Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cadillac XLR?

The Cadillac XLR?

Does anyone know anything firsthand about these cars? My 26 year old car-nut daughter is sitting in a sales room right now dickering over a price. I looked at the car with her last Thursday, but I thought she had decided to wait. I was hoping the phase would pass because it seems like too much car for her. She has a Nissan 350Z right now.

I know it is basically a Corvette with a Cadillac body. She watched them being made in Boling Green a few years ago.

Anyone familiar with the car?
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-28-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: The Cadillac XLR?

They are fairly rare cars, they were made from model year 2004 to 2009, about 14,000 or so were produced for the world market. It was discontinued in 2009, mostly because it was overpriced. Sticker price on the XLR was about $100-$115k brand new, and GM still had a reputation of spotty quality at the time. For that price range, it was competing with AMG Mercedes, Porsche and a host of other high end cars. The Corvette ZR1 (supercharged Vette) also came out in 2009 and had similar pricing as the XLR, but with much better performance numbers. From a car nuts prospective, why spend $110k on a 415 horsepower Caddy when you can get a 630 horsepower Vette for pretty much the same price?

Even though she's buying it used, insurance is going to be high. High dollar car when new, plus limited production, means parts aren't going to be cheap or easily available, which will drive up the insurance rates.

It was a pretty cool car, but it just never caught on. Most people who are looking for american, ultra high end, fast cars are going to be drawn to the Vette, better performance and cheaper price.

Hope that helps.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I saw them being made in Bowling Green a few years ago, when I toured the plant with my Vette-loving father. It looked like the process to make those was closer to handmade, while the Vette assembly process was faster and more automated.

I keep hearing Clark Howard say on his radio show that this is a great time to buy luxury cars, especially new luxury cars. Prices are down.

Thanks a lot, Reds4Life. She has wanted a XLR for a couple of years when she found one at a local car dealer. It is a 2009 and they are asking $41,000. She was close to closing the deal when she decided to check the insurance. As you said, it was very high at $1,400 every six months. With the $500 monthly car payment she backed out ...for now. She told me she was going home to do some more figuring.

After your helpful information, I hope she decides against this car. She won't really listen to me on this matter. If it were about baseball, she would listen to Dad, but cars (especially fast cars) are her passion.

I'll cut and paste your info and send it to her. Maybe it will do some good. Thanks, again.

Unassisted, the salesman kept telling her that on Thursday when I was with her.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Thanks a lot, Reds4Life. She has wanted a XLR for a couple of years when she found one at a local car dealer. It is a 2009 and they are asking $41,000. She was close to closing the deal when she decided to check the insurance. As you said, it was very high at $1,400 every six months. With the $500 monthly car payment she backed out ...for now. She told me she was going home to do some more figuring.

After your helpful information, I hope she decides against this car. She won't really listen to me on this matter. If it were about baseball, she would listen to Dad, but cars (especially fast cars) are her passion.

I'll cut and paste your info and send it to her. Maybe it will do some good. Thanks, again.

Unassisted, the salesman kept telling her that on Thursday when I was with her.
    That is the other issue you run into with $100k+ american cars, depreciation. That car was over $100k just 2 years ago. Now it can be had for $41k. That's a 60% loss in 2-3 years, ouch.

I did a quick check, 2006 and 2007's are going for under $30k, so she wiill need to factor in more depreciation. If she's taking out a big loan to finance it, chances are she'll be upside down in the loan within a year.

The upside, if you want to call it that , is that 2009 was the lowest production year for the XLR, making it the most rare. GM only produced 787 XLR's in 2009.

A girl who likes fast cars, is she single?!?!

Until its final model year I believe that the XLR used a Northstar V-8 instead of the Corvette V-8.
    I agree with Reds4Life's posts. I wouldn't buy an XLR as my primary car and I would want to have a decent amount of discretionary income before getting one as a second car.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Until its final model year I believe that the XLR used a Northstar V-8 instead of the Corvette V-8.
    I agree with Reds4Life's posts. I wouldn't buy an XLR as my primary car and I would want to have a decent amount of discretionary income before getting one as a second car.
    You're correct sir. Most of them used 4.4 or 4.6L Northstar V8's. Some of the 2009's came with the 6.2L out of the Vette, along with an increased cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    You're correct sir. Most of them used 4.4 or 4.6L Northstar V8's. Some of the 2009's came with the 6.2L out of the Vette, along with an increased cost.
    The one she is looking at has the 6.2L from the vette which makes it even more appealing for her. She has been looking for a XLR but when this particular model became available, she was determined to get it.

And Reds4Life, she loves fast cars, is single, is beautiful, a natural blond, funny, smart, and makes a pretty good salary...and she loves baseball. I'm very proud of her.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-28-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Before she asks, I'm happily engaged.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Before she asks, I'm happily engaged.
    She will be crushed...especially if you have a muscle car.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    She will be crushed...especially if you have a muscle car.
    No muscle car, but it is aero limited to 160 mph.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    No muscle car, but it is aero limited to 160 mph.
    If the aero is that plane-car, she won't be real impressed, but my 87 year-old dad, a former pilot, will be really interested.

I say get it. Life's short.

Coming from the parts end of the business, all Cadillac parts are expensive. When you get into the rarer models of cars the parts become much more expensive and very hard to come by. The car will be expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I say get it. Life's short.
    This seems to be her thought. Right now she is single and making money. She figures she will marry and have kids one day, and her dream car will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2
    Coming from the parts end of the business, all Cadillac parts are expensive. When you get into the rarer models of cars the parts become much more expensive and very hard to come by. The car will be expensive to maintain.
    I have used this argument, but she doesn't seem convinced. She has been driving a Nissan 350Z for the last three years, and it has had no mechanical problems except with tires. And, I'm sure that is because she has these big rims and thin little tires (maybe called high profile). The XLR has tires without air which seems attractive to her.

Turn Off Ads?