damon.
    Reyes is 28 and going into contract year...

Reyes is 28 and going into contract year...
    So? He is at 11 million now, he has shown an inability to stay healthy over the past two seasons. Sorry not someone i see fitting into the Reds system, rather see us just leave Janish there, bat him 8th and know I have a guy who will be a gold glover and give me 150+ games a season.

So? He is at 11 million now, he has shown an inability to stay healthy over the past two seasons. Sorry not someone i see fitting into the Reds system, rather see us just leave Janish there, bat him 8th and know I have a guy who will be a gold glover and give me 150+ games a season.
    Janish is a back up and his history shows he wears down the more he plays...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Janish is a back up and his history shows he wears down the more he plays...
    Yeah, 20 out of 30 General Managers will tell you so.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?