Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best games

Best games

MLB Network is counting down the best games in the modern era. I would like to ask you all what are your favorite or best games you have seen. I make no bones about it, I'm an unabashed Cardinals fan so some of my choices are going to be around the Cardinals. I am also 27 so most of my choices will probably be from 95-present:

2006 NLCS, game 7, Cardinals vs. Mets: This might be the best game I have ever seen and it actually might be on the official MLB Networks list. This game had everything you wanted. Great plays, clutch moments, etc. The most memorable thing about this game is Wainwright (aka Cold Blooded Assassin) striking Beltran out looking with the bases loaded, sending the Cards to the World Series.

Halladay no hits the Reds: Though I had no real dog in the fight from this series, I was kind of rooting for the Reds because of the NL Central affiliation. Still, that might have been one of the best pitching performances I have ever seen considering the situation.

Tigers vs. Twins 09 play in game: Another game that went down to the wire with a clutch hit from Alexi Cassilla to put the Twins in the playoffs.

Yankees vs D-backs, game 7 2001 World Series: Not only was this a great game but it had a larger significance behind it. Overall, it was a brilliant series start to finish but this is the sort of game that stands out because of the attacks on September 11th. Baseball, at this time, was almost a comfort for America and this single game embodied that American spirit. The D-backs were down 2-1 in the 9th going up against Rivera. Womack ties the game and Luis Gonzalez gets a game winning hit with the bases loaded. This is one of the few times where the circumstances elevated it to more than just a game.

20 inning game Mets vs. Cardinals: I don't know if this would qualify as one of the best games I have seen but it was very interesting and kind of fun to watch. You almost wanted to keep it going. What was missed in this game is the brilliant pitching performance by rookie Jaime Garcia. I don't think he gave up a hit until the 7th inning.

Dodgers vs Cardinals July 29, 2009: I loved this game. There were heroics on both sides. Brilliant pitching, key defensive plays (even from Manny of all people), and a game winning hit by Pujols capped off this game. I found the recap from ESPN and if you read it, it will give you greater detail. It should be noted that there were over 3200 comments from fans on this game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290729124

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best games

Two games I've been in attendance for stick out to me:

Opening Day 2005, Reds vs. Mets: Adam Dunn hits two home runs including the game-tying shot in the bottom of the 9th inning. Joe Randa then sends us all home happy with a walk-off home run.

Aroldis Chapman's MLB Debut: The park wasn't even full that night against The Brewers but there was a buzz in the air unlike any I had really ever experienced at the park. When he started warming up, the place went crazy. When he came in the game, crazier. It was just a fun night to be at the park, and, The Reds won and moved another game ahead of The Cardinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

By the way, here is a list of the nominations the MLB Network is using:

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/greatest_games/index.jsp

I'm going to second you on Game 7 of the 2001 World Series also, Mike.

That was a game for the ages. I can remember watching that in my basement with my dad like it was yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    By the way, here is a list of the nominations the MLB Network is using:

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/greatest_games/index.jsp
    Second row in the middle. It says "Reds win on Bench's shot"..Looks like someone didn't do their homework.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

My best game in person was a double header against the Braves at Crosley Field on May 17th, 1970 when the legend of the Big Red Machine was in its infancy. (Man I'm old.)

In the first game the Reds crusied to a win. Pete Rose and Tony Perez hit HR.

The second game was the great one though. Hank Aaron got his 3000th career hit in the 1st inning (an RBI single) and hit 2 run HR later as the Braves jumped ahead early. The Reds battled back and tied it in the 8th on a solo HR by Pete Rose. The Braves scored three in the top of the 10th and lt looked like a loss. The Reds came back when Johnny Bench (who started this game as the Reds' Centerfielder BTW) hit a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 10th and then tied it when Lee May followed Bench with a HR in the same place. We were sitting in the bleachers in RF and both HR landed just a couple rows in front of us. The Reds won it in the bottom of the 15th when Don Gullett singled home Dave Concepcion. This game also marked the ending of Rico Carty's 30 game hitting streak that opened the 1970 season. Up to that point in the year, the MVP talk was focused primarily on Carty and Tony Perez so this was a bit of a showdown. While Carty was having his streak broken, Perez homered in game 1 and had 5 hits in game 2.

