Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Albums of 2010

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Top Albums of 2010

Another vote for Mumford & Sons Sigh No More. Great, great album.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Never listened to Mumford & Sons before this thread...where the hell have I been hiding? Little Lion Man was all it took to get me hooked.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The only CD (iTunes) I bought this year was The Gaslight Anthem American Slang. Other than that I usually download one song at a time from itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The only CD (iTunes) I bought this year was The Gaslight Anthem American Slang. Other than that I usually download one song at a time from itunes.
    I couldn't imagine not buying the whole album. Don't you feel that there is something special to listening from beginning to end on something?

I also would hate not having the package and art. I prefer Vinyl over anything.

My favorite album of the year was "Everything in between" from No Age.

Loved the Kid Cudi album and Ted Leo's also.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I couldn't imagine not buying the whole album. Don't you feel that there is something special to listening from beginning to end on something?

I also would hate not having the package and art. I prefer Vinyl over anything.

My favorite album of the year was "Everything in between" from No Age.

Loved the Kid Cudi album and Ted Leo's also.
    Lots of people buy songs a la carte. I don't get it either. I am like you - I want the whole album, case and jacket. To each his own, I guess.

I'll agree with the Mumford & Sons vote. Absolutely amazing stuff. Some of the most stirring production I've heard in years.

I was also a big fan of the Black Keys effort. Fun down and dirty blues rock.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    "Sigh No More" was easily my favorite too. Rounding out my top three are "Contra" by Vampire Weekend and "Astro Coast" by Surfer Blood.

And I know it doesn't count since it came out in 2009, but I only discovered it in '10: "I and Love and You" by the Avett Brothers is outstanding.

I also really like the band Girls - only just found out about them.

Same here with the Avett Brothers album. I spent all summer with it. I guess I first heard the material on Austin City Limits, which I think was late last year, but the album was a 2010 experience for me. I'm an old guy who's just discovering how much great music's still being made.

I've bought more new albums this year than I have in some time, and there's still music out there I want to get, such as the Phoenix ans the National lps.

I loved Giving up the Gun and the song Contra, but by and large, I found the album Contra to be underwhelming.

Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons is $5 on Amazon right now. I meant to check them out months ago after liking one of their videos on VH1 and forgot until this thread, bought the album just now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I loved Giving up the Gun and the song Contra, but by and large, I found the album Contra to be underwhelming.
    It didn't quite measure up to their first album for me, but I still really enjoyed it, especially the more I listened to it. I agree about Giving up the Gun, but I also think Horchata is a great song.

I had a chance to see three of my 2010 favorites in concert this year: Vampire Weekend in Asheville, NC, Mumford and Sons in Washington, DC, and the Avett Brothers in Charlottesville, VA. All three were phenomenal shows.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Hadn't really listened to the Avett Brothers until this thread either...quite like them as well. They are coming to this big festival in Live Oak, FL (a redneck burg about 40 minutes north of Gainesville) on 03/26...gonna go check them out.

I like the Avett Brothers album a lot too. Mumford & Sons just didn't resonate with me, not sure why. Could be that his voice reminds me of Dave Matthews who I loathe.
    School's out. What did you expect?

"that woman, she's got eyes that shine...like a pair of stolen, polished dimes"

Quality song-writing right there....excellent jam

My favorite 3 new albums of the year are by the Kings of Leon, the Black Keys, and Broken Bells with Kings of Leon blowing away the competition.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Wasn't Sigh No More released last year?

Turn Off Ads?