Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cadillac XLR?

Re: The Cadillac XLR?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Coming from the parts end of the business, all Cadillac parts are expensive. When you get into the rarer models of cars the parts become much more expensive and very hard to come by. The car will be expensive to maintain.
    This is true. For some reason Cadillac repairs resemble foreign cars in this regard.

I think that's an awfully pretty car. For those of us with families we can't justify a two seater but if she's single and willing to admit that there's nothing practical about putting money into a car and insurance, go for it while you can.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    She figures she will marry and have kids one day, and her dream car will never happen.
    I'd say she's probably right. Since marriage it's been an endless string of automotive "blah" for me.

But in all seriousness, I love exciting cars and they were very important to me in my teens and 20s. Now, I just can't see a good reason to put my money in a severely depreciating asset. If she needs something quick, a C6 Vette would be the safer play (lower mileage examples can be found all day for $25-30K) or, like R4L said, an older model XLR.

If I were in her shoes, I'd probably opt to spend half of that on a very nice pre-owned vehicle, put $5K into a Roth IRA before 12/31, and then add another $5K after the first of the year.

I have used this argument, but she doesn't seem convinced. She has been driving a Nissan 350Z for the last three years, and it has had no mechanical problems except with tires. And, I'm sure that is because she has these big rims and thin little tires (maybe called high profile). The XLR has tires without air which seems attractive to her.
    Just a quick search led me to this. If the Alternator goes bad just the part will cost around $500 and then you have to tack on labor. Then couple that with the fact that it isn't a stocking item for many people and you will have more downtime than expected. Cadillac parts in general are expensive but when you get into their more specialized models they become even more expensive and tougher to get your hands on. Oh and those air less tires cost you a fortune and their ride isn't as good as ones with air in them.

I am not a car guy. I see it as a vehicle to get you from one place to another. I want something that is nice, comfortable, gets good mileage, and will run for a while. To me flash and a big engine are avenues to get in trouble. I just know that when we get calls in for XLR and Catera parts we generally laugh because if we do have them (which is very rare) they are outrageously expensive.

Just curious Spitball, does she have a house yet or is she thinking about parking a $50K car in front of an apartment? In Detroit you'll see $70K boats parked in driveways of $60K houses

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just curious Spitball, does she have a house yet or is she thinking about parking a $50K car in front of an apartment? In Detroit you'll see $70K boats parked in driveways of $60K houses
    She lives in a nice apartment complex overlooking the Arkansas River in Little Rock, Arkansas. There are all sorts of BMWs and other fancy cars parked there.

She now sounds like she is resigned to waiting for an older model XLR, but realizes the chances a not good of finding one as nice as the one she has been looking at. I am afraid the dealership is going to call her today and make some kind of offer that will sound too good to be true. She is ripe to bite on any offer.

As I'm typing she called to say the dealer called and will work to cut $30 a month off her payment. Then, while we were talking just now, he called back. I am waiting for her to tell me what is on the table. I am trying to talk her out of it but she is focused on that car. That dealer knows he has her hooked I'm afraid. I imagine the next time I post she will have taken the bait.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    With good reason -- when you get laid off, you can take the boat with you wherever you end up.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I the realities of the modern workforce make home ownership a bit of a dinosaur concept for many people. If you're going to sink money into something, sink it into something that won't be around your neck like an anvil if you get laid off tomorrow and need to re-locate looking for work immediately.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

My boss bought the XLR a few years back. For the most part he loves it, though it sits in our warehouse most of the year, waiting to break out for nice weather, long trips by himself or just he & his wife, or the occasional frill ride. I do remember there is some part that routinely breaks down around the 15-25,000 mile barrier and isn't exactly a cheap part to repair. May have been the alternator, may have been something else.

She lives in a nice apartment complex overlooking the Arkansas River in Little Rock, Arkansas. There are all sorts of BMWs and other fancy cars parked there.

She now sounds like she is resigned to waiting for an older model XLR, but realizes the chances a not good of finding one as nice as the one she has been looking at. I am afraid the dealership is going to call her today and make some kind of offer that will sound too good to be true. She is ripe to bite on any offer.

