Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Sydney Crosby the most dominating athlete in sports today?

Re: Is Sydney Crosby the most dominating athlete in sports today?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I think going back at least a few years is an absolute must. It gives some perspective. In my opinion to be truly dominant you have to sustain it for a while. Just asking who had the best season most recently doesn't give much of a reference point for domination.
    I guess you read the question differently than me. (The question includes the words "today" and "right now".

1) Albert winning the 2011 MVP. (or MVP aside, having the most dominant season by an individual player)

2) Jimmy Johnson winning the 2011 NASCAR championship.

Which has a better chance of happening? I'll go with JJ.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I keep forgetting that "sports" just means NFL, MLB and NBA (in that order) and that the USA has a patent on what "sports fans care about"
    In essence when you ask this question you have to draw the line somewhere. As I mentioned above if you include all sports you have to include Kelly Slater who has dominated Surfing, Lindsay Vonn who has redefined women's skiing. Even more so Shawn White who has not only dominated the Snowboard half pipe but also skateboarding. I don't watch enough soccer but I know Messi is pretty damn good. And who knows there may be a cricket player in India who is phenomenal or a rugby player in New Zealand that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In essence when you ask this question you have to draw the line somewhere. As I mentioned above if you include all sports you have to include Kelly Slater who has dominated Surfing, Lindsay Vonn who has redefined women's skiing. Even more so Shawn White who has not only dominated the Snowboard half pipe but also skateboarding. I don't watch enough soccer but I know Messi is pretty damn good. And who knows there may be a cricket player in India who is phenomenal or a rugby player in New Zealand that is great.
    Original post said.. "I'm trying to come up with an athlete in a major sport that compares with him right now. I watched him tonight and his vision/speed/power is just incredible. I'm trying to come up with someone on his level and Tom Brady is about the closest I can find"

Personally I find Crosby amazing and I could care less if ESPN ever shows hockey again, popularity in media is a poor measuring stick when talking about a players dominance.

As far as "major"r soccer is the most popular sport in the world, has the most viewers, the most leagues and some damn fine players.

Even though some folks don't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I guess you read the question differently than me. (The question includes the words "today" and "right now".

1) Albert winning the 2011 MVP. (or MVP aside, having the most dominant season by an individual player)

2) Jimmy Johnson winning the 2011 NASCAR championship.

Which has a better chance of happening? I'll go with JJ.
    I would put Johnson almost on par with Albert. I have no qualms with someone picking him. I definitely would have a gripe with Crosby, who can't definitively be argued as the best in his sport over the past several seasons nor be easily projected as the best next year. Both Albert and JJ could be easily seen to do what you described above. In reality I don't think we can ever come to a consensus, which is what makes sports so fun.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You forgot figure skating. The stellar sports give you points for uniforms and presentation...
    Figure skating is much more popular in places like Canada and Japan right now than it is in the United States so I'm not even sure how it ended up in this comparison.

I would agree that Shaun White is the most dominating athlete in sports right now simply because he's been dominating two different sports for like eight years (skateboarding and halfpipe). I can see how Tom Brady or Jimmie Johnson might be named too though.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Figure skating is much more popular in places like Canada and Japan right now than it is in the United States so I'm not even sure how it ended up in this comparison.
    I would agree that Shaun White is the most dominating athlete in sports right now simply because he's been dominating two different sports for like eight years (skateboarding and halfpipe). I can see how Tom Brady or Jimmie Johnson might be named too though.
    Figure skating found its way in just like skateboarding and the halfpipe.

Actually figure skating is very popular in this country, but I wasn't speaking to its popularity. A lot of things are popular

I agree that there has to be a track record when it comes to this topic. There are those one year wonders. Cargo had an unbelievable year. However am I going to put him in the same category of a Votto or Pujols? Absolutely not. I am a Cards fan so I am a bit biased, but for my money it is Pujols. I don't think looking at just his stats you can say he is dominant (though his stats are mind boggling to begin with). It is the way pitchers pitch to him (or don't) and how managers treat Pujols.

There are very few players of any sport that could have been voted into the Hall of Fame in only a 10 year time period. I know the NFL is a bit different because the playing life is shorter. Still in that sport most of the HOF'ers played for 10 years or more. Pujols is the only player besides Ichiro, in baseball right now that has played in the game for 10 years or less who is a lock for the Hall of Fame. If something tragic happened to Pujols, he could go into the HOF right now. A case could be made for Ichiro being dominant but he doesn't put the fear in pitchers or is as big of an offensive threat as Pujols is.

To kind of back myself up with stats, here is some food for thought:

He is the only player in MLB history to have 10 straight years of .300 avg, 30 hrs, and 100 RBI's. Even Lou Gerhig and Babe Ruth didn't do this.

In every year he played, he has never failed to be in the top ten in MVP voting. In fact, in 9 of those years he placed in the top 4 of MVP voting.

He is a 9 time all star. What is amazing is that the year that he failed to make an all star appearance, he placed 2nd in MVP voting behind Barry Bonds

He is a 3 time MVP even in the decade when Bonds was winning MVP's.

He has never struck out more than 100 times in a year.

He has scored over 100 runs in 9 of his 10 years. The only year he failed to score over 100 runs was in 2007 where he scored 99.

He has the highest career batting average of any active player in baseball even if you put Ichiro into the category.

He has the 6th best OPS+ in MLB history and the 4th best slugging percentage in MLB history. Only Ruth, Williams, and Gehrig have a better career slugging percentage.

I don't think you can compare what Sean White and others in minor sports have accomplished to what athletes in the major sports have done. Yes, Sean White is dominant at his sport. However with the NHL, MLB, NFL, etc, it is so much more difficult to crack the pro's in those sports that it cannot compare with skateboarding. In skateboarding, there isn't a minor league system in which a player has to play at a high level to even get a sniff of the majors. With the NFL, you have players from over 100 major colleges to compete with. I just think its almost apples and oranges comparing skateboarding to the NFL or MLB.

As far as Crosby goes, I don't think you can put him in this category because an argument for Ovetchkin and even a Steve Stamkos can be made.

I can't put Brady on this list because he isn't even the best QB. I would put Manning on this list before Brady.

There is still the argument of Lebron vs. Kobe.

Even if you want to go to the skateboarding level there are still people that are close to on par with Sean White.

That is why I still think Pujols is the most dominant athlete of any sport in North America. Right now there is Pujols and everyone else. I guess a case could be made for Roy Halladay but at the same time Lincecum, Cliff Lee, Felix Hernandez, and Wainwright do give him stiff competition.

I kinda like that Americans don't embrace soccer. I don't need everything to be globalized. Makes travelling that much more interesting.

And, ftr, basketball is the most popular sport in the world for those under 35.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?