Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Cincinnati Date ideas?

Hey Cincinnatians,

This Daytonian here has a quick question.

I'm taking a lovely lady who attends UC out on a date tomorrow evening, and was looking for some date ideas. I've got reservations at Jeff Ruby's downtown, but not completely sold on whether or not that's where I want to take her quite yet.

As someone unfamiliar with the winter restaurant/entertainment scene down south, can someone help a guy out with a good plan?

Many thanks!
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Make sure you're wearing Sex Panther.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Its been a few seasons since I lived in Cincy, but I'd choose The Precinct over Jeff Ruby's. Both are owned by Jeff Ruby, don't know that you can go wrong with either, but I like the feel of The Precinct better. The Precinct is on Route 50, close to Mount Lookout if you wanted to head to a bar afterwords, though many of the bars in that area tend to get crowded and loud.

Is Shadowbox caberet still open? Its at New Port on the Levee and is a live comedy/music show that's typically very entertaining. There's a handful of small breaks b/w skits/music that will give you a quick chance to talk, at least more than say a movie, but like anything of its kind if you want to do more talking than "watching" I'd pass. On the flip side, its close to several bars, including the Haufbrau House should things be going well and you/she wants to extend the date.

Ruby is a good choice. What do you want to do? You can head out to Ruby's then ice skate at fountain square or hit up some bars in the area. Newport on the Levee has a number of things to do. They have both a Shadowbox and Funny Bone IIRC. There is also a movie theater and you have Hofbrauhaus right next door if you want to get some drinks.

The Precinct is also a nice choice if you want to head up to Mt. Lookout Square or Hyde Park Square. Hyde Park Square has a little bit more going on in the summer than it does in the winter.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ruby's is nice, but it's really upscale -- if you're planning on doing booze / wine & an app, you're going to find the check heading north of $150 pretty quickly. Without knowing anything about the situation (how many times you've been out with this person, what your/her expectations are, etc.), I'd just advise that you make sure that the setting of a place like Ruby's is what you're looking for. For me, personally, I wouldn't take anyone I was seeing casually to Ruby's as it's entirely too "formal" a setting (and also, IMO, runs the risk of giving off the wrong vibe -- that I'm trying to impress and/or trying to buy my way in for something more).

YMMV, though.

If you're looking for other "nice" places to go for a date in the downtown area, my preference would be to look at places like Nada, Roma, Palomino's or the Boathouse. If you're willing to expand outwards a bit, I also like Indigo and Tellers in Hyde Park as a date location (both on Hyde Park Square, along with Graeters for after-dinner). Teak in Mt. Adams is also fantastic, and has the added benefit of being close to any number of after-dinner watering holes.

If you're doing a more casual / less-pricey type dinner, my favorite spots are Biagio's in Clifton (great, reasonably priced Italian food in a fun little bistro), Arthur's in Hyde Park (great beer and tied with Quatman's & Zips for best burger in town), Zip's in Mt. Lookout (great burgers), and Green Papaya in Oakley/Hyde Park (sushi & thai).

Good luck!
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Hard to say, not knowing what you and your date like to do, but I'm pretty sure Arnold's still has their courtyard covered and heated. With a little live music (that won't drown out conversation), it's a nice and casual place to go. It's a pretty quirky place too, with theater people and artists, but I wouldn't say it's bohemian or anything like that.

I haven't been to Ruby's or the Precinct in a long time, but either one is going to be a better "restaurant" experience than Arnolds. More expensive, too, by a long shot.

Disclaimer: Arnold's is owned by a friend of mine, so I'm obviously biased towards the place.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Hard to say, not knowing what you and your date like to do, but I'm pretty sure Arnold's still has their courtyard covered and heated. With a little live music (that won't drown out conversation), it's a nice and casual place to go. It's a pretty quirky place too, with theater people and artists, but I wouldn't say it's bohemian or anything like that.

I haven't been to Ruby's or the Precinct in a long time, but either one is going to be a better "restaurant" experience than Arnolds. More expensive, too, by a long shot.

Disclaimer: Arnold's is owned by a friend of mine, so I'm obviously biased towards the place.
    Arnolds has a great atmosphere to it -- food is just OK, though. Admittedly, I've only been for lunch and haven't done dinner, so it might be better than the soup/sandwich that I had the last time I was there.

Not that I'm one to ever be giving advice when it comes to dating or women, but I've always found that I had better results when I took women to places that were a bit different. My rationale was always that any guy with an AMEX card can take a girl to the Precinct or to Rubys -- I'd rather stand out from the crowd a little by going someplace small or someplace interesting (especially if I'd been there before and could tell her what was especially good on the menu).

