Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Lemire's SI Power Rankings --> Reds at #4

Joe Lemire's SI Power Rankings --> Reds at #4

What does everyone think of Joe Lemire's early offseason Power Rankings? He has the Reds as the fourth best team in baseball--trailing only the Red Sox, Phillies and Giants.

While I am highly encouraged and enthusiastic about the future of this team, I'm not so sure they're the fourth best team in baseball. I'd put them in the 9-13 range prior to the season, with the potential to jump into this upper echelon if they continue to gel and improve.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Lemire's SI Power Rankings --> Reds at #4

Good to see but I don't see us above the Yankees, Rangers, Twins and Braves if we stand pat. I'm not even sure we are better than the White Sox, Rays, and Rockies for that matter.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I think Joe Lemire sees the same thing the Reds front office sees...improvement by standing pat. The FO is counting on Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey and Janish to each improve with age/experience. The pitching staff should be improved over last season just by having Chapman and Volquez both available and healthy for entire season. Although, I would like to see an upgrade in LF or at SS, I believe this team can win more games in 2011 than it did in 2010.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I don't see a problem with it. Young players usually get better, and the Reds have a lot of young players. One of Bruce or Stubbs could very well have a breakout year where they play great for a whole season. Pitching will be in better shape with a healthy Volquez and a plethora of good guys to pick from. Barring injuries, defense should be just as good.

I think a lot of us Reds fans are discounting the upside a lot of our players have going into next season. Yeah, the other teams in the division might shape up and make the playoffs and leave the Reds at home, but on the other hand I still think #4 is well within this team's upside for 2011.
    Last edited by lonewolf371; 12-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.

If Walts gets oof his can and makes a move or 2 the Reds could be #1. But that involves Walt getting off his arse and doing something. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    If Walts gets oof his can and makes a move or 2 the Reds could be #1. But that involves Walt getting off his arse and doing something. Not going to happen.
    Glad someone else agrees...

I would have rather the Reds NOT resigned Hernadez for 3 Million and Cairo for 1 Million, took that 4 Million and Invested in Greinke for the Rotation or Reyes for SS, and then took the rest of the winter trying to find a taker for Cordero's contract (Examples: White Sox, Angels, Tigers all need Closers) then bargain shopped for a Back up infielder to take Cairo's spot or used Cozart as the Bench player for league minimum, and also bargain shopped for a catcher to back up Hanigan.

The resigning of Hernadez and especially Cairo was useless. I wish the Reds would learn to use their money in a smart way and not throw 5 million away on garbage.

I don't understand calling Hernandez "garbage". When his #'s and Hanigan's are combined, it added up to a top 3 or 4 in the league from that catching position. .297 BA, obp .364, I'd call that good for a 1/2 time catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I don't understand calling Hernandez "garbage". When his #'s and Hanigan's are combined, it added up to a top 3 or 4 in the league from that catching position. .297 BA, obp .364, I'd call that good for a 1/2 time catcher.
    Same here. Cairo was especially cheap and played well in his role. We also need two good catchers. Sure, we could run Hanigan out there for 110 games a year, but what about the other 52? What if he gets hurt? Why spend the money on another starting pitcher when we have 6 who are very good?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post

I would have rather the Reds NOT resigned Hernadez for 3 Million and Cairo for 1 Million, took that 4 Million and Invested in Greinke for the Rotation or Reyes for SS, and then took the rest of the winter trying to find a taker for Cordero's contract (Examples: White Sox, Angels, Tigers all need Closers) then bargain shopped for a Back up infielder to take Cairo's spot or used Cozart as the Bench player for league minimum, and also bargain shopped for a catcher to back up Hanigan.
    In what world does $4mil even get us half-way to Greinke or Reyes? I'd like to have Zack in our rotation too, but he is out of the Reds budget.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

So you want to break up one of the best catching tandems in the league which is already signed for ridiculously cheap? Also retaining Hernandez gives you a spanish speaking catcher in case Chapman cracks the starting rotation this season as well as someone who can speak with Cueto and Volquez, although their english is better. Also note that the replacement for Hernandez would still cost atleast half a mil.

