Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft

Re: 2011 NFL Draft

As far as cornerbacks go, I guarantee the Bengals will disagree with me, but even with his injury history, I'd much rather keep Jonathan Joseph over Leon Hall. I think it'd be extremely pricey to resign both of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My try at the top 10:

1.Carolina-Andrew Luck(QB-Stanford)-obvious

2.Denver-Patrick Peterson(CB-LSU)-Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger, and Peterson is an elite CB who can replace him.

3.Buffalo-Blaine Gabbert(QB-Missouri)-I think they take a QB over a defensive player, and Gabbert's stock will rise.

4.Cincinnati-DaQuan Bowers(DE-Clemson)-Bowers and Dunlap will give the Bengals a nice DE tandem for the next decade.

5.Arizona-Cam Newton(QB-Auburn)-Newton has the most upside of any QB in the draft, but is still a raw project.

6.Cleveland-Nick Fairley(DT-Auburn)-I see this being a defensive pick, especially with Holmgren calling it.

7.San Francisco-Ryan Mallett(QB-Arkansas)-The 4th QB to go in the top ten. It's safe to say Alex Smith is a bust.

8.Tennessee-Marcell Dareus(DE/DT-Alabama)-Tennessee needs help on the defensive line.

9.Dallas-Prince Amukamara(CB-Nebraska)-Same situation with Denver, Terrence Newman isn't getting any younger and there really isn't much help on the opposite side of him.

10.Washington-AJ Green(WR-Georgia)-Green should be picked a lot higher than this but given teams needs at QB and defense and questionable character issues will fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think the #1 pick will be available -- especially if no CBA has been signed with a rookie salary system by the date of the draft.
    I think it's a six/half-dozen situation with respect to the pick. First, let's hypothesize that Carolina's new coach, whoever it ends up being, thinks Clausen can play. If not, the discussion's a moot point. But let's say the Panthers like Andrew Luck but don't have to have him. If there's no CBA with a rookie scale, then sure, they'd probably rather deal the pick than stroke a $50 million check. But very few teams are willing to trade up for the privilege of writing that check. Now, let's suppose the new CBA gets done and there's a rookie scale. Suddenly, the Panthers could easily afford Luck -- and so could everyone else. Bidding war, anyone? No telling what kind of haul they could get for the pick in that instance.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Its been announced that the #1 pick is returning to Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Is that nuts or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Didn't he see what happened to Jake Locker?

There will likely be a rookie wage scale in 2012

Does this mean Harbaugh is returning?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that nuts or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Didn't he see what happened to Jake Locker?

There will likely be a rookie wage scale in 2012

Does this mean Harbaugh is returning?
    If there's a rookie wage scale, it'll be in place for the 2011 season. No owner will do a contract with any draft picks until the CBA is in place, and no way the owners miss an opportunity to depress the salary structure immediately.

I'm sure Luck did his legwork (or had people do legwork for him) and realized that there will be a rookie scale, and a good chance OTAs (which would be valuable to him, as a rookie, if he wants to immediately start) will be wiped in the offseason. When you add in that he's likely heading to a franchise in total tail-spin, looking to do stuff on the cheap, if he declares for the 2011 draft, this becomes a much bigger toss-up question.

Can't argue with the decision either way, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Daquon Bowers is now the odds on pick for Carolina.

Denver is still likely to take Peterson

Buffalo supposedly wants a defensive lineman, so Nick Fairley is the odds on choice there.

Suddenly AJ Green is shooting to best player available on the Bengals draft board.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If there's a rookie wage scale, it'll be in place for the 2011 season. No owner will do a contract with any draft picks until the CBA is in place, and no way the owners miss an opportunity to depress the salary structure immediately.

I'm sure Luck did his legwork (or had people do legwork for him) and realized that there will be a rookie scale, and a good chance OTAs (which would be valuable to him, as a rookie, if he wants to immediately start) will be wiped in the offseason. When you add in that he's likely heading to a franchise in total tail-spin, looking to do stuff on the cheap, if he declares for the 2011 draft, this becomes a much bigger toss-up question.

Can't argue with the decision either way, IMO.
    No way a CBA is in place by April 28th. I don't think they can retroactively put a wage scale in after the fact. There'll be no legal way they can keep the owners from signing players once they're drafted

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No way a CBA is in place by April 28th. I don't think they can retroactively put a wage scale in after the fact. There'll be no legal way they can keep the owners from signing players once they're drafted
    I think Cowherd or a guest of his touched on this, this week. Apparently it does apply to new players. The 2011 draft is the last thing collectively bargained. The drafted players can not sign contracts until the CBA is determined. Therefore they will be subject to the rookie wage scale. If I understood them correctly there will be no undrafted free agents signed until the new CBA is agreed to.

All the draft does is ensure that each team has exclusive negotiating rights with a player. This will still be the case this year. The players just won't be able to sign until the new CBA comes into existence
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 01-06-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think Cowherd or a guest of his touched on this, this week. Apparently it does apply to new players. The 2011 draft is the last thing collectively bargained. The drafted players can not sign contracts until the CBA is determined. Therefore they will be subject to the rookie wage scale. If I understood them correctly there will be no undrafted free agents signed until the new CBA is agreed to.

All the draft does is ensure that each team has exclusive negotiating rights with a player. This will still be the case this year. The players just won't be able to sign until the new CBA comes into existence

Well my hopes and dreams are crushed.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Daquon Bowers is now the odds on pick for Carolina.

Denver is still likely to take Peterson

Buffalo supposedly wants a defensive lineman, so Nick Fairley is the odds on choice there.

Suddenly AJ Green is shooting to best player available on the Bengals draft board.
    Not necessarily on Buffalo. I think Blaine Gabbert could be an attractive option for the Bills.

Even then, Marcell Dareus is somebody I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals take. Especially if they go to a 3-4 hybrid defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Ryan Mallett just declared for the NFL draft.

Prediction: Someone is going to fall in absolute love with him to be very, very, very disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Brian Kenny had someone on his show saying that Luck still probably gave up $20-30M guaranteed.

Seems like his value couldn't be any higher than it is now.

Maybe him and Harbaugh have a deal that they'll both return and hopefully next year Harbaugh will take a job with a team that he likes more and have a chance to draft Luck?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Why?

I believe the draft is April 28-30. My order of preference for the Bengals goes like this:

1. Andrew Luck QB (will need more than "luck" for him to be available, although the Bengals have traded for the #1 pick with Carolina before)
    2. Da'Quan Bowers DE
    3. AJ Green WR
    4. Nick Fairley DT
    5. Robert Quinn DE

In the 2nd round, I'd like to see them take the best OL or S on the board.
    WR is the most overrated position in the NFL. Sure, it's nice to have a big target that can stretch the field, but it's still an overrated position. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Give your QB some time, he'll eventually find somebody open (Andre Johnson or Quan Cosby). Considering there's no O-Lineman worthy of the #4 overall pick (Thanks Andre Smith), I'd take Bowers or hope somebody gets desperate and is willing to trade up (unlikely given this year's overall draft class).

Turn Off Ads?