Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redsfan320's Projected 2011 MLB Depth Chart Spreadsheet

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Redsfan320's Projected 2011 MLB Depth Chart Spreadsheet

It's here. I used a combo of MLB.com and ESPN's depth charts, as well as my on sense in some places. The FAs are the top 10 FAs left at the position as of the time of first publishing (More will not be added), except for starters and right-handed relievers, where there were so many I included the top 20 ranked by B-R WAR. My FA list was from MLBTR. There was at least one player (Jeremy Bonderman) who MLBTR had listed, but who I was aware had retired. For ties in WAR in the FA Rankings, I used OPS or ERA as the tiebreaker.

I plan on updating as often as possible. Feel free to inform me via this thread or PM if you see any errors. I know Francisco and Barton are in the same cell, I can't get them separated.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Redsfan320's Projected 2011 MLB Depth Chart Spreadsheet

Great job, 320. Thank you for doing that.

Thanks for the compliment, camis.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Version 1.1- JC Romero (RP-FA->Phi) resigns with Phillies

It appears the only way for me to get the formatting right (bold for team names, italicized for positions, and red for the Reds), it to do it on one thing at a time every time. That's not gonna happen. Oh well.

MODS, feel free to STICKY this thread. THANKS

Version 1.2- Royals sign Zach Miner (RP-FA->KC) to MiL deal, WAR says he's not good enough to crack Royals pen, but I removed him from FA list.

Version 1.3- Orioles sign Derrek Lee (1B-FA->Bal), I put him as starting 1B, moving Jake Fox (C-Bal) to backup C and bumping Craig Tatum (C-Bal) off my spreadsheet as he's now just 3rd C. Red Sox sign Hideki Okajima (RP-FA->Bos), WAR says he's 4th guy in the pen, bumping Robert Coello (RP-Bos) off the sheet.

Version 1.4-
    Pirates resign Brian Burres (SP-FA->Pit), WAR says he gets 5th starter spot, pushing Charlie Morton (SP-Pit) off the spreadsheet.
    Red Sox sign Hector Luna (UP-FA->Bos), he doesn't crack the spreadsheet.
    Rangers sign Brandon Webb (SP-FA->Tex), he makes 4th starter, bumping Derek Holland (SP-Tex) to 5th starter, and Scott Feldman (SP-Tex) off the spreadsheet.
    Rangers DFA Max Ramirez (C-1B-Tex).
    Rangers DFA Clay Rapada (RP-Tex), thereby moving him off the 40-man, thereby moving him out of the pen, thereby moving Feldman back onto the spreadsheet as 7th man out of the pen.
    Dodgers sign Tim Redding (SP-RP-FA->LAD), doesn't crack Dodgers rotation or pen.
    Blue Jays sign Chad Cordero (RP-FA->Tor), ties Rommie Lewis (RP-Tor) in WAR, barely beats him in ERA in a very small sample size for both of them, pushing Lewis off spreadsheet.
    Mariners sign Miguel Olivo (C-FA->Sea), he becomes starting C, pushing Adam Moore (C-Sea) to C2 and Chris Gimenez (C-MiSea) off the spreadsheet.
    M's DFA Anthony Varvaro (RP-Sea), who didn't crack the sheet anyway.
    Mets sign Chris Capuano (SP-FA->NYM), doesn't crack rotation acc. to Mets.com.
    Mets sign Taylor Bucholz (RP-FA->NYM), acc. to Mets.com, new 'pen is as seen in updated spreadsheet.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

My gut tells me if healthy Capuano makes the Mets rotation.

On the Reds does Hermida displace Barton? And why LeCure over Burton? I assume that you suspect LeCure gets the nod for some reason other than he is better.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My gut tells me if healthy Capuano makes the Mets rotation.
    WAR says so too, but the Mets.com depth chart says he's 7th in starting depth, and I figure they know their plans better than either of us.

On the Reds does Hermida displace Barton?
    Probably. I'll update the sheet in a few minutes, and whatever WAR says will go, unless Reds.com has updated the chart already.

And why LeCure over Burton?
    Reds.com chart has LeCure over Fisher, Maloney, and Smith in the pen. Burton isn't even listed as pitching depth. For whatever reason, they may be done with him as a major leaguer.

