Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Re: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The other 30 pack.

Case Race!
    Good call. A drinking contest is perfect for a date night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus_the_Red View Post
    Hilarious.

Actually, the lady and I have been friends for a long time, but has become romantic over the last 2 months. Upscale isn't a problem, as I am a bartender who has to work friday night, so tomorrow night is kind of our "new years eve date." I think we'd both prefer it to be a little more upscale, as we never really get a chance to go out dressed up, and this would be a good opportunity.

She's not a drinker, so I don't forsee too much in the way of a ton of booze at Ruby's, but I think $50 a plate is probably the max that I'm looking to spend on an entree.

I think iceskating would be pretty awesome, but at the same time, I'm almost positive she'll be showing off her new years eve dress a night early for me, so I don't think that'll be in the cards.

So basically, something not too booze heavy (she's not a drinker), and will be conducive to us being dressed up.
    Not sure about the pricing at Ruby's, but you'll spend about $35 - $50 for each meal at the Precinct. Shadowbox is mostly casual, but you won't stand out too much unless you've got a Suit & Tie on.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Good call. A drinking contest is perfect for a date night.
    If you can still find some Four Loko for sale, you'll be in.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Are you looking mainly for restaurant suggestions or are you looking for suggestions for dinner + an activity?

There are a ton of really great places to eat, depending on your taste and budget. Most of my favorite date are semi-upscale Italian restaurants. Bella Luna is good, as is Biaggio's in Clifton. I actually took my fiancee to Biaggio's for our first date so it will always have sentimental value for us. If you're okay with venturing out to the suburbs, Maggiano's in Kenwood is also an option. I'm generally not a huge fan of chain restaurants but I've always found the food at Maggiano's to be quite good and it's a very nice, romantic atmosphere.

If you're looking for something a little more upscale, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Jeff Ruby establishments. I prefer the Precinct over Jeff Ruby's but a downtown restaurant may be a better option if you're looking to go out afterward. If you like Mexican-ish food Nada is another good option.

As for activities, I'd recommend some ice skating on Fountain Square or maybe even the Festival of Lights at the zoo.

Mecklenburgs? I stopped by there last year about this time and had some hella Sauerbraten. Then you can go to the Highland for some awful service and a nose full of Patchouli.

@CE- Arnold's has a dinner menu, but I think the food is secondary to the experience of going to the old place. It's a hangout, more than a restaurant.

If the plan is to stay in Clifton, why not one of the Indian joints? Or Deweys? Then go to Graeters.

Or, how about Covington/Newport. Haven't been to Scalea's in a while, but I think it's still pretty good. Or Dee Felice? Hofbrauhaus over in Newport is certainly an experience, too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Anybody know the name of the cafe on Eastern avenue? I drove by last night on my way to a party and it was packed. It's east of Columbia Tusculum, and lit up like crazy, with dozens of neon signs. New to me.

Ruby's is arguably the most expensive Restaurant in the city. I don't know how far along you are with this girl but there's nowhere to go up from there.

This is where we really miss LaNormandie which was downstairs from the Maisonette. It was intimate yet reasonably priced. In fact I can think of a date that was more impressed with my choice of that resaurant than she was of me.

Let me make this suggestion. Jean Robert had a casual restaurant downtown and after he had a falling out, he's no longer involved but it's a nice little French Bistro-like place. It's now called the Bistro

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bistro-cincinnati

It's just a few steps south of Fountain Square on Vine. It's more of a wine and brie place as opposed to beer and nachos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ruby's is arguably the most expensive Restaurant in the city. I don't know how far along you are with this girl but there's nowhere to go up from there.

This is where we really miss LaNormandie which was downstairs from the Maisonette. It was intimate yet reasonably priced. In fact I can think of a date that was more impressed with my choice of that resaurant than she was of me.

