Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony Amezcua

0 0%
  • Tucker Barnhart

2 3.33%
  • Alex Buchholz

0 0%
  • Drew Cisco

8 13.33%
  • Tyler Cline

0 0%
  • Dan Corcino

4 6.67%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Mark Fleury

3 5.00%
  • Didi Gregorius

7 11.67%
  • Jeremy Horst

2 3.33%
  • Jordan Hotchkiss

1 1.67%
  • Jake Johnson

2 3.33%
  • Matt Klinker

2 3.33%
  • Wes Mugarian

0 0%
  • Felix Perez

2 3.33%
  • Cody Puckett

4 6.67%
  • Tanner Robles

0 0%
  • Miguel Rojas

0 0%
  • J.C. Sulbaran

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

15 25.00%
  • Dan Tuttle

1 1.67%
  • Phil Valiquette

7 11.67%
  • Humberto Valor

0 0%
  • David Vidal

0 0%
  • Kyle Waldrop

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal, C
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
    Prospect #16 - Ryan LaMarre, OF
    Prospect #17 - Juan Duran, OF
    Prospect #18 - Junior Arias, SS
    Prospect #19 - Sam Lecure, RHP
    Prospect #20 - Ronald Torreyes, IF
    Prospect #21 - Neftali Soto, IF
    Prospect #22 - Jonathan Correa, RHP
    Prospect #23 - Danny Dorn, 1B/OF
    Prospect #24 - Henry Rodriguez, IF
    Prospect #25 - Kris Negron, IF

-The Insider-

Re: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

I like Val. Even though he had an off-year so to speak, you can't overlook a lefty bullpen guy who pumps 98.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 12-28-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Resident PED Expert

Went Thompson on the belief the Reds will shift him to the bullpen. Has great control and gets alot of swing and misses. Could be a Masset like switch if the Reds full on commit to it.

Corcino for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Could go a lot of ways with this pick. My knowledge of guys is really starting to dissipate this far down the list. I was between Corcino, Thompson, Valiquette and Fleury and went with Fleury. Really love what this kid did in Dayton last year and really like this kid's ceiling as a left-handed hitting catcher. Although, I must admit I sort of wanted to vote for Thompson solely for his W in the old Yankee Stadium and Valiquette because of his left-handed fast ball.

25 down and 15 to go with 20+ on the current list. Nearly half of these guys will get left out so who am I not ok with missing out on the top 40? Really need to find a way to seperate these guys. So who would you be shocked if they didn't make top 40? That is the way to start widdling it down.

Tony Amezcua - Not enough information for me to vote for him at any point in the top 40.
    Tucker Barnhart - The guy has everything you want in an eventual major league catcher sans power, a definite top 40 IMO.
    Alex Buchholz - Loved him out of the draft but seems lately like a poor mans Valiaka, not sure if I can justify voting for him.
    Drew Cisco - Great polish, good not great stuff, not a ton of projection left he's probably in just due to no major weaknesses.
    Tyler Cline - Has pedigree, not sure about anything else on him.
    Dan Corcino - Good stuff, young, great comps. Can he make it thru the injury nexus intact with that small frame.
    Matt Fairel - Marginal Stuff, great makeup and pitchability. Borderline IMO.
    Mark Fleury - He's easily top 30 for me, in fact I think he should have already been in.
    Didi Gregorius - Another easy one for me.
    Jeremy Horst - Just the fact that he is close to the pros makes him an easy top 40 candidate, but not on the 40 man here or anywhere.
    Jordan Hotchkiss - I should know more about Hotchkiss me thinks but I don't so can't justify voting for him.
    Jake Johnson - Young pitchers always get an edge.
    Matt Klinker - Hotchkiss part duex for me.
    Wes Mugarian - Another I don't feel comfortable voting on without more info.
    Felix Perez - Seems like an eventual major leaguer in some capacity so tough to not put him in the top 40.
    Cody Puckett - Could flame out before he reaches the pros but I think he deserves top 40 billing still.
    Tanner Robles - Not enough info.
    Miguel Rojas - Stellar defense will usually get you pretty far, seems to also have a strong work ethic, Janish-esque so gotta say top 40.
    J.C. Sulbaran - Even though his star has faded still one of the more talented arms left, easy vote.
    Daryl Thompson - " "
    Dan Tuttle - Know enough to like his chances but still not enough to figure out just how much. Probable top 40.
    Phil Valiquette - Borderline but a strong LH arm is always intriguing.
    Humberto Valor - Not enough info.
    David Vidal - Huh?
    Kyle Waldrop - Not enough info.

And there are names that still intrigue me we haven't even discussed (Pearl, Fellhauer & Shunick off the top of my head at the moment). Someone said earlier this is deep and I wasn't sure I agreed but now yeah I have to agree. Not alot of upside but certainly alot of guys with some possibilities.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-28-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Didi Gregorius should have been on a while ago. Tools wise, he is up there. Plus speed. Above average defense. Above average arm. Good contact rates. Very athletic. Plays shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Didi Gregorius should have been on a while ago. Tools wise, he is up there. Plus speed. Above average defense. Above average arm. Good contact rates. Very athletic. Plays shortstop.
    Yep, and that's why I went with him. Plus, he passes my "eyeball" test from seeing him in person last year multiple times. Plays a very smooth short, and could probably play 2nd too...which amazes me that so many people picked HRod prior to Gregorious. My Dragons eyeball test only saw 3 potential MLB players on the field last year, and in order...LaMarre, Gregorious, Rodriguez.

It's down to Thompson, Gregorious & Fluery for me right here.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Mario -- Good analysis of the candidates. My only significant swap would be Hotchkiss in, Sulbaran out. I guess that suggests that I value performance more than potential, which could easily be a mistake in this process. But Hotchkiss was the best pitcher in the system last year, and he also performed extremely well late in '09 when he was moved into a starting role. I think we tend to overlook guys who simply find a way to succeed.

One guy who still got left off the list (inadvertently, I'm sure): Josh Ravin.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Oops. Thank you for pointing that out.

Mario -- Good analysis of the candidates. My only significant swap would be Hotchkiss in, Sulbaran out. I guess that suggests that I value performance more than potential, which could easily be a mistake in this process. But Hotchkiss was the best pitcher in the system last year, and he also performed extremely well late in '09 when he was moved into a starting role. I think we tend to overlook guys who simply find a way to succeed.

I appreciate the analysis as well.

I voted Hotchkiss for many of the same reasons as mace cited. He has shown solid improvement and has the frame of a starting pitcher. Batters hit only .216 against him last year. I doubt that he would have been named minor league POY if he didn't have good mental makeup and work habits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I appreciate the analysis as well.

I voted Hotchkiss for many of the same reasons as mace cited. He has shown solid improvement and has the frame of a starting pitcher. Batters hit only .216 against him last year. I doubt that he would have been named minor league POY if he didn't have good mental makeup and work habits as well.
    His frame may suggest starter, but his arm action suggests reliever. I wouldn't expect him to start moving forward except when a scenario arises like it did this year where he has to fill a hole in the rotation because no one is ready to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His frame may suggest starter, but his arm action suggests reliever.
    Can you elaborate on that? Is it a jerky, inefficient motion that suggests he wouldn't be durable?

Can you elaborate on that? Is it a jerky, inefficient motion that suggests he wouldn't be durable?
    He throws nearly sidearmed. Guys with that action don't typically get chances to start long term and the Reds have already put him in the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?