As I'm typing she called to say the dealer called and will work to cut $30 a month off her payment. Then, while we were talking just now, he called back. I am waiting for her to tell me what is on the table. I am trying to talk her out of it but she is focused on that car. That dealer knows he has her hooked I'm afraid. I imagine the next time I post she will have taken the bait.
    If he's got her looking at the monthly payment then he's got her. He can do all sorts of things to adjust that. As a consumer we ought never get caught up in thinking in terms of monthly payments. I can see she's going to need a husband who is "well healed".

The one she is looking at has the 6.2L from the vette which makes it even more appealing for her. She has been looking for a XLR but when this particular model became available, she was determined to get it.
    I own a 2008 Corvette that has the LS3 6.2 liter V-8. With 430 HP, it is a blast to drive, and I have averaged a combined 24 mpg as well. The XLR's performance probably would be slightly less, as I assume it carries just a bit more weight than the Vette, but I expect she would enjoy driving the XLR. The cost would be the concern for me, but it sounds as if she may be able to afford it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Jeremy Clarkson from "Top Gear" hated the XLR -- but, you have to take anything that show says about American cars with a grain of salt. They show a clear prejudice towards Italian and German cars on the show (with the exception of Clarkson, who is obsessed with Aston Martin):

YouTube - Top Gear Cadillac XLR V
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Thanks for all the information and advice, guys. I talked to her about a half hour ago, and she is going to go for it at $40,000. She is trying to get them to agree to some kind of warranty. She figures she won't know anything until tomorrow.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Thanks for all the information and advice, guys. I talked to her about a half hour ago, and she is going to go for it at $40,000. She is trying to get them to agree to some kind of warranty. She figures she won't know anything until tomorrow.
    Have her put down as much as she can. If she finances most of it, with the current depreciation rate on that car, she'll be upside down on the loan in a year.

Also, have her get the car checked out by a non-dealer mechanic. It might cost her $100, but could save her money down the road. They will be able to tell her what maintenance needs to be done. Like, does it need brakes, rotors? Does the tranmission fluid look ok, or need to be changed? Things like that. Might seem small, but it can add up. Brakes for example, the XLR runs Brembo calipers, if you buy Brembo pads you can be looking at $200 for just the pads, more if the rotors need to be replaced. Pads and rotors can run you $600+ for just the fronts on Brembo equipped cars. How many miles left on the tires? Low profile tires with high speed ratings aren't cheap either, if they need replaced you could be looking at $1200+ for new rubber.

That way if there are issues, she can adjust her offer accordingly, and it gives her more leverage in the negitiation.

Edit: And get a CarFax on it. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked or had any body work done.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Used to live in Little Rock.... (technically it was Jacksonville, AR......now it's Jacksonville, FL)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Have her put down as much as she can. If she finances most of it, with the current depreciation rate on that car, she'll be upside down on the loan in a year.

Also, have her get the car checked out by a non-dealer mechanic. It might cost her $100, but could save her money down the road. They will be able to tell her what maintenance needs to be done. Like, does it need brakes, rotors? Does the tranmission fluid look ok, or need to be changed? Things like that. Might seem small, but it can add up. Brakes for example, the XLR runs Brembo calipers, if you buy Brembo pads you can be looking at $200 for just the pads, more if the rotors need to be replaced. Pads and rotors can run you $600+ for just the fronts on Brembo equipped cars. How many miles left on the tires? Low profile tires with high speed ratings aren't cheap either, if they need replaced you could be looking at $1200+ for new rubber.

That way if there are issues, she can adjust her offer accordingly, and it gives her more leverage in the negitiation.

Edit: And get a CarFax on it. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked or had any body work done.
    Thanks, Reds4Life. I cut and pasted this post and e-mailed it to her. Actually, I had cut and pasted the entire thread earlier in the day and e-mailed it to her. I know I've appreciated the input, and she appreciates it also.

This is a great place to reach out to people who have specialized knowledge and are generous enough with there time to share it. Thanks everyone.

Turn Off Ads?