Let me make this suggestion. Jean Robert had a casual restaurant downtown and after he had a falling out, he's no longer involved but it's a nice little French Bistro-like place. It's now called the Bistro

It's just a few steps south of Fountain Square on Vine. It's more of a wine and brie place as opposed to beer and nachos.
    Good call! Not over the top like a Ruby place, yet food prepared well in a very professionally run shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Anybody know the name of the cafe on Eastern avenue? I drove by last night on my way to a party and it was packed. It's east of Columbia Tusculum, and lit up like crazy, with dozens of neon signs. New to me.
    I assume that's gotta be Terry Turf Club? Next to Bella Luna? My wife first heard about it as one of the top 10 burger joints in America on MSN.com, its been on Dine-in, Drives Thrus and Dives (or whatever that's called on the Food Network or Travel Channel). Its about 4 years old I think, has a ton of signs out front, usually has a line, very good burgers, free peanuts you toss on the floor when your done, limited seating. Had the Filet Mignon chilli a few weeks ago, don't know if they always have it, or if was just a "special", but it was pretty good. pricy for chilli as you might expect, and not a huge portion, but worth a try. The Burgers are pretty big, and fairly priced.

Definently worth the trip, unless your talking of another joint on Eastern

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I like Terry's Turf Club -- the filet mignon chili is especially awesome -- but I think it's more sizzle than steak when it comes to the burgers. It's especially not worth the wait you usually have to get in on a nice night.

For my money, the burgers at Zips, Arthurs or Quatman's are just as good with little of the accompanying inconvenience.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I second the Precinct recommendation. My wife and I go there every few months. Great place.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I agree, if this is a first date, especially with a college girl, I would say any of Ruby's places are going to be over the top. Pick some place that is quiet and you can talk, it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

If you do stick with one of Ruby's places, make sure you tell her in advance there is a dress code. The typical attire of someone in college isn't going to be permitted in one of his restraunts for dinner. No jeans, sneakers, etc. Just an FYI.

Biaggio's on Ludlow. It's close to campus, has the hole-in-the-wall feel, and doesn't come across as pretentious or overly showy (like Jeff Ruby's would). At UC, it was my go to date restaurant and it never let me down. Lady Paint and I still make it a point to eat there every few months.

On Fridays and Saturdays, the small wine shop across the street (Ludlow Wine and Gifts) does beer and wine tasting for $5. It's a great little shop and you get more than your money's worth out of it. Start there then grab dinner afterwards.

Depending on what you're up to after dinner, there's the Esquire (indie movie theater), Sitwells for coffee and Graeters within a block. And you don't have to leave Clifton. Public parking is on Howell next to the IGA entrance for cheap (any of the businesses on Ludlow will validate your parking).
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-29-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Biaggio's on Ludlow. It's close to campus, has the hole-in-the-wall feel, and doesn't come across as pretentious or overly showy (like Jeff Ruby's would). At UC, it was my go to date restaurant and it never let me down. Lady Paint and I still make it a point to eat there every few months.

On Fridays and Saturdays, the small wine shop across the street (Ludlow Wine and Gifts) does beer and wine tasting for $5. It's a great little shop and you get more than your money's worth out of it. Start there then grab dinner afterwards.

Depending on what you're up to after dinner, there's the Esquire (indie movie theater), Sitwells for coffee and Graeters within a block. And you don't have to leave Clifton. Public parking is on Howell next to the IGA entrance for cheap (any of the businesses on Ludlow will validate your parking).
    The only problem there is that those are all our normal spots for a typical date night. We've spent many-a-night at Sitwells, Olives, Biaggio's, etc.

I'm looking to take her somewhere a little classier, so dress codes and whatnot aren't going to be a problem.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I assume that's gotta be Terry Turf Club? Next to Bella Luna? My wife first heard about it as one of the top 10 burger joints in America on MSN.com, its been on Dine-in, Drives Thrus and Dives (or whatever that's called on the Food Network or Travel Channel). Its about 4 years old I think, has a ton of signs out front, usually has a line, very good burgers, free peanuts you toss on the floor when your done, limited seating. Had the Filet Mignon chilli a few weeks ago, don't know if they always have it, or if was just a "special", but it was pretty good. pricy for chilli as you might expect, and not a huge portion, but worth a try. The Burgers are pretty big, and fairly priced.

Definently worth the trip, unless your talking of another joint on Eastern
    That's the place. I'm disappointed to know it's burgers, the appeal of which I understand, but not to the degree that I'd stand in line for one.

Turn Off Ads?