Just IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

My Aunt and Uncle live in Norwood....they have a semi-functioning jacuzzi on their screened-in back porch and an 18" hi-def TV in the living room. The house has central heating and air and there is a spare bedroom with a waterbed (half full), jellyfish wallpaper and a disco ball - perfect place to fulfill all your romantic fantasies.. Plenty of jiffy-pop on hand as well.

I'll call them and let them know to expect you guys.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Make sure you're wearing Sex Panther.
    Surprised you didn't throw out your normal date idea...30 pack of Natty Light and a drive-in movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Surprised you didn't throw out your normal date idea...30 pack of Natty Light and a drive-in movie.
    30 pack? What's she gonna drink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    30 pack? What's she gonna drink?
    The other 30 pack.

Case Race!
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    My Aunt and Uncle live in Norwood....they have a semi-functioning jacuzzi on their screened-in back porch and an 18" hi-def TV in the living room. The house has central heating and air and there is a spare bedroom with a waterbed (half full), jellyfish wallpaper and a disco ball - perfect place to fulfill all your romantic fantasies.. Plenty of jiffy-pop on hand as well.

Hilarious. Good work.

I wouldn't take a first date to Zips. Great burgers and reasonably priced but the line could be outrageous and there can be very little privacy.

I like Bangkok Biestro much better than Teak but thats just me.

I have always thought Arthurs was over rated. May not be a bad place for a date, but definitely not in the same league as Ruby's.

If you want to stay in Clifton Dewey's Pizza may not be a bad idea.

I do enjoy the Boathouse. My wife and I used to go there on dates while we were dating. Food is good, price is ok, service is very good. Make sure you make reservations if you head down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

Hilarious.

Actually, the lady and I have been friends for a long time, but has become romantic over the last 2 months. Upscale isn't a problem, as I am a bartender who has to work friday night, so tomorrow night is kind of our "new years eve date." I think we'd both prefer it to be a little more upscale, as we never really get a chance to go out dressed up, and this would be a good opportunity.

She's not a drinker, so I don't forsee too much in the way of a ton of booze at Ruby's, but I think $125-$150 is the max I'm looking to spend on dinner, but if the place is right, i'm willing to go higher.

I think iceskating would be pretty awesome, but at the same time, I'm almost positive she'll be showing off her new years eve dress a night early for me, so I don't think that'll be in the cards.

So basically, something not too booze heavy (she's not a drinker), and will be conducive to us being dressed up.
    Last edited by Brutus_the_Red; 12-29-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ruby's is nice, but it's really upscale -- if you're planning on doing booze / wine & an app, you're going to find the check heading north of $150 pretty quickly. Without knowing anything about the situation (how many times you've been out with this person, what your/her expectations are, etc.), I'd just advise that you make sure that the setting of a place like Ruby's is what you're looking for. For me, personally, I wouldn't take anyone I was seeing casually to Ruby's as it's entirely too "formal" a setting (and also, IMO, runs the risk of giving off the wrong vibe -- that I'm trying to impress and/or trying to buy my way in for something more).

YMMV, though.

If you're looking for other "nice" places to go for a date in the downtown area, my preference would be to look at places like Nada, Roma, Palomino's or the Boathouse. If you're willing to expand outwards a bit, I also like Indigo and Tellers in Hyde Park as a date location (both on Hyde Park Square, along with Graeters for after-dinner). Teak in Mt. Adams is also fantastic, and has the added benefit of being close to any number of after-dinner watering holes.

If you're doing a more casual / less-pricey type dinner, my favorite spots are Biagio's in Clifton (great, reasonably priced Italian food in a fun little bistro), Arthur's in Hyde Park (great beer and tied with Quatman's & Zips for best burger in town), Zip's in Mt. Lookout (great burgers), and Green Papaya in Oakley/Hyde Park (sushi & thai).

Good luck!
    I didn't think to mention the price, but I assumed you knew that heading in. Its pretty easy to drop $150-$200 in either place. May or may not be an issue. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, but still nice, I'd second Teak if you like thai/sushi. Plus there's a ton of bars in the area. If you're looking more casual, then I'd recommend Terry's Turf Club for a burger/different atmosphere. Its made its way on the Food Network, but if the weather is poor, you're likely going to have to stand outside before you can get a spot. Zips is up the road a bit and also good, but you also stand a chance of having to stand outside (I'm 99% confident you would be at Terry's, Zips can very a bit). Both places have community seating, so if its packed, you'll be sharing a table which could be unique, or could annoy her. After a couple of minutes, you won't really notice the people next to you, but some people are more self conscious than others.

Turn Off Ads?