As for Cairo, Not signing him would only net you a half mil per season since the replacement for him will cost you at least half a mil if not more if you want any sort of proven player. So with simple addition and subtraction the money freed up by Walt not making these moves is only $3 mil at the max.

You say Walt is sitting on his butt not doing anything. But he has made moves to keep around the players that contributed to this teams success last year (Hernandez, Cairo, Bruce extension, Arroyo extension) and is still working on contracts to keep good pieces here (Cueto and Votto LTC, Rhodes). But I guess something like a Rhodes contract (9th best ERA of relievers over the past 2 season with min 90 innings) or signing Votto (NL MPV, but those are easy to replace :-P) wouldn't be a big signing.

Honestly you have it in your head that you want a big deal or free agent signing to show up on the front page of ESPN or something, and well your just not going to see it. So unless you want to be disappointed all off season you might want to reevaluate what you consider is Walt not doing any work and actually enjoy the fact that he is putting together a team that will be able to compete for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    In what world does $4mil even get us half-way to Greinke or Reyes? I'd like to have Zack in our rotation too, but he is out of the Reds budget.
    Agreed, the Brewers added about $12-$14 million in payroll for Greinke. As for Reyes I doubt the motivation for moving him would be to free up payroll so much as acquiring prospects, but you would pay dearly in prospects to get the Mets to cover all but $3 million of Reyes' contract.

Anyone who hates on Hernandez is a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    So you want to break up one of the best catching tandems in the league which is already signed for ridiculously cheap? Also retaining Hernandez gives you a spanish speaking catcher in case Chapman cracks the starting rotation this season as well as someone who can speak with Cueto and Volquez, although their english is better. Also note that the replacement for Hernandez would still cost atleast half a mil.

As for Cairo, Not signing him would only net you a half mil per season since the replacement for him will cost you at least half a mil if not more if you want any sort of proven player. So with simple addition and subtraction the money freed up by Walt not making these moves is only $3 mil at the max.

You say Walt is sitting on his butt not doing anything. But he has made moves to keep around the players that contributed to this teams success last year (Hernandez, Cairo, Bruce extension, Arroyo extension) and is still working on contracts to keep good pieces here (Cueto and Votto LTC, Rhodes). But I guess something like a Rhodes contract (9th best ERA of relievers over the past 2 season with min 90 innings) or signing Votto (NL MPV, but those are easy to replace :-P) wouldn't be a big signing.

Honestly you have it in your head that you want a big deal or free agent signing to show up on the front page of ESPN or something, and well your just not going to see it. So unless you want to be disappointed all off season you might want to reevaluate what you consider is Walt not doing any work and actually enjoy the fact that he is putting together a team that will be able to compete for years to come.

Agreed, the Brewers added about $12-$14 million in payroll for Greinke. As for Reyes I doubt the motivation for moving him would be to free up payroll so much as acquiring prospects, but you would pay dearly in prospects to get the Mets to cover all but $3 million of Reyes' contract.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post

Lets get real.

Votto, Cueto, Bruce, are all under contract for a few more seasons.

This is about "improving" the team.

On the Grienke trade... the Royals sent 2 Million with Grienke and the Brewers in turn sold a ton of tickets...

You would rather have Cairo and Hernadez then Grienke and 2 Million?

Cool.

Lets get real.

Votto, Cueto, Bruce, are all under contract for a few more seasons.

This is about "improving" the team.

On the Grienke trade... the Royals sent 2 Million with Grienke and the Brewers in turn sold a ton of tickets...

You would rather have Cairo and Hernadez then Grienke and 2 Million?

Cool.
    I'd rather have Cairo, Hernandez, Mes, and Cozart than Greinke and $2 million.

Turn Off Ads?