If a day like that and a game like that second game happened today with all the media coverage, it would have its highlights shown for weeks and it would be legendary on Redszone.

Here's a link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97005172.shtml
    Last edited by mth123; 02-14-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

On TV:

Game 5 of the 72 play-offs against the Pirates when Bench homered to tie it in the bottom of the 9th and Foster scored the winning run on a wild pitch to send the Reds to the series. Game 7 in 1975 with Perez homering off of Bill Lee's blooper pitch (see my avatar) and the Reds winning the championship qualifies.

Non-Reds would have to be Kirk Gibson's PH HR off of Eckersely in the 1988 series.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-14-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Best Game I Ever Saw is a two parter, with part one only made bearable by the sequel. Game Six of the 1975 World Series remains, on the merits, the Greatest Game I Ever Saw, but I couldn't stand to even type those words had there not been Game Seven of the 1975 World Series, a great game in its own right.
    I watched a lot of great games over the years and a lot of them are on the MLB network list, including the Red Sox victory over the Twins on the final day of the 1967 season with Boston fans mobbing Jim Lonborg after the win, the 1967 All Star game won by a Perez HR, the 1970 All Star game capped by Rose bowling over Fosse, the tense game seven win by the Pirates over the Orioles in game seven of the 1971 World Series, the Reds victory over Pittsburgh in game five of the 1972 NLCs featuring Bench's game tying HR, the Reds two victories in the 1973 NLCS which featured game winning HRs each time, the Bucky ********* Dent Yankees playoff win in 1978, game five of the 1980 NLCS, game seven of the 1991 World Series with Morris's ten inning shutout, game five of the 1992 NLCS with Sid Bream's winning slide, game seven of the 2001 World Series, etc.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 02-14-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

tough it would never make the list, basically b/c it was a meaningless game in the middle of the summer (I think), but the inside the park "walk-off" homer game by Junior was hands down the most fun game I've ever witnessed in baseball. There was the Pujols bomb over the black wall in CF in old Cinergy, the first one to clear that wall I believe, where my buddy & I were discussing prior to the game if we ever thought a ball could clear that thing. There was a game tying homer in the 8th or 9th by Kelly Stinett, the knock down of the Cardinals 2b (I sould remember the name, he was pretty important to them, but it escapes me now), then the blast to left CF, where Edmunds just missed it, and Junior circled the bases to win it in 10.

medford, speaking of Pujols bombs, I can't believe I left this off my list. Game 5 (I believe) 2005 NLCS Cardinals vs. Astros. Pujols was up with two outs in the ninth. If he fails, the Astros win the NLCS and go onto the World Series. He is facing Brad Lidge who, at that time, was almost untouchable as a closer. The go ahead runs are on base. Lidge throws a slider I believe and Pujols hits one of the farthest home runs I have ever seen. That ball might still be going. One of the top ten clutch moments on my list. While the Cardinals lose the next day and the White Sox go onto beat the Astros in the World Series, that homerun is still probably more remembered than the eventual outcome of that series or that preceding World Series.

I'm going to second you on Game 7 of the 2001 World Series also, Mike.

That was a game for the ages. I can remember watching that in my basement with my dad like it was yesterday.
    Yeah, that was a very special series. It just made you feel good. It is also the first time I was actually rooting for the Yankees. That year, it was OK to root for all New York teams.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 02-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Worth The Wait

No mention of any of the games from the 1986 post season? Game 5 of the ALCS? Game 6 of the NLCS? Game 6 of the WS? All classics.

Edskin, i wasn't cognizant of my own existence in 1986 so I cannot comment on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    No mention of any of the games from the 1986 post season? Game 5 of the ALCS? Game 6 of the NLCS? Game 6 of the WS? All classics.
    That game 5 of the ALCS is still one of the most dramatic games I have ever seen. 1986 for some reason did have a bunch of great games. I have quite a few of those post season games on some old VHS tapes.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Best game on TV? Game 4 of the 1990 NLCS (LF Davis throws out Bonilla from CF), followed closely by game 1 of the 1990 WS.

Best game I was at? When Pete broke Ty Cobb's record.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

For a game 7 of a World Series 1991 doesn't get much better,IMO. 2001 and 1975 isn't far behind either. It's really hard to narrow down all the great games over time. Just way too many of them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?