Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sheldon writes: Chapman to the pen 'for sure'

Mark Sheldon writes: Chapman to the pen 'for sure'

I thought that this deserved its own thread. Sheldon states the following in an article describing how the Reds will replace Rhodes "In 15 relief appearances for the Reds after his Aug. 31 promotion, Chapman was 2-2 with a 2.03 ERA. In 13 1/3 innings, the 22-year-old left-hander had five walks and 19 strikeouts. The club was leaning toward having him back in the bullpen again before eventually making him a starter. This should cinch a bullpen role, for sure."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

I don't know about 'for sure' but I'll bet money Chapman is in the bullpen for 2011.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mark Sheldon writes: Chapman to the pen 'for sure'

Not sure if this means anything or not, but it sure looks like Chapman's going to the pen based on everything we've heard.

That would be a good move if Cordero is dealt. (Keep hoping for that Beltran for Cordero deal to be announced.) Otherwise, it seems as if Cincinnati is leaving a lot of potential help in a fairly minor role, as Chapman is, at best, going to end up an 8th inning set-up man or two-inning middle reliever, a la Logan Ondrusek.

Chapman needs to be given every opportunity possible during spring training to win a spot in the starting rotation, IMO.

Pedro Martinez started his career in the bullpen, too.

This is pure conjecture by Sheldon.

He claims "The Reds" have wanted to keep Chapman in the pen, but IIRC, Jocketty has been quoted very recently saying that Chapman will start ST as a starter. It only was Baker who expressed that he wanted Chapman for the pen.

Maybe Sheldon knows something that he has not reported, but I'm not convinced he's right on this.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Starting out in the pen is a fine way to break in, but most guys who do that have logged the necessary innings to transition back to starter. Chapman really doesn't have the inning base to go out there and pitch even 150 innings and to get it he needs a full year starting in AAA. Adding him to the big league team was a good win now move in 2010 and he performed well, but cutting short his 2010 season in the rotation at AAA has set back his preparation time. The Reds have created a Joba situation here. Chapman is an asset to the big league team right now in a relief role, but to be the foundation player he was inteneded to be, the rotation is where he belongs and to get there he needs to start. From here it looks exactly as it looked at the end of 2010. Chapman's role in 2011 is as the successor to Rhodes as late inning lefty with a transition to closer when Cordero leaves. 2012 may just see Chapman settle in as a 9th inning intimidator with guys like Joseph, Valiquette and maybe Mace Thurman ready to be the set-up lefty group.

Chapman is on a pretty good path to becoming an even more valuable late inning arm. Its a bit of a tough spot for the Reds. He's really the only guy available for the job in 2011 and it doesn't look like the team has the cash to bring in somebody else even if they were inclined to back Chapman up a bit and let him start in AAA. He can be the leader of a fairly economical pen for the next several years by just keeping him on this path. Its a tough choice to make but money seems to be dictating the relief route IMO. There are worse things than juicing the crowd up every night by the possibility of a guy coming into a close game throwing 100 MPH and shutting the door. The 100 MPH hype would probably be a thing of the past with Chapman as a starter.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-24-2010 at 05:26 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Chapman really doesn't have the inning base to go out there and pitch even 150 innings and to get it he needs a full year starting in AAA.
    Chapman may achieve 150 this year out of the pen with Dusty at the helm.

BTW, good post.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman needs to be given every opportunity possible during spring training to win a spot in the starting rotation, IMO.
    I agree. You don't sign a guy like Chapman, and pay him a lot of money, and then use him out of the pen. If he's ready to be a starter, find a spot for him in the rotation. You can find pen fodder on the FA market for a respectable price, 100mph+ throwing leftys you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I agree. You don't sign a guy like Chapman, and pay him a lot of money, and then use him out of the pen. If he's ready to be a starter, find a spot for him in the rotation. You can find pen fodder on the FA market for a respectable price, 100mph+ throwing leftys you can't.
    I agree 100%, until I hear Walt say he's in the bullpen Im figuring Chapman has a shot at the starting rotation and no one can convince me he's going into the bullpen

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Until Chapman shows he can get ML hitters out while pitching with runners on base, then I'm fine with him in the bullpen. Pitching in relief for a couple years worked for this guy named Johan Santana too, in addition to Pedro.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Stuff is pretty fluid until April and can change at the professional level in sports. Nothing would surprise me at this point for things to be anounced and change several times from there.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I want Chapman in a much higher leverage role than as the 7th/8th inning reliever. Either make him the closer, or nurse him into starting.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Until Chapman shows he can get ML hitters out while pitching with runners on base, then I'm fine with him in the bullpen. Pitching in relief for a couple years worked for this guy named Johan Santana too, in addition to Pedro.
    Those guys had already built up the number of innings they were able to pitch. Chapman hasn't done that yet and indeed didn't get to last year because of the move to the bullpen.

How much did he pitch in Cuba. Was he a starter or reliever there?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?