Version 1.5-
    Switched Chapman and Masset, making Chapman SU1, as I found on Reds.com chart. Don't know why I didn't originally have them this way.
    Reds sign Jeremy Hermida (OF-FA->Cin), WAR says in Barton's very limited '08 sample size, he beats out Hermida's 2010. My own sense says otherwise, and Hermida becomes OF2, bumping Barton off the sheet.
    Indians acquire Joe Martinez (SP-Pit->Cle) from Pirates for PTBNL or $, he doesn't crack rotation.
    Orioles sign Kevin Gregg (RP-FA), WAR says he beats out Mike Gonzalez for closer, pushing him and everyone else behind him back one spot in the O's pen, and pushing Rick Vanden Hurk off the sheet.
    Mariners resign Josh Bard (C-FA->Sea), while there will be competition in ST, WAR says he beats out Adam Moore for backup catcher to Miguel Olivo.
    Rangers sign Adrian Beltre (3B-FA->Tex), he becomes starting 3B, moving Young to DH, Murphy to OF2, and (a different) Beltre off the sheet.
    As we all knew would happen, the Nats (finally) sign Adam LaRoche (1B-FA->Wsh). LaRoche becomes starting 1B, pushing Morse to UP, and 3rd C Flores off the sheet.

1st off, if I didn't make it clear originally, I rank players mainly by WAR. This is BASEBALL-REFERENCE WAR (rWAR, as RMR put it) unless otherwise mentioned. Thank you. Now onto business-

Version 1.6-
    Corrected Greg Dobbs' name to "Dobbs" instead of "Dobba".
    Tribe sign Doug Mathis (RP-FA->Cle), doesn't crack Indians pen
    Orioles resign Caesar Izturis (SS-FA->Bal), Bell moves up to IF1, Izturis is IF2, and Andino is booted off the sheet
    Jays claim Wil Ledezma (RP-Pit->Tor) off waivers from Pirates, doesn't crack Jays pen says WAR
    Red Sox claim Max Ramirez (C-Tex->Bos) off waivers from Rangers, he beats Saltalamacchia for C1 and Varitek for C2. However, Varitek will stay on the big league roster because of his intangibles. This pushed Salty all the way off the sheet.
    Padres sign Kevin Frandsen (IF-FA->SD) to MiL deal, doesn't beat out Cabrera or Salazar for a bench spot.
    Rays sign Chris Carter (LF-FA->TB), he makes OF2, pushing Perez off the sheet.
    Indians DFA Brown (IF-Cle) so he's off the sheet (for now). Jason Donald (IF-Cle) moves into the IF2 spot.
    Reds sign Edgar Renteria (SS-FA->Cin). I'm slotting him as starting SS for now, moving Janish to IF2 and Valaika off the sheet.

Version 1.7-

A's acquire Guillermo Moscoso (RP-Tex->Oak) from Rangers for MiLB player. He doesn't crack A's pen.
    Cubs acquire Matt Garza (SP-TB->ChC) and Fernando Perez (OF-TB->ChC) for Sam Fuld (OF-ChC->TB) and MiLBers. Garza becomes SP2 acc. to Cubs.com DC, pushing Silva off the sheet. Perez takes Fuld's place as Cubs OF2. Fuld doesn't crack Rays bench. Jeremy Hellickson (SP-TB) takes Garza's place as SP5, while Niemann and Davis move up to SP3 and SP4, respectively.
    Cubs claim Max Ramirez (C-Tex->Bos->ChC) off waivers from Red Sox. He doesn't crack the chart with the Cubs, and things go back to the way they were catcher-wise with the BoSox, with Varitek staying as C2 and Saltalamacchia coming back up as C1.
    Due to something I noticed at Mariners.com, Ryan is starting 2B, swapping him with Figgins as IF1. Also, Wilson beats Tuiasosopo for IF2. There are probably tons of small up-for-debate things like this on the chart.
    White Sox sign Will Ohman (RP-FA->ChW), I redid ChiSox pen with how their site is now showing it.
    Mariners sign Adam Kennedy (2B-FA->Sea), he doesn't crack chart, but it does remove him from FA pool.
    Reds sign Fred Lewis (OF-FA->Cin). Reds.com still shows Gomes as starting LF, but I'm not buying it (). So Lewis becomes starting LF, pushing Gomes to OF1, Heisey to OF2, and Hermida off the sheet.
    Tigers sign Brad Penny (SP-FA->Det). He doesn't crack rotation, but is removed from FA pool.
    Rays sign Kyle Farnsworth (RP-FA->TB). He beats out Sonnanstine, so Sonnanstine and everyone below him move down one spot in the pen, pushing Cesar Ramos off the sheet.
    Cubs sign Reed Johnson (OF-FA->ChC) to MiL deal w/ ST invite. He beats out Perez for OF2. Perez moves to UP, pushing 3rd C Wellington Castillo off the sheet.
    Marlins sign Dewayne Wise (OF-FA->Fla). He makes OF2, pushing Petersen to UP and 3rd C Hayes off the sheet.

I'm putting the odds and -77.952% that LeCure makes the team over both Bailey and Willis. And isn't Bailey out of options?

I see the logic in Arredondo, but I don't see him making it over either of them either.

Great work, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?