Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cadillac XLR?

Re: The Cadillac XLR?

No offense but that's insane IMO.

I just could never justify spending that much money on ANY car.

To each their own I guess...
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was in a somewhat similar situation to your daughter a couple years ago. I was making solid money and had fairly low expenses and really wanted a nice car. I decided to go the lease route and have a three year lease that is up in a few months. I lost my job earlier this year and was out of work for a few months before finding something else. Now I'm not struggling and I make my payments fine, but if I had it to do all over again I would have gone with a cheaper more practical car. Having the extra flexibility would really help me out even though I do really like my car.

Yeah, there is a reason why the resale value of those cars plummeted as it did.

Having a 20-something spend that kind of money on a car is more than a little foolish. But if you're going to and can't be dissuaded, I'd say buy something with a good resale value like a BMW, Lexus, or a Mercedes. There is plenty of sexiness in them as well.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, there is a reason why the resale value of those cars plummeted as it did.

Having a 20-something spend that kind of money on a car is more than a little foolish. But if you're going to and can't be dissuaded, I'd say buy something with a good resale value like a BMW, Lexus, or a Mercedes. There is plenty of sexiness in them as well.
    But this is the car she has wanted for three years. She wasn't out there looking for a sexy car. She all ready had a 350Z but has wanted the XLR.

Cars are her passion. I don't understand it but can accept her decision. It is like a Reds fan purchasing an autographed Barry Larkin jersey. That fan doesn't want the Derek Jeter model even if it has higher resale value.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    But this is the car she has wanted for three years. She wasn't out there looking for a sexy car. She all ready had a 350Z but has wanted the XLR.

Cars are her passion. I don't understand it but can accept her decision. It is like a Reds fan purchasing an autographed Barry Larkin jersey. That fan doesn't want the Derek Jeter model even if it has higher resale value.
    About ten years or so ago I told my then mid-70s law partner that I was debating buying a used Corvette but thought it was not practical. Cars are definitely not his passion, but he gave me an article from a magazine, probably the New Yorker, wherein the author was lamenting not having a car he wanted even though he could afford it. The advice he gave me was if a Vette was my passion and I could afford it, then I should do it (his passions include foreign travel, wine, and photography). Anyway, I bought a '77 Corvette, which I later traded to get a '92 Vette, which I in turn traded for an '08. I appreciated his advice.
    Your daughter buying the XLR is probably every bit as impractical as my buying a Corvette, but if she can afford it I'm happy for her.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    About ten years or so ago I told my then mid-70s law partner that I was debating buying a used Corvette but thought it was not practical. Cars are definitely not his passion, but he gave me an article from a magazine, probably the New Yorker, wherein the author was lamenting not having a car he wanted even though he could afford it. The advice he gave me was if a Vette was my passion and I could afford it, then I should do it (his passions include foreign travel, wine, and photography). Anyway, I bought a '77 Corvette, which I later traded to get a '92 Vette, which I in turn traded for an '08. I appreciated his advice.
    Your daughter buying the XLR is probably every bit as impractical as my buying a Corvette, but if she can afford it I'm happy for her.
    Thanks, RedsBaron. It takes someone who can relate to her passion to understand what she has done here. I have worried about her choice, but she is an adult, single, professional, making very good money...and she absolutely loves cars. She has courage and spunk...and I admire that in her. Although she loves baseball, she is her own person with her own individuality. That individuality includes a passion for certain cars and a desire to own and drive those cars.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Thanks, RedsBaron. It takes someone who can relate to her passion to understand what she has done here. I have worried about her choice, but she is an adult, single, professional, making very good money...and she absolutely loves cars. She has courage and spunk...and I admire that in her. Although she loves baseball, she is her own person with her own individuality. That individuality includes a passion for certain cars and a desire to own and drive those cars.
    Good for her if she got the car she really wanted, life is short and sometimes miserable so anything that brings joy to people I am for.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Good for her if she got the car she really wanted, life is short and sometimes miserable so anything that brings joy to people I am for.
    I agree. I'm happy for her. She is coming home tomorrow and maybe she'll let me take it for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Jeremy Clarkson from "Top Gear" hated the XLR -- but, you have to take anything that show says about American cars with a grain of salt. They show a clear prejudice towards Italian and German cars on the show (with the exception of Clarkson, who is obsessed with Aston Martin):

YouTube - Top Gear Cadillac XLR V
    I've been watching the American version lately, which doesn't seem to have that bias. It's a good show. Unfortunately, the only cars they feature I see myself buying are the beaters they put through goofy challenges or the affordable car they have the guest star drive. With a third child on the way, affordability and practicality are what's in store for me for a long time.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

a little off topic, but has anyone used a car doctor? plug it in and gives you error codes and a computer diagnostic. might also be helpful in this case to catch something quickly.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ahhh, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. It's the dad in me speaking about being sensible. I suppose there is plenty of time in life to be sensible. But there is only a limited amount of time to be not-as-sensible but still be OK. Oh to be young.

Tell her to have fun and buy a radar detector.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Ahhh, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. It's the dad in me speaking about being sensible. I suppose there is plenty of time in life to be sensible. But there is only a limited amount of time to be not-as-sensible but still be OK. Oh to be young.

Tell her to have fun and buy a radar detector.
    Ha! That's excellent advice! I will tell her to get a radar detector.

I did try to warn her about buying this car, but she didn't listen. She has said for a couple of years that she is the only sensible adult in the family, so I sent her the link to this thread. She was so infatuated with that car, it didn't work.

If someone isn't sensible most of the time, that person is almost sure to come to grief. If someone is sensible all of the time, that person is almost sure to later regret always being so sensible.
    Spitball, I hope your daughter has a blast with her XLR.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

If someone isn't sensible most of the time, that person is almost sure to come to grief. If someone is sensible all of the time, that person is almost sure to later regret always being so sensible.
    That is a good saying and would seem to fit her situation. She said many times over the couple of days she struggled with her decision that she knew she would always regret passing on this opportunity. On this decision, she followed her heart.

Spitball, I hope your daughter has a blast with her XLR.
    Oh, you know she will! After trying to talk her out of it, I just hope I get to drive it from time to time.

Ya know, the day that a hot young babe can't drive around in an XLR, well, that's when the terrorists have finally won.

You go, girl. Do it for your country.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?