Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sydney Crosby the most dominating athlete in sports today?

Is Sydney Crosby the most dominating athlete in sports today?

I'm trying to come up with an athlete in a major sport that compares with him right now. I watched him tonight and his vision/speed/power is just incredible. I'm trying to come up with someone on his level and Tom Brady is about the closest I can find.

Thoughts?

Just posted and immediately wondered why I spelled his name wrong
    Last edited by Cedric; 12-28-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Title Spelling.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Sydney Crosby the most dominating athlete in sports today?

Gotta disagree. Crosby has been lights out this year, but Ovechkin has been the more dominant player the past couple of seasons. Now that Boudreau is changing the gamestyle in D.C., Ovechkin's stats are taking a beating. Between the two, I'd still take Ovie.

But I don't think you can look at team sports and identify the best player as the most dominating athlete in sports. Instead, you have to look at individual sports to name the most dominant athlete.

A few years ago, it'd be a toss up between Tiger, Lance Armstrong, and Federer. But it's funny how all that has changed in a matter of a year or two. Tiger's pretty much been AWOL since the divorce fiasco, Lance is retired (?), and Nadal has taken over the tennis game.

My bet would be Manny Pacquiao though. And it wouldn't even be a question if it weren't for a blood test/Mayweather running away from it.

If anybody says LeBron James, I will slap you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

It would be hard to argue against Crosby right now. He'd get my vote today.

If a tree falls in a field and it no one hears it does it make a sound? Crosby may be the best player in sports but with the exception of your hockey fan no one really watches him play.

If your going to talk about the most dominating athlete in sports today you really need to limit it to the big 4. If you don't you could throw in people like Kelly Slater or even Lindsay Vonn who have dominated their sports over the past few years.

For my money the most dominating player in sports today is Tom Brady. The guy just has total control over the entire field, doesn't get rattled, and wins at a high rate.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

For my money the most dominating player in sports today is Tom Brady. The guy just has total control over the entire field, doesn't get rattled, and wins at a high rate.
    If a NFL tree falls in Europe would a soccer fan care?

Probably about as much as you care about the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I don't follow the NHL at all but I care a lot more about that than I do soccer.

The last I heard of Sydney Crosby was in the Olympics. He may be the most dominant but honestly I wouldn't know. I think Tom Brady would be pretty tough to top

Albert Pujols has averaged .331, 43 doubles, 41 homers, 119 runs, 123 RBIs his first 10 years.
    Here's the thing: Only nine players in baseball history have pulled off that Pujols average season even once in their careers.
    http://twitter.com/jposnanski
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It may be Reds Zone blasphemy, but I would give the nod to Pujols. Crosby is great but Ovechkin has been better. Jimmy Johnson is on a spectacular run in NASCAR but has not dominated as as long as Pujols. Tiger has dropped off and the tennis greats aren't untouchable. There are so many athletes that can be named as the most dominant in their sport, but what Albert has done over the past decade is mind boggling. We are watching perhaps the greatest first baseman in the game's history, and certainly one of the top players of all time.

European Soccer has found its way to ESPN. Can't say the same thing about the NHL

I don't really care about either sports until the big events come. The World Cup, Olympics, Stanley Cup, and Champions League Final. I think the vast majority of sports fans care a little less than I do about these sports.

I keep forgetting that "sports" just means NFL, MLB and NBA (in that order) and that the USA has a patent on what "sports fans care about"

I keep forgetting that "sports" just means NFL, MLB and NBA (in that order) and that the USA has a patent on what "sports fans care about"
    You forgot figure skating. The stellar sports give you points for uniforms and presentation...

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    It may be Reds Zone blasphemy, but I would give the nod to Pujols. Crosby is great but Ovechkin has been better. Jimmy Johnson is on a spectacular run in NASCAR but has not dominated as as long as Pujols. Tiger has dropped off and the tennis greats aren't untouchable. There are so many athletes that can be named as the most dominant in their sport, but what Albert has done over the past decade is mind boggling. We are watching perhaps the greatest first baseman in the game's history, and certainly one of the top players of all time.
    Disagree...at least the way the question is phrased. "Today", Joey Votto played just as well (some would argue a little better, some would argue a little worse) as Albert...hence to me Albert is not single-handedly dominant.

If we are going back a decade, you have a case, but to me, today, Albert is a great player but frankly looking a little gimpy with Votto playing just as well.

If he qualifies as an athlete, I'd go with Jimmy Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Disagree...at least the way the question is phrased. "Today", Joey Votto played just as well (some would argue a little better, some would argue a little worse) as Albert...hence to me Albert is not single-handedly dominant.

If we are going back a decade, you have a case, but to me, today, Albert is a great player but frankly looking a little gimpy with Votto playing just as well.
    I think going back at least a few years is an absolute must. It gives some perspective. In my opinion to be truly dominant you have to sustain it for a while. Just asking who had the best season most recently doesn't give much of a reference point for domination.

Turn Off Ads?